cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q - Automatic factory reset, OSD error, new menu, etc

jamyzgenius
Level 7
The issue:
This panel has been doing weird stuff since approximately two days ago. It has been working superb since I bought it in summer, but it suddenly started to behave like this. I will point out what I had experienced so far with the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q.

First, the HDMI option is not working well and if the OSD button is pressed when the monitor is connected to the HDMI port it auto-factory resets.

Second, the monitor is also acting weird with a Display Port (which I use as main) because it auto-factory resets on each computer shut down or restart.

Third, when the cable is disconnected it also auto resets itself. The first thing I see when this happens is the monitor flashing red, blue, green and white colors when off signal or on standby.

Fourth, when the monitor recovers itself it sends me to the "Light in Motion" screen where I select from level 0 to 3. I have to do this all the time since two days ago. The monitor flashes those colors even if it is not connected to the PC.

Fifth, the OSD menu of the monitor seems to be glitched as-well. I will share a video on how it looks.

Sixth, a new menu appeared with information about the monitor and several options that were not there. I had not seen this menu before. I will post a picture below.

But do note, if I don't reset the computer, shut down or disconnect any cables. The monitor seems to be fine (resolution and 240hz refresh rate), but it doesn't matter. This is because if I tweak the monitor options to lets say, put FPS mode instead of Racing mode. Or if I put the Adaptive Contrast or modify the Dark Boost option it doesn't save as far as I restart or shut down the computer. Even if I put the computer to sleep it does that. So, it is incredibly annoying that a $599usd monitor is doing this. Remember that this monitor was fine since I bought it. It started to do this since two days ago.

A little bit of background on how I run this monitor.
I have a PC with a Nvidia GTX 1080. I have a 4K display and three 1080p displays. One of these 1080p displays is the ASUS ROG Swift pg258q.
So far I tried:
-Different cables
-HDMI cable
-Manually factory reset the monitor (several times, it's useless to do this).
-Tried different ports on the graphics card (3x display ports available). This is the only monitor from the other three I have that does this.
-I disconnected all the cables from the monitor (except power cable) to see if it was the PC. The monitor is the one at fault since it continues to flash green, blue, red and white colors.
-I tried to deactivate the options on the factory menu that appeared, but it does not help, only hides the menu, but returns when another automatic factory reset occurs.

There is this weird menu that wasn't there before. I can access it after the monitor self-factory resets itself by pressing the fourth button from bottom to top:

This is the error in the OSD menu:

Here is a video showing the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnRW2DPkx9U

Note: I already contacted support. I just sent a reply with a couple of videos and pictures of this issue. I am waiting for a reply at moment. I decided to post here in case anybody knows a solution. This is because it seems to me like the monitor entered a developer mode, or something similar like a debug mode in a video-game, but it's just what I think. Maybe the monitor is in fact faulty.

Edit: typos and format.

Edit 2: Issue fixed! 🙂 please look at my third post below for more information.
8 REPLIES 8

Bill
Level 7
Hello jamyzgenius
Thank you for your inquiry. The screen should not be resetting in so many scenarios.
Do you remember what you had done before this?
I would suggest to RMA your unit if you are not sure what to do next.
Thank you

Hi Bill,

thank you so much for your reply. I just created an RMA around a day ago, and the support agents were very kind and helpful. I just need to figure out how to ship the monitor in the best way possible. I am a little bit busy this week, but I will ship the monitor as fast as possible.

I remember I was in my daily design routine before the monitor started to do what I pin-pointed in the post. I use all and a total of four monitors to do environment design. Then, the next day. The PG258Q started to behave like that. It was the only monitor doing this. I thought it would be something temporally at first. Almost like it was auto-adjusting in some sort I imagined. I even thought it was the cable and tried another Display Port, but I was so wrong. The thing is that I didn't really put attention to it the first day, this was because I just saw the flashing colors at a computer restart and I thought it was the computer. I remember it started to worry me the second day when I put the computer to sleep and the colors were flashing when I returned at night. I was suspecting something was wrong. The third day was the one in which I noticed something was wrong. That day, when I restarted the computer I noticed that the monitor was in-fact acting weird. I shut-down and restarted the computer a couple of times to see if the monitor behaved like that at each attempt and it did. I got into the bios of my PC to see if everything was normal, thinking it was the PC. In-fact everything was working fine in the PC, all the settings and temps were the same. I also tried sleep on the machine and the burn-in patter was still there. Also, changed cables, tried an HDMI cable and different video-card ports, plus did the tests I shared in the post, but nothing worked. But hence that to this point, the conclusion was more strong since the PG258Q was the only monitor doing this from all four. I also noticed the OSD glitch too when I was playing a game. I wanted to change a setting and noticed that the OSD was not the same, and started to detect that my settings were not saved anymore, and at each computer reset, shut-down or sleep the monitor basically did an automatic factory reset. It was a process of discovering all this issues in a row which also lead me to discover the new menu, or the factory menu. A thing for in which I could disable the burn in pattern to stop the colors from flashing on standby, but it was useless because at each automatic factory reset, the factory menu did a self-reset too, so the burn in pattern option auto-activates itself all the time. I noticed it was the monitor because when I disconnected all of the cables from the PC, and the monitor was still on. It kept behaving like that. The burn in pattern was still there, flashing red, blue, green and white. A thing that never did before when the monitor was fine since I bought it. So, I decided to write the mail to support and post in here afterwards. It has been like that since that day. It is almost as if the monitor entered a debug mode.

