cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No graphics in BIOS after using Windows

Pokemaniac
Level 7
So I recently set up a machine with an i7-8700k an Maximus X Hero (Wifi) motherboard and a ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-11G-GAMING GPU. The machine has both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 17.10 installed as OSes. While it's been mostly working fine, there's this one weird BIOS issue I've been having.

Basically, when Windows is the last OS to have run (I've yet to see this issue happen after using Ubuntu), there's about a 70-80% chance that I won't get any graphics during the BIOS during the next boot. There's still a video signal, and everything seems to be working properly (I was able to navigate the BIOS menu blind for a little bit), but I get a black screen up until the Windows lock screen shows up.

Is anyone else seeing this issue? Are there any settings in either Windows or the Asus software that may be causing this?
8 REPLIES 8

JustinThyme
Level 13
What happens when its just windows?
Never seen this one unless your preferred display is set to a differnet port in the BIOS and guessing you are not using UEFI either and have CSM enabled to get to the Ubuntu boot screen. Have you tried changing display ports while you are supposed to be in the bios screen?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
What happens when its just windows?
Never seen this one unless your preferred display is set to a differnet port in the BIOS and guessing you are not using UEFI either and have CSM enabled to get to the Ubuntu boot screen. Have you tried changing display ports while you are supposed to be in the bios screen?

I tried switching HDMI ports while on what should have been the BIOS settings ( don't have any display port cables or screens on hand, but I can pick up adapters if I need to), but I didn't even get a video signal on the other port. It seems to be selecting the port correctly, though if there are settings related to that I could check them.

I'm pretty sure Ubuntu is set up to use UEFI, but I don't have time to double check that until tomorrow. Currently the only BIOS setting I change for Ubuntu (aside from boot order) is secure boot, though (need it off for Nvidia drivers). Everything else is mostly defaults with a couple customizations for my setup (enabled XMP and Virtualization support). I tried disabling fast boot, because that seemed suspicious, but it didn't make a difference.

When running Windows, everything is fine after I get to the login screen.

Pokemaniac wrote:
I tried switching HDMI ports while on what should have been the BIOS settings ( don't have any display port cables or screens on hand, but I can pick up adapters if I need to), but I didn't even get a video signal on the other port. It seems to be selecting the port correctly, though if there are settings related to that I could check them.

I'm pretty sure Ubuntu is set up to use UEFI, but I don't have time to double check that until tomorrow. Currently the only BIOS setting I change for Ubuntu (aside from boot order) is secure boot, though (need it off for Nvidia drivers). Everything else is mostly defaults with a couple customizations for my setup (enabled XMP and Virtualization support). I tried disabling fast boot, because that seemed suspicious, but it didn't make a difference.

When running Windows, everything is fine after I get to the login screen.

Might sound quite obvious, but this has helped me in some tricky situations. Have you tried resetting the BIOS?

MangoFargo wrote:
Might sound quite obvious, but this has helped me in some tricky situations. Have you tried resetting the BIOS?

I've tried reflashing the BIOS via Ai Suite in Windows a couple times. It doesn't really seem to be helping with the issue. I could try BIOS flashback if you think that'd be more likely to work, though.

So, to give an update on this situation, from what I can tell, I can fairly consistently get the BIOS to show graphics again if I leave the PC off for a while (a while here meaning some amount of time probably greater than 10-15 minutes). Obviously this is far from an ideal situation. Unless this can be identified as a misconfiguration of BIOS bug, I'm seriously considering sending the motherboard in to Asus for support at this point.

Pokemaniac wrote:
I've tried reflashing the BIOS via Ai Suite in Windows a couple times. It doesn't really seem to be helping with the issue. I could try BIOS flashback if you think that'd be more likely to work, though.

This is your problem!!

Uninstall AI Suite, scrub the registry then flash the BIOS via Flashback or EZ Flash.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
This is your problem!!

Uninstall AI Suite, scrub the registry then flash the BIOS via Flashback or EZ Flash.

So this software is known to be problematic, then?

When you say "scrub the registry", can you be a bit more specific? Would I want to use something like this: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95038-AI-Suite-3-cleaner

JustinThyme wrote:
This is your problem!!

So I tried uninstalling Ai Suite and reflashing the BIOS via EZ Flash, but that doesn't seem to have helped at all. The issue still occurs.