cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502 VMK suddenly lost wifi capability and windows recovery environment

adelwich
Level 7
I got home from school this afternoon and discovered that an annoying pop-up window was displaying in my browser. I had to use task manager to kill off the processes and rebooted the computer.

After rebooting, the computer fails to see any wifi networks and insists that it cannot connect. Windows wifi troubleshooting is unable to solve the problem. After fighting with this for twenty minutes, I decided to just do a factory refresh or factory reinstall. When I try to do this, it can't even find the windows recovery environment.

I'm trying not to get freaked out about this, but is the first time I've encountered this sort of problem. Is it possible that some sort of malware/virus could a) disable my wireless adapter and b) wipe out my recovery environment?

I think my next step is to download a windows 10 ISO and try to reinstall Windows from a USB stick. But I can't even get the machine to boot from a USB right now.

Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? I would be grateful for any advice.

Aaron
2 REPLIES 2

adelwich
Level 7
Sorry -- Just realized that I had double-posted in the forum. Apologies for this.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Thanks for letting us know and sorry to hear the system isn't working better.

Closing this thread, but the discussion can be continued at the related thread below. Thanks.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97155-GL-502-VM-Wifi-problems-Malware-What-should-I-do-nex...