cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CustOEM ROG Windows 10 1709 Home, Pro & Edu Install, Diagnostics and Recovery Tool

NeoBeum
Level 9
CustOEM ROG Windows 10 DaRT
Built for the Republic of Gamers Community
Gaming Notebook Focused Tool - but compatible for Desktop PC
Only available for UEFI 64 Bit Windows 10 Build 16299.15 (Fall Creators Update)
4GB RAM Minimum

68326 68327
68328 68329
68330 68331
68332 68333
68334 68336

Project Contents Overview

• boot.wim

• Bootable CustOEM Configuration Environment
    • Partial/Full Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset
    • Microsoft System Internal Tools

• Replacement 'Custom' OEM Recovery partition for Notebooks that had lost original partitions during Windows 10 Automatic Upgrade from Windows 7/8
  • Dynamic WinPE Wallpaper to notify Boot/OS Status (Useful for diagnosing boot order and faults or where to inject Drivers)

• Configuration Environment
    • Setup Environment
    • Recovery Environment
      -- Recovery Environment also has it's own boot options (Standard Windows Blue Theme)

• Project ISO serves as a template to host the Windows 10 install.wim from the Media Creation Tool or DVD Installation Media.

Note: The 1709 ISO Download will contain 10 Editions: 10 S, Home, Home Single Language, Pro and Education, and it's N "Europe" counterpart
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10
(About time, I've been sending abuse since 1511 - PS: There's also a super version of this that includes the Volume Licensing Editions, and Server Pro Workstations, mostly useless for Consumer/Retail)

Hello Gang

I've almost finished the Generic Boot Image for the CustOEM Setup Environment - a generic image that isn't specific to my laptop the G751JY.
I'm in the final testing for the Default Windows 10 Installation - and everything is going smoothly.

I should have a build up ready for download tomorrow - and I'll have the Notebook Version ready later this week. I'm still deciding if I just want to Command Line Script - or overhaul a Command Prompt Wrapper in C++.

There's also some indecision as to whether or not to include the complete Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset v10 - because some of the tools are very OP (such as the circumvention of disk encryption or I'll just not use or just change passwords to access stuff) like Locksmith.

Hopefully before the next major patch in mid November - I'll have a GUI up and running - and you can play around in the Configuration Environment and navigate with a XBox Controller plugged in.. I might add Pong or some game I wrote at school to play while installing... maybe Asteroids made of the ROG logo.

The inclusion of every Windows edition on One DVD that Microsoft released as part of the 'Fall Creator's Update' was a god-send - so I don't feel like I have to sneak around like a ninja by releasing an installation disk with every retail edition. The Microsoft ISO actually had more than I anticipated, and also included Volume Licensing Editions - something I dabbled on about in another thread.

If all goes well in the next week - there should be 2 ways to install Windows 10 on to the Laptops - one is a babysitting installation - where you can supervise and enter the relevant information, and the last will be an automated setup (see explanation/plan below the partition layout) - where the setup will require you to input:

• SATA AHCI Non Raid Configuration
  • Intel RAID Configuration

Then select the OS Disk favouring the faster Bus Type

• PCIe NVMe
  • SATA III (6GBps)
  • SATA III (3GBps)

There will then be the option of how the Repair/Recovery Partitions will be Configured:

• ESP (100 MB)
    (Partition 1) (System) - This is what Windows uses to Boot

• MSR (16 MB)
    (Partition 2) (System) (OS Controlled) - This is what Windows uses to know where to look for things like ESP

• CustOEM Configuration Environment (5 GB)
    (Partition 3) (Backup) - Backup Bootable Partition - This is what Windows will not touch

• CustOEM Recovery (600 MB to 16+ GB)
    (Partition 4) (OEM Style Recovery Push-Button Reset / Standard Recovery Features / System Image) - This will receive updates as per normal Windows Installations

• Operating System
    (Partition 5)

The OSD ComputerName and Network name is MININT-ROG-PE.

The tool will create its own partition, that will be bootable, but not accessible normally - you'll need to create an entry in the UEFI Boot Menu. This partition will be approximately 4.5GB (DVD) and will store the "Installation Disc" with no modifications, and will not be updated with drivers or updates during Windows updates or Upgrades.

I'll be creating the automated installation on Windows 1703, and be testing receiving the 1709 update - to see if all settings persist though Upgrade - and to double check if Windows overrides anything - so a complete Automatic Solution, won't be available until late November at best.

