cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVERCLOCKING - where do I begin?

Live_Ammo
Level 10
After years of waiting I have finally switched over from laptops to PC and the transformation has been one hell of a journey! I had to learn about everything from scratch as I was going to do it in style: 'my first PC build'. Thanks to years of drooling over builds on youtube I had to pursue the dream.

Well not fully transformed yet but I'm so close to ''completion'' - literally a matter of days (assuming the keyboard arrives in one piece and I correctly configure the PCIE SSD to run Windows)

The next pursuit was always 'overclocking'. I don't know where to begin. I made sure my build was OC compatible with the following parts:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/GbHNr7

Are there any guides for absolute beginners with clear-cut instructions? lol with images or videos..i like those, though not necessary. Put it this way - the easier the better 🙂
110 REPLIES 110

Korth
Level 14
Your link doesn't work for me, it redirects to https://ca.pcpartpicker.com

Click "Settings & Functions" near the top right corner of this page, select "Edit Profile" from the drop-down menu, enter details about your system specs into the text fields (on the lower half of the Edit Profile page), and of course click "Save Changes" when done. Specific part numbers/brands/models will get more specific answers from the forum users.

There are good overclocking guides for every ASUS motherboard and many chipset or processor parts here. Technical details and settings are usually well explained, although there's always a few which are left deliberately obscure by ASUS or are simply beyond the realm of "normal" overclockers uninterested in exotic world-record overclocks. Advanced users like Chino, Arne, and Elmor often offer very informative answers to users at all technical levels.

If you want "best" overclocking results then you'll need to read some guides and be prepared for sessions of methodical tweaking and testing (and endless rebooting). It's slow at first but much less time consuming after you've figured things out. Impatient or uninformed users often end up with poor results, unstable systems, even damaged hardware.

I found Youtube a good place to start. I watched some "overclocking for noobs" vids at first, then (after I felt they were too repetitive and a little insulting) I watched vids of "professional" overclockers actually overclocking the same (or similar) parts as what I was using.

Have a good motherboard, good PSU, and good cooling. Always think twice before increasing any voltage on any thing. Be willing to back off (and maybe do a more reading, watching, or research) when things get too hot or too difficult. Only change one parameter at a time so you can easily isolate problems and effects. Don't expect someone else's settings to work with your particular parts. Write things down. Have a working boot drive and a system install/image ready to go at all times. Make backups before making major changes to software (and, if you're smart, test the backup by attempting to restore it to make sure it works and that you won't encounter any technical obstacles later when restoring/recovering data on a borked system is actually needed).

Many people will advise you immediately update to the most recent BIOS firmware. Not bad advice, especially on a new platform with nothing else installed, although I always prefer to leave working firmware intact unless given a significant reason to change it (new version fixes something I actually use, adds something I actually will use, the usual vague promises of "increased performance" and "increased stability", whatever).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Your link doesn't work for me, it redirects to https://ca.pcpartpicker.com

Click "Settings & Functions" near the top right corner of this page, select "Edit Profile" from the drop-down menu, enter details about your system specs into the text fields (on the lower half of the Edit Profile page), and of course click "Save Changes" when done. Specific part numbers/brands/models will get more specific answers from the forum users.

There are good overclocking guides for every ASUS motherboard and many chipset or processor parts here. Technical details and settings are usually well explained, although there's always a few which are left deliberately obscure by ASUS or are simply beyond the realm of "normal" overclockers uninterested in exotic world-record overclocks. Advanced users like Chino, Arne, and Elmor often offer very informative answers to users at all technical levels.

If you want "best" overclocking results then you'll need to read some guides and be prepared for sessions of methodical tweaking and testing (and endless rebooting). It's slow at first but much less time consuming after you've figured things out. Impatient or uninformed users often end up with poor results, unstable systems, even damaged hardware.

I found Youtube a good place to start. I watched some "overclocking for noobs" vids at first, then (after I felt they were too repetitive and a little insulting) I watched vids of "professional" overclockers actually overclocking the same (or similar) parts as what I was using.