I saw that users with a different monitor model, the PG279Q had the same issue:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89973-PG279Q-stuck-in-debug-mode

I also found another post with a similar issue with the same model:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86915-PG279Q-Not-saving-settings-and-factory-menu

I just wonder, some of the users in the first post I just shared did mention a combination of keys to unlock the PG279Q, but I cannot find any sort of information regarding the PG258Q. I am clueless right now as if it may be that it is in-fact in debug mode, and I just need to press a combination of keys. But probably I am wrong. I don't know, but I hope for the best if I send it to repair. I really need all of the four monitors working fine (in this case the PG258Q will not be here for repairs) to continue with my daily duties at 100%.

Thanks again Bill, I wish you a great day.

Best Regards,
-J

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to update the post. After going through the RMA process I am so happy to tell you that the monitor is now working flawlessly good. I want to thank everybody that guided me with the support ticket and the amazing repair technician. The monitor came this noon and is working perfectly fine. It arrived well, and every issue banished.

I also wanted to update this post because I feel like this may help anybody with the same issue, model and monitor in the future. If anybody has this issue and finds this post, my best recommendation would be to contact support and follow an RMA process. They are very kind and are amazing. It also was a fast process.

Thank you so much! and wish you all a great day.

Best Regards,
-J

Hi All

I have just encounter the same problem with my PG258Q monitor a couple of days ago. Its a very frustrating problem but i'm glad I found this post as it helped out alot. So Thank you to the OP
I'm just going through the RMA process now. I was just wondering how long does a RMA normal take. Also do they just switch the monitor for another?

Hi all,

Bought mine September last year and two days ago it started to behave like yours did. Monitor's going today back to retailer to hopefully get fixed. Too bad that this kind of issue still appears after all this time.

Update (2019/03/07): Got my monitor back and the issue is no longer present. Apparantly it has been replaced, but just the screen part. Base, cable and the rest were exactly the same just as I put them back in its box when I sent it back. At first I thought the screen was the same because it was wrapped the same way when I put it back into the box.

Spirery1
Level 7
Thanks for the info mines just done the same was all working fine now this going to RMA it today this will be my 3rd replacement.

popkiller
Level 7
I have the ASUS PG248Q though but the problems is the exact same it also keeps resetting to factory menu after shutdown/poweroff/hibernate/standby
So every time i powerup/turn on my computer it's the same routine over and over again.

Called out for support 2 years ago when my screen started acting up like this but with no luck really, they just told me to try Reset to Factory Default (like i haven't tried that)

1# Open OSD Menu, GameVisual Racing Mode
2# Adjust Brightness 80->15, Contrast 50->42
3# Adjust color R=99 G=92 B=100
4# Press X button for Factory Menu
5# Uncheck Burn In Pattern (Disable burn in pattern until next power up)
6# Uncheck Factory menu (Restores X button to OSD Close button)

Now after more than 2-2½ years with this annoying problem i will never forget my calibrated settings and now i can calibrate my screen faster than windows can boot 🙂

So anyone here who has same screen and same problem who did get it rma'd is it worth all trouble ?

kaliber4677
Level 7

Hi, I'm a man from Sweden who has the same problem with asus pg258q.
I use windows 10 resolution 1920 * 1080 and 240 hz.
colors flicker when I turn on the screen and the computer.
Had to start menu on the screen and set brightness and contrast every time I started the computer.
Changed to 144hz the menu to the screen didn't start then.
Was thinking if I change to 200 hz what happens then.
Was surprised, the screen works perfectly normally, even the strange colors in the menu disappeared.
Don't know if it works for you guys but it's worth a try.
Jonny from Sweden.