cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero - Adaptive Voltage issue or Misunderstanding?

Coffee_User
Level 7
Hello

i currently some strange problems with my Maximus X Hero.

System:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K cooled by BeQuiet Silent Lopp 280mm
Mainboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero @ 0505 UEFI
Memory: GSkill "F4-3200C14D-32GVK"

As far as i know, there are 4 different vcore mode's available.

Auto --> Mainboard adjust the Voltage
Offset -> A value postive or negative for the entered Voltage
Manual --> Fixed Voltage, so no decrease of Vcore Voltage
Adaptive --> A value positive or negative for the entered Turbo Total VCore Voltage. So the maximum Vcore under heavy load with a positive or negative value.

Sorry for my bad english. I hope everyone understand what i mean.
So my destination frequency on my CPU are 5GHZ sync on all cores.

What i tried out so far:

Sync all Cores: 50
Manual Fixed Voltage: 1.345
LLC on Level 5
Uncore min.: 40 maximum: 40
XMP Enabled
AVX Offset 3
CPU COre/Cache Current Limit Max: 255.50
CPU Current Cpability: 140%
Fixed CPU VRM Switching Frequency (KHZ): 500

Stable at 5GHz in Prime 26.6 without AVX, after 1 Hour
The VDroop is at 0,020 Volt. So i have 1.325 Volt

-----
But the Voltage isn't coming down under idle. SO i tried Adaptive, which was working fine on my Z270 Maximus X Hero with my 6700K before.

But now with Coffee Lake....

Adaptive Voltage Turbo Total : 1.345 offset -0.020
LLC on Level 5
XMP Enabled
AVX Offset 3

After i reboot my system i recieve 1.45 Volt on my CPU in the UEFI and of course in windows too. What is way to high, and not my entered setting.
Even with LLC at 7 i recieve that Voltage. Thats not normal i think

So i Tried something...

I entered the follwing value..
Adaptive Voltage Turbo Total : 1.245 Offset -0.020
LLC on Level 5
XMP Enabled
AVX Offset 3

After i reboot my system i recieve 1.345 Volt on my CPU in the UEFI and of course in windows too. So whats that?
Maybe i did something else wrong, but i haven't done anything else on that system. I also reflashed my uefi but there is no difference. I bought a second mainboard of maximus x hero but still the same issue?
Another question: Is it normal that the LLC only goes to level 7 not till Level 8? On my Z270 there was a LLC Level 8 available.

Thanks

Best Regards
30 REPLIES 30

Raja
Level 13
Hi,

You cannot set the Adaptive voltage below default voltage for a given CPU ratio. Note that you may not be able to get to 1.245V at 50X, depending on how Intel programmed the VID stack for your CPU. You can try reducing the voltage with a combination of negative offset, lower LLC, and the IA AC and DC load line settings. Not sure how much you'll be able to reduce it while maintaining stability, though.

-Raja

Hello Raja,

thanks for the fast reply and the info Raja. Its ok for me. I think 1.325 Volt @ 5GHZ is a nice result anyway. Maybe its possible to reduce the Vcore a little bit more but, it doesn't make much difference i think. Only in prime i recieve at max 65°C. Normally its between 60°C and 65°C in prime.
In games a have 40-50°C so its ok.

I've only one question. Is it normal that i only have LLC Level 7 available and not level 8?

As i said before, on my Z270 i had Level 8 available and on the Maximus X Apex there are 8 Level available too

Thanks

Best Regards

Shamino
yes only up to level 7, as theres a level '0' which will be renamed 'default' in future bioses

Hello Shamino,

thanks for the info. I'm new here in this forum, and i really appreciate your help and feedback

Thanks

I used der8auer's overclocking tutorial for Maximus X Hero motherboards with an i7-8700k and am stable at 5.1 GHz after 1 hour on Prime95:
https://youtu.be/CoUtA7DKXhU

good luck

i have the x hero board and had this question as well when i first got the board . my gigabyte z 270 and 7700k i didnt have adaptive voltage ( damn u gigabyte ) .
anyways once u put adaptive to on leave offset to default and total max turbo adaptive to 1.32 v @ 5 ghz load line =6 , svid support has to be on and svid best case cinario .
after those 2 option my 5 ghz drops voltage and mhz speed not doing much an under heavy loads like prime 95 i get 1.32 v - 1.34 wich is perfect i dont want to lower voltage anyways since i need 1.32v - 1.34v to be fully stable anyways lol it worked out perfectly .

like raja says i dont think u can lower the cpu voltage below that since it reads off the cpu built in svid - correct me if im wrong

if u went to offset mode - wich is terrible for high ocs u might be bale to get below 1.32 v with a higher offset .

offset on my gigabyte z270 was a nightmare i dont even want to think about it ! 5 ghz it was a bad dream

after trying offset on this x hero @ 5 ghz its beauty 0.8 v under light lods and ramps to 5 ghz 1.32v under load
Rig # 1 - 14900Ks SP-118 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,600 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | PG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 14900K-SP-120 | 89 MC @ 5.9 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

bass junkie xl wrote:
i have the x hero board and had this question as well when i first got the board . my gigabyte z 270 and 7700k i didnt have adaptive voltage ( damn u gigabyte ) .
anyways once u put adaptive to on leave offset to default and total max turbo adaptive to 1.32 v @ 5 ghz load line =6 , svid support has to be on and svid best case cinario .
after those 2 option my 5 ghz drops voltage and mhz speed not doing much an under heavy loads like prime 95 i get 1.32 v - 1.34 wich is perfect i dont want to lower voltage anyways since i need 1.32v - 1.34v to be fully stable anyways lol it worked out perfectly .

like raja says i dont think u can lower the cpu voltage below that since it reads off the cpu built in svid - correct me if im wrong

if u went to offset mode - wich is terrible for high ocs u might be bale to get below 1.32 v with a higher offset .

offset on my gigabyte z270 was a nightmare i dont even want to think about it ! 5 ghz it was a bad dream

after trying offset on this x hero @ 5 ghz its beauty 0.8 v under light lods and ramps to 5 ghz 1.32v under load

May I ask what BIOS version you're running? No matter what I try, setting adaptive voltage, my cpu voltage spikes to 1.5 after a reboot.

mr_allroy wrote:
May I ask what BIOS version you're running? No matter what I try, setting adaptive voltage, my cpu voltage spikes to 1.5 after a reboot.

Have you set SVID Behaviour to 'best case'?

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Have you set SVID Behaviour to 'best case'?

I have it on best case.