Have a good motherboard, good PSU, and good cooling. Always think twice before increasing any voltage on any thing. Be willing to back off (and maybe do a more reading, watching, or research) when things get too hot or too difficult. Only change one parameter at a time so you can easily isolate problems and effects. Don't expect someone else's settings to work with your particular parts. Write things down. Have a working boot drive and a system install/image ready to go at all times. Make backups before making major changes to software (and, if you're smart, test the backup by attempting to restore it to make sure it works and that you won't encounter any technical obstacles later when restoring/recovering data on a borked system is actually needed).

Many people will advise you immediately update to the most recent BIOS firmware. Not bad advice, especially on a new platform with nothing else installed, although I always prefer to leave working firmware intact unless given a significant reason to change it (new version fixes something I actually use, adds something I actually will use, the usual vague promises of "increased performance" and "increased stability", whatever).

I will definitely fill-in the specs in the profile a little later, as soon as I'm freed up. For now, did the easy thing, copy and paste from PCPP

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/GbHNr7
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/GbHNr7/by_merchant/

CPU: *Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£275.00 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler (£135.95 @ Aria PC)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1g Thermal Paste (£4.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£182.52 @ Alza)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£176.64 @ Alza)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£176.64 @ Alza)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£0.00)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£212.40 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£67.79 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card (£716.99 @ CCL Computers)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£74.96 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£89.63 @ BT Shop)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit (£0.00)
Case Fan: Corsair - ML140 Pro LED 97.0 CFM 140mm Fan (£19.97 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: NZXT - Aer RGB120 61.4 CFM 120mm Fan (£22.74 @ Aria PC)
Case Fan: NZXT - Aer RGB140 71.6 CFM 140mm Fan (£24.95 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Asus - VC239H 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor (£0.00)
Monitor: Acer - XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor (£598.99)
Keyboard: Logitech - G610 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£63.99)
Mouse: Logitech - G203 Prodigy Wired Optical Mouse (£0.00)
Headphones: Kingston - HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset (£74.95 @ Amazon UK)
Speakers: Logitech - Z200 0W 2ch Speakers (£26.00)
Other: HUE+ with led strips (£56.17)
Other: Aqua KyroM HEATSINK SSD M.2 2280 (£16.91)
Other: Shakmod (CPU) 8-pin ATX 30cm White Sleeved Extension + Combs (£8.99)
Other: Shakmod (GPU) 8-pin Pcie (6+2 pin) White Sleeved Extension 30cm + Combs (£9.59)
Other: Shakmod (GPU) 6-pin Pcie White 30cm Sleeved Extension Cable + Combs (£8.39)
Other: Shakmod (MOBO) 24-pin ATX 30cm White Sleeved Extension + Combs (£11.99)
Other: 3mm clear acrylic perspex sheet A4 x2 (£4.20)
Other: Tingkam 5​050 5M Led​ Strip Kit (£17.99)
Other: VonHaus Single Arm Monitor Mount (first) (£0.00)
Other: VonHaus Single Arm Monitor Mount (second) (£0.00)
Other: 8-gang Brennenstuhl 3M surge extension lead (£29.00)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-24 14:00 BST+0100

Is there a link to a video I could view? On the most part I find the video tutorials/reviews to be the easiest to follow especially with the demonstration of actual configurations shown on screen alongside the step-by-step process. I know there are a couple of videos already available but since I have zero-knowledge in this area, I hope you can recommend one as a starting point.

Definitely not looking for extreme oc'ing, more interested in the 'super-safe' basic stuff for now, I guess its to wrap my head around it. Once i'm comfortable with the basics, hopefully by next year I'm already looking for some major upgrades. Esp for work (IMG/VID editing). Oh, and custom water cooling - thats definitely on the list of the 'hypnotic enthusiasm'.

About backing up data and BIOS upgrades. I won't be placing any data prior to OCing. On the issue of BIOS updates, I totally get what you mean that some users recommend it and others don't. I've queried this issue on PCPP, tomshardware and with others. I always get mixed opinions, some are SUPERRRR adamant to do it, and likewise, others detest the idea unless problems suggest otherwise. Then theres the moderate group 'Yeah, its good but you don't have to'. lol I'm just confused on this issue. Since it's a new machine I am edging towards updating BIOS with the manufacturers upgrade informing of the following:

STRIX Z270E GAMING BIOS 1009
Improved device compatibility.
Update SKL/KBL CPU microcode.
Improve system performance and stability.
Improve system boot time.
Fixed Logitech device issue.
Fixed Hot-key function.

Question is, are these good enough reasons?

JustinThyme
Level 13
If you intend to push a decent OC first thing is a different MOBO. This is entry level and wont get you the best results.
The Maximus series is where to start. Dont need the extreme but at least a code and preferably a formula or apex. Yes they cost a little more but its a drop in the bucket to the rest. If you are looking into overclocking and intend on an enthusiast build one of the best pieces of advice I can give you is get the parts right the first time. Wandering down the wrong path having champagne dreams and expecting to achieve them on a beer budget isn't going to happen.

Next thing I see you have two separate memory kits on your list, HUGE no no!! Always buy single kits. Not saying 100% that they wont work perfectly but the forum is full of posts of mixing kits even the same exact part number and having nightmares over it. You can also kick that speed up a little to like 3600 and it will run well on the Z270 platform.

The Toshiba HDD needs to go back. Spinners are a thing of the past. If its just for data storage then get an external USB 3.0, its actually faster!!

Im not much on the AIO coolers but they are better than air and a lot cheaper than a custom look where you spend the same amount on just the CPU block!

Stay away from the 60Hz monitors!!! You want 100Hz or better. No sense in having a GPU that will spit out 100 FPS when the display only does 60.

The rest is either good or just a matter of preference.

When you get it together post up your progress. Plenty of pointers to be had here. Condensed Version of recommendations......MOBO to maximus series, at least a code. RAM to single 4x8 kit insted of 2 2x8 kits, no spinners allowed, and go for at least a 100Hz monitor. The rest looks good, EVGA 1080TI, supernova psu, Samsung NVMe etc all good. You might want to rething the OS from home to pro. The two biggest reasons for me is domain, remote login and data encryption.

Good luck and take your time with it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
If you intend to push a decent OC first thing is a different MOBO. This is entry level and wont get you the best results.
The Maximus series is where to start. Dont need the extreme but at least a code and preferably a formula or apex. Yes they cost a little more but its a drop in the bucket to the rest. If you are looking into overclocking and intend on an enthusiast build one of the best pieces of advice I can give you is get the parts right the first time. Wandering down the wrong path having champagne dreams and expecting to achieve them on a beer budget isn't going to happen.

Next thing I see you have two separate memory kits on your list, HUGE no no!! Always buy single kits. Not saying 100% that they wont work perfectly but the forum is full of posts of mixing kits even the same exact part number and having nightmares over it. You can also kick that speed up a little to like 3600 and it will run well on the Z270 platform.

The Toshiba HDD needs to go back. Spinners are a thing of the past. If its just for data storage then get an external USB 3.0, its actually faster!!

Im not much on the AIO coolers but they are better than air and a lot cheaper than a custom look where you spend the same amount on just the CPU block!

Stay away from the 60Hz monitors!!! You want 100Hz or better. No sense in having a GPU that will spit out 100 FPS when the display only does 60.

The rest is either good or just a matter of preference.

When you get it together post up your progress. Plenty of pointers to be had here. Condensed Version of recommendations......MOBO to maximus series, at least a code. RAM to single 4x8 kit insted of 2 2x8 kits, no spinners allowed, and go for at least a 100Hz monitor. The rest looks good, EVGA 1080TI, supernova psu, Samsung NVMe etc all good. You might want to rething the OS from home to pro. The two biggest reasons for me is domain, remote login and data encryption.

Good luck and take your time with it.

Hi, I knowingly opted for an affordable mobo based entirely on my budget with the following in mind 'sufficient ports/connectivity, on-par performance and baseline entry level OCing'. I guess the Build priority was to make sure it was compatible for my work and gaming purposes withing a budget. Considering I had to learn everything in the space of a few months to bring about my first build, I paced myself with certain limitations not to go over-board with inexperience, like extreme overclocking, custom liquid cooling, etc but lucky for me my budget held its own. Actually I initially started off with a budget of £2000 and ended up spiking up to £3000+ when learning what I could achieve with the mammoth 1080ti GPU and 2k IPS displays, etc. For me, though restricted, these parts are a BIG DEAL as I'm moving up from a 17" DELL XPS L702x laptop and it's my first time owning a PC. But I totally get what you mean....I definitely want to touch on pushing the limits higher in the near future, when affordable, as my newly adopted enthusiasm seems to have zero-limits.

