cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog g20 cb cpu upgrade

Skoll
Level 7
Hello Asus ROG Community!

Since this is my first post, try to be gentle to me since I'm a noob regarding upgrading PCs.
First of all here are my current specs (prebuilt).

NVIDIA GTX 1080
Intel i7-6700

Other stuff doesn't really matter that much.

My problem here is a game called CS:GO. It's a really CPU heavy game which means my i7-6700 is bottlenecking.
Since I'm playing on a quite high resolution (1920x1440), my game tends to drop from 300+ fps all the way down to 140 or even lower!

This is really bad since you need a stable 200+ fps in CS:GO in order for it to be considered fluid.

Now my wish would be to upgrade my current CPU to something better in order to get a stable 300 FPS.
I have no idea which CPUs I should consider since I'm not sure what exactly my lovely G20 can run without further tweaks.
If someone could tell me what's possible with this PC and if it's even worth it, I would be really thankful.

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5

chilinmichael
Level 10
You bought the wrong PC and I hope you have money to burn on a new one. Don't know why you need 300+fps, I've never heard a single person say that before, but if that's what you need, not happening.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

Firstly: With your configuration, the I7 6700, doesn't bottleneck at all your GTX 1080 wich were launched 3 months before the soonest new reference CPU I7 7700k.

Secondly: All monitors are limited to a maximal refreshing value (144hz for high-end products mostly). If the graphic card doesn't reach this frequency to calculate a frame, the monitor shall simply wait from the GPU to receive the next frame and will stay in stand-by with the same frame. Some frames calculated by the GPU might be lost because arrived too late whereas the new frame arrived before the end of the "sync round". Needed to be said.

Thirdly: If you want to fully use your GPU, you need (in this case) a G-Sync monitor which will display the frame as soon as it's calculated whether or not it is "in the timing" (for resuming). The refreshing value is synchronized with the card. But, the fastest monitor I founded was a 240ghz monitor. So if you have a 60hz monitor, you have never seen 400 frames, 60 to the most.

G20CB motherboard seemly not runs the I7 7700K (to get at least 200-300hz more), so don't expect to run the new I7 8700K. 6th intel gen processor with a compatible socket is the I7 6700K only. Find a 1080Ti and a 400hz G-Sync monitor if you want to hope to reach your target with the G20CB.

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
anything above 144mhz is classed as smooth, you need to get g-sync on and this will help with your gameplay, your system is way over kill for that game anyway

Yes. 144hz is fully enough and comfortable.

spartan_hoplite
Level 10
You need to turn the Vsync ON, or your screen will keep tearing even at 1000+fps. 60fps will run smooth and comfortable play.