Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus 8 Hero (non-alpha) cold boot problem with XMP

imherefornudes
Level 7
Current BIOS: 3401
Tested BIOS versions: 2202, 3401 and 3504

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4 GHz LGA1151 with Noctua NH-D15
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz 64 Gb ( CMK64GX4M4B3200C16 ) ( not in QVL )

I have a cold boot problem when XMP profile is enabled.

When I enable XMP profile for this memory kit, the memory runs flawlessly @ 3200MHz for days and months, with and without stress.
System is fully operational after restarting and so on, but when I shut down from Windows 10 x64 and then start again it won't POST ( q code 00 or 55(ram not installed) ) and only way to start the engines is to reset CMOS first for default memory values @ 2133MHz. During this code, the rear chassis fan isn't spinning, but CPU fans were. No signal on monitor.

Once I manage to start the system, the memory runs @3200MHz for a month straight, as long as I don't shut it down from Windows. So, the voltages seem to be where they should. System is rock stable.

I noticed that if I turn the power off completely from PSU switch and once the lights go out from board and I start the system then sometimes the POST is successful, even with the XMP 3200 Profile.

I've had this issue at the start when I bought the board. BIOS version was 2202 at the time.

I asked around on reddit, and there might be a BIOS setting for turning the power off completely upon shut down; I'll try to find that setting when I get back home from work.

POST is successful 100% when running the memory @ default 2133MHz, but I'd love to have it running @ 3200 MHz without the need to reset CMOS before each cold boot. I'm open for suggestions, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
5 REPLIES 5

Frostie36
Level 7
I've been experiencing this issue for as long as I can remember, I didn't have this problem when I first built the system back in oct 2015 & I can't rmember exactly when it started. For me it was slightly different to you in that everything ran great for weeks or even months, until the power was cut to the board, either due to a power cut or me disconnecting the power if I wanted to open the case to clean it etc, after that I knew the board wouldn't post & I'd get either a 15,25,55 or quite commonly a 00. The way I'd get it to finally post was to hold down the power button until the pc turned off, wait a few seconds and then press power again, eventually doing that it will boot to the bios and show the error about not posting correctly and having to press f1 to enter bios, might take a good 5-10 times of carrying out that procedure until it boots and doesn't give the q codes mentioned earlier.

This morning however I seemed to experience the exact same issue as you in that I powered down my pc last night instead of using sleep mode like I normally do and today it wouldn't post, instead giving me the usual q codes as mentioned above, this was the first time I've ever had this issue happen when the power hadn't been cut to the board as that's the only thing that has caused this failure to post in the past. Doing the usual hold power down til it turned off and then pressing power finally got me back into the bios, I went straight to save & exit & it failed to post again so after I got back into the bios I just altered the memory speed 1 notch down from where it was (2933 to 2900) and then it booted. That's the second time I've used that method to get the board to post, I don't think the change of speed has anything to do with it as I then went back in the bios and put the memory back to 2933 and it posted fine again, I think the trick, in my case anyway when I run into the won't post issue is to cause a memory retrain to have to take place in the bios by just altering the memory speed up or down 1 notch from whatever speed I'm using and then the system will post.

I'm using Corsair LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (4x8 sticks) 3200mhz, 6700k with hyper 212 evo cooler.

NemesisChild
Level 12
First thing to note is that any memory speed above 2133MHz is considered an overclock.
Usually if it boots straight into the bios then you undoubtedly have an unstable overclock somewhere.

1. Don't use the XMP profile. Manually enter the memory frequency, base timings, and voltage in the bios.
2. Adjust the SA and VCCIO voltages, search for the guide on this website.
3. Increase the DRAM voltage to 1.40v and see if that helps.

Components lose their ability to maintain stability over time. More voltage is sometimes needed to compensate for aging.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Tygerion
Level 7
I was quite happy to find out that my Corsair LPX worked right out of the box on bios 3504. How many XMP profiles do CMK64GX4M4B3200C16 have and what frequencies?

Tygerion wrote:
I was quite happy to find out that my Corsair LPX worked right out of the box on bios 3504. How many XMP profiles do CMK64GX4M4B3200C16 have and what frequencies?

Thanks for the replies.
I have only one XMP Profile available on that dropdown list: XMP DDR4-3200 16-18-18-36-1.35V

Maximus Tweak Mode 1 itself didn't fix the issue; The Q code changed from 55 to 3b and after power down/up I got to the screen where you can hit F1 for BIOS after faulty POST, so I entered BIOS, changed nothing, F10, exit, successful POST.

Thought I would offer some advice. It suggests the Ram is unstable which could lead to problems in Windows also.

I agree with NemisisChild on this about not using XMP profile. I had Corsair LPX 2666 that had issues with XMP Profile set.Try the base timings 16-18-18-36, leave the rest at auto. Set the default 1.35v vDimm and the boot problem should be sorted. I could even use 1T Command Rate setting for my LPX sticks that overclocked to DDR3000mhz 1.5v.

VCCSA has role also which should be at 1.175v for that speed.

I have had a lot of memory overclocking fun with the Hero 8 BIOS 3504 and found XMP is a problem so set them manually. I now use GSkill TridentZ 3200 C14 (Samsung B Die) now which overclock to DDR3600 14-15-15-30-1T 1.5v and the same problem would always happen when I was trying to find the tightest timings for the overclock because I couldn't apply enough Ram voltage, the Hero 8 in my experience can't deliver more than 1.5v and would cause the Ram to be unstable not matter what voltage above 1.5v and is holding back my overclock 😞

It's mainly a XMP timings issue and should resolve setting them manually.

I would use latest version of Prime95 to totally stress test your system and you should be able to overclock that Ram further at the default timings 1.5v.

Have Fun 🙂