cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows boot logo deformation

nikkill
Level 7
Hi guys,

Whenever I try to install Windows 10 on a GPT drive, Windows boot logo changes resolution. Strangely this only seems to happen when drive is formatted to GPT and shows in normal resolution on a MBR drive. The machine in question is ASUS X555LN.

Now, I see how most of you might think I'm nitpicking over irrelevant details, but this really bugs the hell out of me :(.

Is there a possible solution for this?

5 REPLIES 5

Korth
Level 14
Microsoft says boot resolution can't be changed, but there are workarounds.

I'm guessing Microsoft compiled two (or more) versions of this boot screen and didn't bother to make them identical.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
I'm guessing Microsoft compiled two (or more) versions of this boot screen and didn't bother to make them identical.

And only some users (like me) experience this? Yeah, I don't buy that...

There must be more to it...

If you are referring to UEFI booting (which is off GPT disks) and BIOS booting (from a MBR disk) then the way video hardware is initialised, and thus the resolution of the bootscreen, is affected by how your video hardware presents itself in the different booting modes afaik.

Korth
Level 14
Why must their be more to it, really?

Microsoft probably coded GPT (for Win2K3 Server and Vista onwards) from "scratch" but imported MBR from Win2K/XP/etc "as is" and merely updated it for full compatibility. Then continued to update the Windows Preinstallation/Recovery Environment for Win7/8/10 without ever going back to change something which already works.

It's not something anyone would really be expected to notice - or even something Microsoft necessarily noticed - unless installing an MBR and a GPT with the same WinOS version on two machines side by side. Very few users indeed would experience this, especially in the modern UEFI world where >99% of Windows installs are (or at least should be) GPT-based.

The lower-resolution MBR version might've been deliberately left unaltered to maintain maximum possible compatibility with Microsoft (and non-Microsoft) MBR-based boot loaders, file systems, and partitioning tools - not to mention all the motherboard firmwares and even the drive-embedded firmwares built around them. Look how long Microsoft clung to VGA then SVGA resolutions on earlier WinOS versions, they're not interested in spending time fixing things which already work and which are only needed to work well enough to launch Windows.

It's a cosmetic and trivial detail, anyhow. It obviously seems to bother you but I doubt it has any real significance and I doubt anyone at Microsoft deems it a high enough bug/feature/issue to merit reworking (especially given how many other problems they always need to fix in Windows).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Seems like this was the problem all along: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/windows-8-installing-in-...

A user from Tom's Hardware helped me shed some light on the situation 😄

But now, I've hit another wall...How do I enable secure boot? It seems to require more than just switching from [DISABLED] to [ENABLED]

What are the settings on the second picture? :confused: