cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VROC Keys for X299 platform(Solved)

JustinThyme
Level 13
Users have spent a small fortune on X299 boards and SkylakeX machines to include the Hyper x16 solution only to not be able to do whats been marketed and promised. Intel has confirmed the VROC keys will not be sold to the public and only available bundled with motherboards by OEMs or bundled with Intel drives.

What does ASUS propose to those who have already bought high end boards with the expectations derived from marketing that we were going to be able to run VROC raid simply by purchasing a key that we cant get?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3234669/storage/intel-says-vroc-raid-isnt-dead-its-just-trapped-in-a...

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein
23 REPLIES 23

Korth
Level 14
I thought the Intel keys are only needed to unlock RAID mirroring and that ASUS Hyper M.2 cards can still run RAID striping without the Intel keys?

Compatibility with non-Intel SSDs (with or without the Intel key) hasn't been confirmed.

I read somewhere that the Intel keys are expected to cost ~$125. Older Intel RAID keys were/are sold to consumers on newegg.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
I thought the Intel keys are only needed to unlock RAID mirroring and that ASUS Hyper M.2 cards can still run RAID striping without the Intel keys?

Compatibility with non-Intel SSDs (with or without the Intel key) hasn't been confirmed.

I read somewhere that the Intel keys are expected to cost ~$125. Older Intel RAID keys were/are sold to consumers on newegg.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92892-MUST-READ-Before-posting-in-this-section

4. If you're not an ASUS representative, DO NOT post any replies in any of these threads (unless you're the OP) as this is not a section meant for discussion

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Thread cleaned up. JustinThyme, please review the rules for this section of the forum. Post back with the pertinent information such as your case id # and the other steps you have taken.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92892-MUST-READ-Before-posting-in-this-section

Praz wrote:
Hello

Thread cleaned up. JustinThyme, please review the rules for this section of the forum. Post back with the pertinent information such as your case id # and the other steps you have taken.

I have contacted support and have had no response.

*N1710135316

JustinThyme
Level 13
I received a reply with apologies and thanks for bringing this to our attention.*
A reply by me that I needed resolution was followed with it’s been escalated to a senior representative. Nothing more after. **

Service No=N171086737
Well been trying to get key also ASUS told me no they don't sell it because Intel won't give it to them Intel has confirmed they have in fact given it to them and have escalated it to the next level.

Hello Mike,

We escalated your issue to a higher department for research on why your OEM is not providing you with the required key. We were able to confirm that the required key that you need was provided to ASUS so they could ship the keys to end users.

Can you please contact ASUS again since they should have keys on stock

Stay Tuned

JustinThyme
Level 13
Received an unsolicited email several days ago on Nov 13 from a different Rep. Saving the customary apologies.....
"We are working with Intel to get VROC. Please be patient and we advising you that to wait for a few weeks for a update" Verbatim C&P, bad english and all.

ASUS doesn't sell them nor does anyone else, at least not legally. Intel set this to be by OEM or SI only meaning anyone with any type of agreement with Intel cannot offer them for sale. OEMs and SIs can order them through normal distribution chains.

This shouldn't be an issue providing them to people who have registered products with those users simply requesting such and including them bundled with future shipments. You can expect an administrative delay if they have in fact shipped them. Nothing happens fast in the corporate world. I've been patient and stopped hammering them but Im going to take them at their word. Dec 1 Im back on the hammering again if Ive not received any notification of intent to ship.

The only good thing is that I am waiting to purchase in april after the new release of NVIDA vid cards. All I wanted to do was get a price so I can budget for my next build. Going to try water cooled. But I regress that email I received from Intel was copied and pasted (Starts with Hello Mike previous post). So it seems that ASUS dropped the ball. I will keep checking in keep us updated on your end and if I receive any information will let you know.

Good News Where ASUS has failed Intel came through I believe 8.95 each key. Follow link Hope this helps. Just ordered they are back ordered unsure on how long I will have to wait it does also show which SSD's are compatible in the spec's PDF. A little worrisome when shows only compatible with Intel xeon but I know they are not supporting this with the x299 chipset that is more up to ASUS to do. It almost seems that Intel and ASUS don't want us to have this Intel only wants it for their server's unsure of ASUS reason.

Hello Mike,

We have escalated your situation and we are glad to inform that you can purchase the VROCISSDMOD key from 1 of our Intel® Authorized Distributor

Mouser Electronics

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Intel/VROCISSDMOD

We are sorry for the inconvenience that this might have caused you.

Best regards,

Luis
Intel Customer Support