The CustOEM Configuration Environment supports installing Windows via Network Deployment, DISM (for wim Image Install) and standard Installation Media (DVD).

I will be uploading the Visual Studio Project to GitHub, and anyone that wants to further customise, can use the project as a template - if it's your first time to customise anything Windows, it can get confusing as there are copies of files of files in folders of the same name and copies of those.... etc...

Make sure you set the IDE to save as Unicode (UTF-8), and the Boot Image (CustOEM Configuration Environment) will automatically set the Terminal to the correct Character Code Page before you can even do anything.

If you're thinking about more customisation - you will need to get the latest Windows 10 ADK from the Microsoft Hardware Developer's Site
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-assessment-deployment-kit

Visual Studio Community is free, but requires a one-time account sync after the 30 day trial ends, just to register the copy to the computer.
https://www.visualstudio.com/

You can dig and dig and dig the internet for the Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset, if you're lucky you may find the latest edition.

Tip #1: When Using the Windows ADK to create an Installation Media
"MakeWinPEMedia /UFD W:\WinROG U:" or "MakeWinPEMedia /ISO W:\WinROG U:"
-- I have created this base Boot Image to be cross-compatible with both DVD and ADK Installation Media - but if you copy and paste the files - ensure that you do not include the BOOTMGR or EFI files for a DVD/CDROM when the target is USB, and vice-versa.

Tip #2: When creating an Installation Media on USB - the BOOTMGR file in the root of the drive, can be deleted as a "Boot in UEFI Mode Only - Failsafe". Deleting this file when creating a DVD/CD-ROM iso will render the ISO unbootable.

This Project will end up as a Downloadable ISO, with the CustOEM Enviroment as Index 1 in the boot.wim, and Setup Environment as Index 2. There's almost no difference between the images - this is where the Microsoft Confusion Kicks In.

You will be able to either copy and paste the boot.wim to replace the boot.wim on an existing Installation Media, or use it to replace the boot.wim that is created when using the Microsoft Assessment and Deployment Toolkit, DISM Script - "CopyPE amd64 W:\WinROG"

If the CustOEM Environment boot.wim is used, you can also replace the contents of PE directory with the contents of the DVD iso source directory to create an easy access Installation Media creation script with -

Copy DVD contents:
"ECHO \EFI\ > exclude.txt"
"ECHO \BOOT\ >> exclude.txt"
"XCOPY D:\ W:\WinROG\media\ /EXCLUDE:exclude.txt /O /X /E /H /K "

"MakeWinPEMedia /ISO W:\WinROG I:"

USB Mode
"DEL W:\WinROG\media\BOOTMGR"
"MakeWinPEMedia /UFD W:\WinROG U:"

You can also cut and paste normally - but requires modification to have a DVD Installation Source work with the Windows ADK Media Creation Tool

The command prompt may annoy some users, but it's for quick glance, and seeing where user input started. It's also easily changed to what ever you want. It comes in to play for the Automated installations - as another prompt serves as debugging and error log output. I send messages, and it gets labeled as to what part got broken by MS because of cruddy backward compatibility with Powershell, CMD.exe, DISM, Win32_API, and Diskpart
13 REPLIES 13

NeoBeum
Level 9
I'm uploading a CustOEM Nano ISO - 590MB
CRC32: DE84C900

https://uploadfiles.io/2ambf

ISO: sources\boot.wim
Index 1: Configuration Environment
Index 2: Setup Environment (Marked Bootable)
Index 3: Recovery Environment (Export this and replace Winre.wim in the installation media: sources\install.wim#\Windows\System32\recovery\Winre.wim
You'll need to mount the install.wim and then navigate to the recovery directory - if you're doing it for a live installation, you'll need to relink reagentc, on a plus side, I've added DISM tools to each of the Images, X:\DandI
So you should be able to just export whilst loaded with the DVD ISO used to boot in to CustOEM Setup - From the command prompt (you might need to use DISKPART to give the Recovery Partition a Letter)

X:\Windows\System32> cd ../../DandI
X:\DandI> DISM /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:LETTERFORDRIVE:\sources\boot.wim /SourceIndex:3 /DestinationImageFile:R:\recovery-where-ever-it-is-located\Winre.wim
X:\DandI> IMAGEX /INFO R:\recovery-where-ever-it-is-located\Winre.wim 1 /Boot

Don't forget to mark it as bootable, otherwise you'll have a BSOD saying recovery can't find WinLoad.exe or WinResume.exe

I'm not sure how to get a link from Uploadfiles.io while the file is uploading... so I'm going to post these instructions now, so I don't lose what I've already typed, and then just add the URL when the upload is done.

