cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Timing Question

xjapan_hide
Level 7
I would like to overclock my RAM, but I couldn't understand how to deal with the memory timing.
Is there a formula to calculate the timings or just try every workable combination by yourself?
Thanks in advance:o
MB - Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU - I7 3930K
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB X 4 (1600Mhz)
SSD- Plextor M5P 128GB x 2 (RAID 0)
Graphic - Inno 3D GTX 590
HD - WD Caviar Green 1.5TB
PS - SilverStone 1000W
CASE - HAF-X
Cooling - H100
Sound Card - Asus Xonar Phoebus
11 REPLIES 11

V2-V3
Level 8
Leaving the memory timings at auto will leave you "room" for overclocking and allow you to reach an acceptable overclock. if you wish to push your RAM faster you will need to manually adjust the timings and increase the voltage. this process is achieved by increasing the timings individually one notch at a time until stability is achieved.

One side note used when clcoking memory is to ass the first 3 timing sets to equal the 4th for example: DDR3 Timing 9-9-9-27 @ (2133Mhz)
start by Increasing the first three timings (tCL, tRCD, tRP) by 1 and the last timing (tRAS) by 3,
@ (2533Mhz)
tCL: 10
tRCD: 10
tRP: 10
tRAS: 30

V2-V3 wrote:
Leaving the memory timings at auto will leave you "room" for overclocking and allow you to reach an acceptable overclock. if you wish to push your RAM faster you will need to manually adjust the timings and increase the voltage. this process is achieved by increasing the timings individually one notch at a time until stability is achieved.

One side note used when clcoking memory is to ass the first 3 timing sets to equal the 4th for example: DDR3 Timing 9-9-9-27 @ (2133Mhz)
start by Increasing the first three timings (tCL, tRCD, tRP) by 1 and the last timing (tRAS) by 3,
@ (2533Mhz)
tCL: 10
tRCD: 10
tRP: 10
tRAS: 30

Thank you for your prompt reply.
But I thought the smaller the number, the faster it gets...
Why increase the numbers when want a faster system?
CPU - I7 3930K
PS - SilverStone 1000W
CASE - HAF-X
Cooling - H100

HiVizMan
Level 40
The thing you have to understand is that different platforms work in different ways. So the 775 chip set which had a very limited upper frequency ceiling relied more on latency for bandwidth and raw speed. So 800MHz at 4-4-4-12 was hugely better than 1000 5-5-5-12

However as the memory controller has shifted from the motherboard to the CPU and the advent of different kinds of DRAM chips so too has the way that performance is measured. A Z68 platform you will get heaps better performance using a 1:8 strap (2133MHz) at cas 11 than a 1866MHz at Cas 9 - just run 32mil at the same clock speed with the two different straps enabled to see what I mean.

However in the real world you will be hard pressed to notice any difference between the frequency or latency differential.

What platform are you using so we can better engage with you about your question.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi, HiVizMan

Thank you for your explanation.
I saw one of your reply in some other post mentioning about not knowing any difference between the frequency or latency differential. I Just want to learn more about memory overclocking and mess with it, haha:o

By the way, here are my spec:

I7 3930K
Asus Rampage iV extreme
Kingston Hyper X 4GB x 2 1600Mhz
Plextor M3 128GB
Innon 3D GTX 590
WD Caviar Green 1.5TB
SilverStone 1000W

Do you have any recommendation for overclocking on this bad boys?
CPU - I7 3930K
PS - SilverStone 1000W
CASE - HAF-X
Cooling - H100

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah there is such a big difference in real world and synthetic benchmarks. Real world you hardly notice. Not saying there is no difference, sure there is, but when a difference is measured in nano or micro seconds - me I can not notice.

Nice set up - first thing I would do if I was you my friend is go to http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5836-ASUS-Rampage-IV-Extreme-Easy-Overclock-Guide

and

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5835-ASUS-Rampage-IV-Extreme-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking

Have a good read and try to work out how things fit together like a big puzzle. Because that is exactly what over-clocking is all about. A big puzzle of many different parts that are never the same for each and every person. Fit them perfectly and you have nothing buy joy. Mess up or rush and not find out what stuff does, you can have many tears of frustration.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thank you mate, appreciate it.
By the way, I experienced another issue just now which is out of topic, I hope it's fine...
I try to use the OC Key function just now, when I pressed the "ROG Connect" button then an overlay screen comes out, the problem is I could not navigate it, I have tried the arrow keys like what it mentioned in the manuel, but still no luck...
Any ideas???
CPU - I7 3930K
PS - SilverStone 1000W
CASE - HAF-X
Cooling - H100

HiVizMan
Level 40
No problem - this is your thread after all.

What keyboard are you using?

I am just using a very simple wired Keyboard - Logitech K120
CPU - I7 3930K
PS - SilverStone 1000W
CASE - HAF-X
Cooling - H100

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah I use the same keyboard on my test bench. Try a PS/2 adaptor.

When you are in OS you will find that the keyboard defaults to OS, what I do is use two keyboards. One USB based for the OS and then the PS/2 for when I bench.