cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS - What Happened To 0809 Bios - Why Is It Gone?

SlackROG
Level 10
Has anyone noticed that the release of the 0809 BIOS no longer appears on the website for the B250F motherboard?

I'm assuming the BIOS was so bad it had to be removed and replaced with 0810.

I know I'm not dreaming or making this up, a MOD on Asus' forum made a release post over this;

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=STRIX+B250F+GAMING&id=20170730175617978&page=1&...

If you also Google 'Asus B250F 0809' you will find people talking about this BIOS online...

So what happened, what's going on Asus?

When something is going on in a company we should have a NEWS release of information on the site to let consumers know what is happening, rather then just removing the BIOS and replacing with another. With no information, consumers can't be aware about their products, especially to make informed decisions about updating a BIOS, realizing an update was so bad it had to be pulled, and what the problems were, to figure out, is it wise to grab the next release, or maybe wait awhile.

Bottom line, you must of had such a terrible BIOS release you had to pull it and then replace it, but what gives consumers any confidence to believe the latest one isn't also having problems.

Seeing this now, I would definitely not jump to this version, but unfortunately I updated to this version in one motherboard, that turned out to have problems after this version, and I returned it for a new motherboard that came with this version, and the same problems all over again...

Had Asus had some NEWS information at the Download section for me to read, with my original motherboard, if I saw this, I would not of updated the BIOS and saved myself the hassle I have been going through, so THANKS a lot Asus, sarcastically speaking, for not informing me, on your website, and then releasing another bad BIOS... 😞
9 REPLIES 9

JustinThyme
Level 13
If there are issues with a BIOS that are causing too many issues of course they will yank it. They leave they get grief, they yank it they get grief so I can totally undstand them doing what they feel is in their best interest without first consulting consumers from the cheap seats. They have in the mean time like almost a month ago updated it with 0810 which Im sure is 0809 tweaked to remove any bugs.

How about post up your problems and maybe the fine people who inhabit these forums can help.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

SlackROG
Level 10
Well look, don't take me wrong you or anyone, but we the consumers sitting behind the keyboards are the ones that are going to deal with the problems.

So in Good Consideration for us, when there's a problem, you post NEWS about it, you don't simply yank something behind people's backs and put up a replacement, whoever considered in the first place, that this is good computing practice? Because it's not...

I come to the table from an OpenSource mentality, you make the Community aware, you keep them aware, because everyone knows, or should know, that just because there's a problem, and you put out a release right away to correct issues, doesn't mean everything is great the next time around so fast, sometimes it's better to wait awhile and let things settle and get more stable. So see, if I had known something like this had gone on, I might not be so inclined to grab the next release...

No one should ever jump on a new release when it comes out, you have to wait...

Anyhow I hope Asus staff reads this and doesn't do things behind our backs like this next time, but 'POSTS NEWS Updates' to inform consumers as to what is going on...

We the consumers are the ones buying products, supporting and keeping a company running, in that respect you should also be doing this, out of just that respect! 😉

SlackROG wrote:
Anyhow I hope Asus staff reads this and doesn't do things behind our backs like this next time, but 'POSTS NEWS Updates' to inform consumers as to what is going on.

As much as I agree that more and better patch notes would be an improvement, most customers just don't care. Companies are sometimes given flak after being too forthcoming and customers reward opacity by buying products anyway. So you won't change ASUS directly, you need to change the millions of customers who created a situation in which opacity is preferable. Once you've changed the landscape then you can expect good patch notes from companies like ASUS and Microsoft rather than the "improved compatibility in certain configurations" BS we get now.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Nate152
Hey xeromist

To comment on the patch notes, do you think they keep it discrete to what was actually done by just saying "Improve System Stability", "Improve System Performance" so other companies don't know and can't copy ?

They do usually list fixes for device compatibility and such.

Nate152 wrote:
Hey xeromist

To comment on the patch notes, do you think they keep it discrete to what was actually done by just saying "Improve System Stability", "Improve System Performance" so other companies don't know and can't copy ?

They do usually list fixes for device compatibility and such.

I doubt it. You could certainly be more candid without giving any technical details away. It's possible that sometimes the tweak is so general that it's difficult to encapsulate but this is a general pattern of behavior I've noticed in the industry. It's just way too common to be justifiable.

Also as Slack posted, a stealth recall of a broken version could be problematic for some users and there's not even a perfunctory note that 809 should be updated. That certainly has nothing to do with other companies learning your secret sauce.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

SlackROG
Level 10
I think you're right in the facts that general consumers who don't have a clue could care less as to the reasons, geeks on the other hand should be a different story.

Also, if the company doesn't make people aware of problems, then there are those, that might think you are sneaking around behind our backs, not wanting us to know your mistakes, for whatever reasons.

The POINT I'm trying to make is just as I stated, that if the problem is so serious to yank it, then replace it, what gives us any confidence, when we don't know where it came from, what sort of issues, how well off the next release is, and if we should be bothering with it or waiting?

I'm sitting here typing saying it's wrong and I don't want opacity, I want to know what's going on, because when I do an update, I want to have as much information in my hands to make the best decision, because if I brick it, then I'm going back to the company yelling about this so called BS opacity!

P.S. No one is asking to give away the "Proprietary Recipe". Be vague if need be and just tell us what borked!

SlackROG wrote:
I'm sitting here typing saying it's wrong and I don't want opacity, I want to know what's going on, because when I do an update, I want to have as much information in my hands to make the best decision, because if I brick it, then I'm going back to the company yelling about this so called BS opacity!

Oh, I understand. I'm just saying it's a product of the overall environment so a single forum post in a corner of the internet isn't going to change anything. You're tilting at windmills. As long as you understand that, feel free to vent. 🙂

JustinThyme
Level 13
They have gotten a little Better with more notes but still not completely descriptive. A year or so ago you were lucky if they put any description on any updates. I had a convo with Bahz about this awhile back while testing out GPU Tweak.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

SlackROG
Level 10
Well I just got my new VIII Hero so if anything happens like this on this board, I hope Asus is going to keep the Maximus crowd more informed... 🙂