It's Australia, so upload is slow 🙂

NeoBeum wrote:
I'm uploading a CustOEM Nano ISO - 590MB
CRC32: DE84C900

https://uploadfiles.io/2ambf

ISO: sources\boot.wim
Index 1: Configuration Environment
Index 2: Setup Environment (Marked Bootable)
Index 3: Recovery Environment (Export this and replace Winre.wim in the installation media: sources\install.wim#\Windows\System32\recovery\Winre.wim
You'll need to mount the install.wim and then navigate to the recovery directory - if you're doing it for a live installation, you'll need to relink reagentc, on a plus side, I've added DISM tools to each of the Images, X:\DandI
So you should be able to just export whilst loaded with the DVD ISO used to boot in to CustOEM Setup - From the command prompt (you might need to use DISKPART to give the Recovery Partition a Letter)

X:\Windows\System32> cd ../../DandI
X:\DandI> DISM /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:LETTERFORDRIVE:\sources\boot.wim /SourceIndex:3 /DestinationImageFile:R:\recovery-where-ever-it-is-located\Winre.wim
X:\DandI> IMAGEX /INFO R:\recovery-where-ever-it-is-located\Winre.wim 1 /Boot

Don't forget to mark it as bootable, otherwise you'll have a BSOD saying recovery can't find WinLoad.exe or WinResume.exe

I'm not sure how to get a link from Uploadfiles.io while the file is uploading... so I'm going to post these instructions now, so I don't lose what I've already typed, and then just add the URL when the upload is done.

It's Australia, so upload is slow 🙂

FOR THOSE WITH PROBLEMS DOWNLOADING THIS IMAGE

You can use the link below to work around the limitations of the site hosting the ISO image. NO PREMIUM ACCOUNT REQUIRED

https://down.uploadfiles.io/get/2ambf

DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK. COPY THE LINK TO A NEW BROWSER TAP TO DOWNLOAD DIRECTLY

(Dont forget that the CRC32 of the ISO matches the one provided!)

I'm sorry, but can you please explain how to do the Custom ISO file? I'm pretty new on this, so it would be greatly appreciated 🙂

And about the hosting you've chosen, can you upload the file to another one? It says that "the free hosting period has finished, only premium users can download this file" 😞

Hope that you can help us all 😄
Best regards, Wolney Sandoval

PD: Does this Custom ISO comes with ASUS software bundled? I've lost mine, and need them for a clean install 😮

SieghartCL wrote:
I'm sorry, but can you please explain how to do the Custom ISO file? I'm pretty new on this, so it would be greatly appreciated 🙂

And about the hosting you've chosen, can you upload the file to another one? It says that "the free hosting period has finished, only premium users can download this file" 😞

Hope that you can help us all 😄
Best regards, Wolney Sandoval

PD: Does this Custom ISO comes with ASUS software bundled? I've lost mine, and need them for a clean install 😮

Just copy the link from my posting above (#3) into a new tab in your browser and the ISO image will download. IT WONT WORK IF YOU JUST CLICK ON THE LINK. YOU MUST COPY AND PASTE IT.

good
I can not install this could arrange the complete tutorial the other way to install ?!
thank you

This is interesting. I just modded the BIOS to my G751JT to support NVMe and am now in the process of researching a 'correct' fresh install. I was referring to the guide stickied in the forums when I came across this! Any reviews? Comparisons? Should I follow that guide, or give this a try, or... Try both?? I do have an additional SSD installed in the SATA III 6GB port.

edit: Copying and pasting the link in Chrome and Edge produces a 404 error

season_of_ages wrote:
This is interesting. I just modded the BIOS to my G751JT to support NVMe and am now in the process of researching a 'correct' fresh install. I was referring to the guide stickied in the forums when I came across this! Any reviews? Comparisons? Should I follow that guide, or give this a try, or... Try both?? I do have an additional SSD installed in the SATA III 6GB port.

edit: Copying and pasting the link in Chrome and Edge produces a 404 error

my guess would be that the ISO has changed to 1803 with a new link?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

3m2oo5
Level 7
i would be also interested in access to that file 🙂

link produces error -no token provided-
Have You EVER played SHOOTEM`UP game UNPLUGGED ??

SteamID: mulasty
MMOnickname: 3m2oo5, x3m2oo5x, 3m_2oo5

Hello, I want the latest version 2004 of Windows Rog 2020