cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Replace G751JY AC Power Jack Port ?

ufotheswe
Level 7
So. After too many hours troubleshooting, a new battery and some tears I believe I have found the culprit of my problems. The AC IN Jack. Today my G751JY-T7373H didnt recognize the AC charger anymore, so I have no choice but to fix it. I took the laptop appart to see if I could see any clear damage to the ac jack, but it looked brand new, but it still doesnt work.

So I was wondering if anybody here have any experience with replacing the ac jack themselves. I wonder about:

1. Do I need to buy the mini-board? Like this. . Or is it enough to buy just the actual port? Like this.
2. How do I know what of the models I need? There are so many and I dont wanna waste more time getting the wrong model.

Regards a sad ROG owner.
21 REPLIES 21

Clintlgm
Level 14
I think I would get the card, the price is right and the port is already connected and secured, looks like a drop in part? I'm not sure that the card will have the actual charging modular built into it or it that is another part on the Motherboard.
It looks to me that the socket only would take some work to get is totally stabilized on the card unless its a solder on?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
I think I would get the card, the price is right and the port is already connected and secured, looks like a drop in part? I'm not sure that the card will have the actual charging modular built into it or it that is another part on the Motherboard.
It looks to me that the socket only would take some work to get is totally stabilized on the card unless its a solder on?
]\\

Thanks for your reply. Yeah its easy to insert the card, its a drop in part, if I understand the terminology correctly. I really dont know if its a solder on or not.

I tested the AC charger, and its working perfectly. So it has to be the AC jac in. I just got to find out what model to buy.

Thanks again.

Your link looked good to me, there is asus part dealer in EU Goggle them up they might be helpful.
your probably correct that its the AC socket there have been many failures here in the ROG forums. Still there is a Charging circuit on the motherboard that could be the problem also. Just something to think of.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Korth
Level 14
You can use a DMM to test electrical properties of the jack itself, the charging PCB, the AC adapter, the battery, the wires in between them all. The jack is the last thing you want to replace unless you really like doing solder rework, while the other pieces/modules each cost money to replace.

I wouldn't order any replacement parts (or do any soldering) until I knew exactly which part has failed.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
You can use a DMM to test electrical properties of the jack itself, the charging PCB, the AC adapter, the battery, the wires in between them all. The jack is the last thing you want to replace unless you really like doing solder rework, while the other pieces/modules each cost money to replace.

I wouldn't order any replacement parts (or do any soldering) until I knew exactly which part has failed.

Thanks alot Korth, i really appreciate your answer. How would I test the jack in with a DMM? How can I see if its working or not?

I think if I buy the miniboard with the jack in it doesnt require any soldering?

Regards

Edit: Here is the part that is broken: https://imgur.com/a/3Nuf3

ufotheswe wrote:
How would I test the jack in with a DMM? How can I see if its working or not?

I think if I buy the miniboard with the jack in it doesnt require any soldering?

Edit: Here is the part that is broken: https://imgur.com/a/3Nuf3

That's an easy part (board) to test, especially if you have it out of circuit (removed from the laptop).

Just put the DMM in resistance/continuity test mode and see if the electrical circuit actually works between the input side (where you plug the jack in) and the output side (where it's soldered to PCB), for both power and ground pins. If the part isn't conducting then it's a dead part.

Put the DMM in DCV test mode and measure if your AC adapter is outputting DC voltage (at the jack). If no DC power then the adapter (or wires or wall receptacle) is dead.
If the adapter/etc works then measure if the output side on the PCB part is receiving voltage when plugged into the AC adapter. If no DC power then the PCB part is dead.

The whole point of using a test instrument is to figure out where an electrical source you know is good (at the AC wall receptacle) is interrupted before it can power the laptop. So you know which part has failed and needs repair/replacement.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Darnassus
Status Under Review
I'd get the whole module.. saves you the soldering job.

Just make sure its sex is correct.. back with the G750's you could get models that have internal male. (Ones with a pin inside of the laptop) And internal female. (Pin inside the charging cord)

Darnassus wrote:
I'd get the whole module.. saves you the soldering job.

Just make sure its sex is correct.. back with the G750's you could get models that have internal male. (Ones with a pin inside of the laptop) And internal female. (Pin inside the charging cord)

I saw that too.

The power cord of the G751JT have a centre pin inside. Those EBay jacks are all wrong!

agmvc5
Level 7
Hello, I have the same problem. Finally, how did you fix it? I´ve been looking but i don´t find the on board model for the G750JY.