cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the purpose of EZ Update? I mean...

djhifi
Level 7
As the title says, what is the purpose of EZ Update?

I mean a year has passed since my first install of this software alongside AI Suite 3, and NOT ONCE have I used it to update anything in my system.
It never prompts me for updates yet, whenever I go online I see updates for everything.

Let alone the fact that on my motherboard page (x99-a ii) all of the utilities (besides AURA) seem to be collecting dust since 2016 AKA new versions of AI Suite 3 are out but the page doesnt get updated.

Regarding the software itself:

AI Suite 3 is just utter garbage at the moment, riddled with errors, from IOmap64 BSOD to DIP5 errors when booting up.
Not to mention that we have to mix installation packages because you really dont seem to care that much.
Whats the purpose of making billions in revenue with hardware if your software which is intended to support it, plain sucks?
I won't even go the AURA sync or GPU Tweak way, to make this topic as small as I can...

So please, ASUS get your **** together please. I mean I love your gear, owning ATM ROG Strix 1080ti oc + X99-A II + PG348Q monitor, etc... but your software is just utter garbage and confusing in 2017
9 REPLIES 9

rathius
Level 7
There is no need to update the environ.

Seriously though, there are new versions for pretty much every utiity including AI Suite III, but you will have to go to the support page of an updated version of the hardware, I've not seen Liveupdate work on any product over the years aNd years ive had asus products.

Carbonicdk
Level 8
In my experience Asus software seems to clash with so many things and applications. They crash, make computers crash and become unstable. I've given up on getting stuff like AI Suite and Dual Intelligent Processors to play nice. Just using Aura for lighting now as GPU Tweak has a confirmed bug where on nordic keyboards it causes certain key presses to slow down what you write, so not using that either. I don't know why GPU software would be affected or affect your keyboard and at this point I'm to afraid to ask. EZ Update does nothing so I just manually check the site which is a pain but it's a preferable pain compared to having EZ Update installed.

AlexB121
Level 7
I use it to remind me if there is new updates for asus products i use all asus programs and it never crashed my pc until now sometimes i update from ez update sometimes i get notification and i just go to asus support page and download from there mostly bios but i do use it to install simple drivers and never had a issue until now ....

FonzieBulldog
Level 9
Just updated my Chipset through EZ Update. Worked great.

FonzieBulldog wrote:
Just updated my Chipset through EZ Update. Worked great.

Does it say you still require an update after you have already did?

Same. For the ASUS X570-E motherboard, there are firmware 120x, 1404, and 1405 on the website but my motherboard is still in 0804 and the EZ Update never notify a new firmware. Also, there is a similar functionality on ASUS Armoury Crate that can update all the drivers. Not sure why we still need EZ Update.

louis925 wrote:
Same. For the ASUS X570-E motherboard, there are firmware 120x, 1404, and 1405 on the website but my motherboard is still in 0804 and the EZ Update never notify a new firmware. Also, there is a similar functionality on ASUS Armoury Crate that can update all the drivers. Not sure why we still need EZ Update.

Are you referring to a laptop (OEM) or PC, that Armoury Crate can update drivers?
I hardly doubt it works well as there are several drivers/utilities that require undergoing a series of steps to properly update, like removing previous version, running an ASUS cleaner, cleaning registry and only then installing the new one. This is true to most of ASUS utilities, at least.

So, i hardly see a way for an application to automatically do all that when the installer itself of a newer version can't.

I meant update all drivers for ASUS hardwares.

Not sure why you think auto updating drivers are difficult tasks. This functionality exists for 10 years. It will be difficult only if ASUS is writing those drivers with terrible bugs that prevent you from simply replacing the drivers.

louis925 wrote:
I meant update all drivers for ASUS hardwares.

Not sure why you think auto updating drivers are difficult tasks. This functionality exists for 10 years. It will be difficult only if ASUS is writing those drivers with terrible bugs that prevent you from simply replacing the drivers.

As i mentioned, it will be a problem for ASUS utilities more than ASUS drivers, since such have to be updated in a series of steps.
As for drivers, it will not be much of a problem since ASUS only encapsulate the driver with a signature, rest is done by the vendor itself.