RAM: I am a little concerned with the mention of 2 sets of RAMs incompatibility. I had no idea this could be a problem! When purchasing I was looking to get a set of 4 sticks, but with none in stock I picked up 2 sets of 2s amounting to 32 gig. I have already opened the packaging and installed the sticks on mobo but have not powered up yet as the build is nearing completion. Will the seller accept a return? (Ebuyer). Or should I first finish up with the build, power up and test them first? Also what would I be looking for in order to see if these are compatible?

STORAGE: In the PCPP list, I have a fast PCIe M.2 SSD storage unit which is intended to run Win 10 (BTW thanks for pointing out PRO version, i need to amend the list). A second storage unit I have listed is the Samsung 850 EVO SSD which will be used for active data. The third is the 3TB HDD which I picked up for archived work images and videos which I have about 1.5 TB worth and the remainder 1.5TB will be used for incremental backups amongst other non-active data storage. Again, budgeting restrictions apply! Alternative 3TB solutions are way more expensive and speed for the third storage for me is not an issue, though regular backups could benefit, but so far for me my backup solution runs silently in the background like a stealth ninja.

AIO: Bro you would not believe how much time I spent considering custom liquid cooling with hard tubes and flourescent accents. In the end I somewhat accepted defeat in fear of deep pocketed errors with zero experience. Once I know I got my build spot on, this is definitely something right up there amongst the list of priorities for early future upgrades. I was initially considering a £350-£400 kit from the EKWB's configurator, wanted to do it in style lol

DISPLAY: You might have overlooked the second Display, i have 2 on the list. The Acer XB271HU is a 2K runner @ 165hz. The 60Hz one on the list is marked as '£0', I picked that up from our office as a secondary for work purposes only.

< awakened in agony with the RAM situation....don't know if I should contact ebuyer immdiately or just wait and test out the sticks first?

Korth
Level 14
Wish I could see that part list, lol.

HDD remains the best price-per-GB option for bulk storage, but I agree SSD is seriously the only way to go for boot/system drive, lol.

I don't prefer AIO coolers either. But DIY liquid cooling is extra work (and it's work that rewards you, but still ... it's work) while huge air coolers have their own drawbacks.

Raja's thread, don't mix RAM kits. Not impossible to get mismatched kits to run together. With a great deal of frustrated tweaking and testing to get less than spectacular performance and stability. The days of adding in any random memory stick because "it just works" are long gone in the age of extreme-performance DDR4.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Nate152
Hi Live_Ammo

If you haven't purchased your ram, you'll definitely want to go with a single 32GB kit as you're asking for problems when combining kits. If you're just gaming 16GB is enough.

First thing to do is pray you get a good cpu, all are not created equal. 🙂

It's at your discretion if you want to update the bios, I get better Realbench scores with bios 0801. Bios 1004 - 1009 addresses a hyperthreading bug but to be honest I never noticed this bug.

There are some good guides here on the forum and plenty of youtube videos on overclocking but in the end you're just raising the cpu core ratio and increasing the cpu core/cache voltage for stability, increasing the voltage raises temps and you'll need to keep an eye on temps when overclocking.

I recommend installing HWinfo as it gives you the cpu core speed, cpu core voltage, temps and monitors most everything else on your pc. For stability testing I like ROG Realbench.

Hwinfo - Install the native 64-bit version.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

ROG Realbench

https://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

Once you get these two programs installed you can give your system a run at default settings to see where temps are and what kind of voltage the cpu is drawing, this will give you an indication of how good of a cpu you got and how well you installed your cooler. I see you went with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, it's the best thermal compound on the market at the moment and is what I use too.

I deleidded my 7700k and used Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut between the die and IHS which dropped temps an average of 15c, I have it overclocked to 5.2GHz.

Core clock, temps, and voltage (Vcore).

Click the pic to make it bigger.

What are "Maximum" temps and voltage showing after running the Realbench benchmark at default settings ? You can post us a screenshot of HWInfo after the test has completed.

Nate152
Test out the sticks first you may get lucky and get them to work. You'll want to set the frequency, voltage and primary timings manually instead of using X.M.P. You may need to tweak the cpu system agent voltage and cpu vccio voltage to achieve stability but as a starting point you can let them on auto.

