cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F8 boot selection = black screen

leyabe
Level 8
Whenever I press F8 to get the Boot Selection menu, I only end up seeing a black screen, is this a known issue and/or can anyone reproduce?

In the end I can still use the Boot selection menu, because when I press the up/down arrows on my keyboard, the corresponding line of the boot option lights up and gets displayed.

As an example, if my Boot selection men has the following three options:
HDD
USB-HDD
DVD

Then pressing F8 leads to a black screen with nothing displayed, but if I press the Down arrow once, I woulld now see
USB-HDD on my display.

Then if I press Up arrow once, I now see
HDD
USB-HDD
on my display.

Only those lines get displayed and nothing else i.e. I assume there is additional info on the screen, but what get's displayed on the monitor is limited to a tight rectangular area around the line of text listing the boot option.

So, there is a way by arrowing down and up multiple times repeatedly to have all options displayed, but I still think it's a bug.

Furthermore, if I choose "Enter Setup" (typically this is offered as the last option on the bottom) I can enter BIOS setup but again I'm only getting a black screen, and the black goes away when moving my mouse, to be replaced with whatever I'm normally supposed to see underneath the mouse cursor. Think of it as removing the fog of war my moving the mouse.

I don't want to go back to verify, but I'm 80% sure that this was not a problem with BIOS version 0503, the version my board came with.
I'm on 0801 now and have been for a few weeks at least.
5 REPLIES 5

leyabe
Level 8
Here's a video of my problem here https://youtu.be/xAgCm1qrfjQ
First part of the problem starts around 0:40, and the mouse issue around 1:00.
A little blurry but easy to figure out what's happening anyways.

Bumping this one up for getting feedback. I'd like confirmation that this is a known issue or that it affects other people than just me. Can anyone reproduce? Maybe someone with specs similar to mine (see my specs on the left)?

ASUS, is there any update on this issue? I tried many other BIOS versions, currently on 0902, and this is still happening.

Are you able to reproduce/acknowledge?
I made a video in my post above (post #2)

gupsterg
Level 13
I have not experienced this on any past or current UEFI.

My setup is:-

TR1950X
ASUS ZE
F4-3200C14D-16GTZ
RX VEGA 64
2x SATA SSD, 2x SATA HDD, all in AHCI currently. Planning on doing RAID soon with multiOS. I also use F8 boot menu to boot differing USB sticks with Linux. One has Ubuntu and other Mint. I use CSM: Off, Secure Boot: Off, Fast Boot: On.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Thanks for confirming, I appreciate.