New ROGer Array

Exclamation Crashing randomly to a solid color screen - ASUS ROG G20AJ

Hey,

I currently have an ASUS ROG G20AJ, which I got about a few years ago (2014ish maybe 13').
    It's the model with:

NVIDIA GTX 750
    8 GB of Installed RAM
    Intel Core i5-4460 CPU @ 3.6 Hz
    It also came with one PSU not sure if it's the 180 or 230 w one.

I've been having some issues with this for quite some time now but ignored it because I couldn't be bothered. When playing a certain game, my computer will randomly crash and the screen would go a different solid color (pink, blue, red, yellow, black) every crash and make prolonged buzzing/beeping sound.

The only way for me to fix this is to hard restart (pulling the power out and plugging it back in). I'm not sure what's causing this, but I've tried to factory restore my PC several times and come across the same issue.

I've also tried this overclocking application made by EVGA called PrecisionX where I would increase the GPU fan speeds to about 80%+ and increase the voltage to +12mv. (it also has options of power/temp target and GPU and MEM clock offset which I played around with as well) Doing this stalled the issue for about a few days until, it started happening again. It usually happens after playing more than 1-2 games. If I set the games settings to lower resolution it would take 3-4 games and then the crash would happen.

Any insight on this matter would be really helpful and useful. My warranty has expired and I'm not sure if ASUS still supports this product as I heard it was discontinued (this specific model).

Thank you.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array spartan_hoplite PC Specs
    spartan_hoplite PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ROG G21CX Huracan
    MotherboardZ390 ROG G21CX
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 9900k
    Memory (part number)32gb DDR4
    Graphics Card #1ASUS RTX 2080 Turbo
    MonitorROG PG27vQ
    Storage #1Samsung NvMe 960 500gb + 4 Tb Samsung SSD
    Storage #2Seagate 8 tb Hard Disk Drive
    CaseROG G21CX
    Keyboard ASUS ROG Claymore
    Mouse ASUS ROG Pugio
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Seems your Graphic card is the main problem. You may try lowering down power target , core and ram clock.

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Yep, pushing your GPU too hardand it might be time for good cleaning. Keep in mind the GTX 750 is now several generations old and cant run any game thats come out in the last couple of years at anything past low settings. Here is a bench comparison between the GTX750 and 1080TI. Yes big spread but wont be loing before 1080ti will be a thing of the past.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...-Ti/3162vs3918

Those cases are tiny and tight. I considered one awhile back just for the novelty then swiftly decided against it most due to limited upgrades and the fact that there were laptops being produced with better specs. They are prone to overheating as there isn't much air flow, just add a bit of time to the equation for dust accumulation and everything gets hot. 3-4 years in the realm of computing technology is an eternity. Im sure your machine works fine for most things.

For the most part this series machine is a laptop without a display turned in its side. BIOS settings are extremely limited and with good reason. You only have 180Watts of power to deal with. Just for a comparison my latest build consumes 5 times that under load. One 1080 Ti pulls nearly double that of your entire machine.

So quick and dirty......take off as many covers as you can and blow it out with a compressor, not compressed air in a can (pretty much worthless for this task). Dont go crazy with a milllion PSI, about 80 is fine. Once you get as much of the crud out as you can then turn down the game settings until you can keep it stable. Dont expect much as the intel Iris on die GPU falls only about 30% short of the GTX750.