The Strix z270e is a good overclocking motherboard, here is a review with it overclocking the i7-7700k to 5.1GHz with 1.34v. Unless you delid your i7-7700k temps will become the limiting factor fast.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Motherboards/ASUS-Strix-Z270E-Gaming-Motherboard-Review/Overclocking-a...

If you need help setting your ram manually just say so. 🙂

Nate152 wrote:
Test out the sticks first you may get lucky and get them to work. You'll want to set the frequency, voltage and primary timings manually instead of using X.M.P. You may need to tweak the cpu system agent voltage and cpu vccio voltage to achieve stability but as a starting point you can let them on auto.

The Strix z270e is a good overclocking motherboard, here is a review with it overclocking the i7-7700k to 5.1GHz with 1.34v. Unless you delid your i7-7700k temps will become the limiting factor fast.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Motherboards/ASUS-Strix-Z270E-Gaming-Motherboard-Review/Overclocking-a...

If you need help setting your ram manually just say so. 🙂

Thanks Nate,

Will definitely try the sticks first - Is this as simple as booting up in BIOS to see if BIOS recognises 32-gig? or was the following the process which is necesary for checking when you said "You'll want to set the frequency, voltage and primary timings manually instead of using X.M.P. You may need to tweak the cpu system agent voltage and cpu vccio voltage to achieve stability but as a starting point you can let them on auto."

Excellent links in both posts. I'm glad you hooked me up with the Z270E OC review as this will give me some bearings on what to aim for without over exerting potentials. I had no idea what to aim for.

Can you recommend a video showing how these results are achievable - possibly for the same or similar Asus mobo? I have hardly ever used any of the functions in BIOS besides setting ''boot sequences" on my laptop when re-installing/upgrading Windows. So you can imagine why I am asking for a visual demonstration like asking an adult to hold my hand for a walk in the part 😛

I have to ask how easy would you consider the delidding process? I have considered viewing user super positive reviews but I'm a little hesitant. Also, about the grizzly thermal compound at hand, I haven't applied it since I wanted to run some temp tests using the Krakens stock paste with a 4 fan push/pull config. Then compare the results with the grizzly. As odd as it may sound, the grizzly is first choice and the inevitable solution but for some weird comparative satisfaction I wanted to compare the temps as to how the grizzly outperforms the Krakens thermal patch. If I ever delid, which may be the third phase of comparative upgrades, I will need to grow some balls first lol

Nate152
Delidding is safe and easy with the Rockit 88 tool, if you'd like to see my results start here on page 9, 6th post down. Justin delidded his 7700k too and we both can hit 5.2GHz and we have better cooling.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92094-Maximus-IX-Code-A-little-insight-and-delidded-7700k/...

Yes, it's as simple as booting into the bios and seeing 32GB is recognized and should be running at the default frequency of 2133MHz and default voltage of 1.20v. Before overclocking your cpu, see if you can get your 32GB of ram stable.

Your bios may be a little different than mine but is basically the same.

1) In the bios on the Extreme Tweaker or AI Tweaker tab scroll down to Dram Frequency and select 3200MHz.
2) Scroll down to Dram voltage and enter in 1.35v
3) Go to Dram Timing Control and at the very top enter in the first three timings with a command rate of 2.

For instance if your kit has timings of:

command rate 2N

You'd enter

command rate 2N

The middle two timings are tied together.

You can look on the box or each stick for the timings.

Then hit F10 and Enter to save and Exit. This is where you cross your fingers and hope it boots but if it doesn't, don't get discouraged as this is when you will need to raise the cpu system agent voltage and cpu vccio voltage and both will be listed down by the CPU Core/Cache voltage. Some boards use an offset, some boards (like mine) let you enter the exact value, I'm not sure how yours is.

If it doesn't boot, start with both cpu system agent and cpu vccio voltage at 1.15v then try booting, if still no go bump them both to 1.20v then try booting, if still no go bump them both up to 1.25v then try booting, somewhere in this voltage range should be enough to get you there. If you get it to boot you can leave them as is or take time to fine tune them.

Good luck and let us know how you make out, if you have any questions please ask. You get your ram stable I'll help you overclock your cpu if you like, you'll see that's easy too. 🙂