New ROGer Array

G752VY GTX980M Heat issues while gaming above 93c+ - solved

Hello People,

Im having problems with my laptop since a few days, when i game (Destiny 2) i get temps on low settings above 93c+ and when i test it in furmark my GPU gets even hotter. The fans are working fine, i use Notebook Fan control to turn up the fans.

Ive flashed vBios but still no effect i undervolted and underclocked the GPU card but same effects.
    i repasted the CPU and GPU even replaced the Thermalpads for Gellid Extreme and MX4 Arctic. It still goes to the same temperature what is kinda odd.

Ive checked in the Asus rog gaming center but i cant change anything there.

Is there anyone on this forum who can help me, i dont know what to do further..

Really really much thanks.

Kind regards,

Perry

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Perrymike View Post
    Hello People,

Im having problems with my laptop since a few days, when i game (Destiny 2) i get temps on low settings above 93c+ and when i test it in furmark my GPU gets even hotter. The fans are working fine, i use Notebook Fan control to turn up the fans.

Ive flashed vBios but still no effect i undervolted and underclocked the GPU card but same effects.
    i repasted the CPU and GPU even replaced the Thermalpads for Gellid Extreme and MX4 Arctic. It still goes to the same temperature what is kinda odd.

Ive checked in the Asus rog gaming center but i cant change anything there.

Is there anyone on this forum who can help me, i dont know what to do further..

Really really much thanks.

Kind regards,

Perry
    That seems really hot. The older G series laptops I had would get that hot (G74Sx) but not the G752VY. seems strange that even after a repaste the temps have not changed. Could it be that one of your heatpipes is compromised? Heatpipes are vacuum sealed, so if it were to crack or break anywhere, it could hinder the pipes from doing what they should. Any excessive heat on your keyboard where the GPU/CPU are located underneath? Like the heat is not escaping? Either that or the repaste is not seating properly. Thats my guess anyway. My G752VY doesnt go pass 74C with a custom vbios and GPU @ 1300Mhz running Furmark, so 90c+ seems way out of the norm.
    ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
    SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K
    RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72
    RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71
    RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

~¦ Noesis ¦~ Array Dreamonic PC Specs
    Dreamonic PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GX800VH-XS79K
    MotherboardASUS GX800VHK (Intel CM238/IDA154) w/Custom BIOS
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-7820HK @ 4.7Ghz (+150mV) FCBGA 1440
    Memory (part number)64GB (PC4-22400) @ 18-18-18-38-53 (76.D305G.D060B)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (GP104) OC @ +225/+750 w/Custom VBIOS
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (GP104) OC @ +225/+750 w/Custom VBIOS
    Sound CardVANTEC 7.1 External Audio Adapter
    MonitorASUS PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 @ 100Hz w/G-SYNC (mDP-to-DP)
    Storage #13x Samsung 512GB NVMe SSD RAID0 (S316NY0HA00959)
    CPU CoolerASUS GX800VHK Water Cooling Dock
    CaseASUS GX800VHK Chassis
    Power SupplyASUS 2x 330W Power Adapter (AC 100~240V, 50/60Hz, 16.9A/19.5V)
    Keyboard ASUS ROG Claymore Core
    Mouse ASUS ROG Spatha
    Headset ASUS STRIX 7.1 Gaming Headset
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Whetstone
    Headset/Speakers Altec Lansing Octane 7 (VS4621) 2.1 Speakers
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 / Arch Linux w/KDE Plasma
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC87U w/Merlin
    Accessory #1 Kensington 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub (K33978WW)

While troubleshooting with a member on my forum over a thermal issue he was having (short story here), it turned out to be poorly sealed heatpipes being the root of the issue. Didn't matter how many mods were done, results were just the same as before, mediocre. After having exhausted all other options with this member, a replacement heatsink assembly was mentioned and this solved his thermal issue completely. Start with the cheapest options first and go from there (as you've done already).

A learning experience for sure.

New ROGer Array

Finnaly, i get an answer. The weird thing is, ive gamed for like days without any problems but after last Friday al problems came forward.

I'm gonna search for a new heatpipe, what isn't gonna be really cheap.

Thanks for the answer guys, i know what to do now!

ROG Enthusiast Array

I have the same problems, my laptop overheats alot if I don't undervolt AND UNDERCLOCK my CPU. After this, my CPU still goes above 85 degrees sometimes and my GPU throttles above 84-85 degrees, no matter what Vbios I use (custom, stock). I made repaste with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 3 times, using Grizzly Thermal Pads for the VRM's but this was the best I could manage. If I don't undervolt and underclock, It goes way above 90 for CPU and GPU throttles alot (for example in PUBG). I feel so bad for giving ASUS this kind of money for this piece of crap laptop.

New ROGer Array

Replaced GPU Heat pipes

Just replaced my GPU heatpipes and replaced the thermalpaste, temps are nog getting higher then 70C.

So replacing the heat pipes is the main fix for this issue.

TY guys.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Perrymike View Post
    Just replaced my GPU heatpipes and replaced the thermalpaste, temps are nog getting higher then 70C.

So replacing the heat pipes is the main fix for this issue.

TY guys.
    Sweet no problem. Glad you got it fixed.
    ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
    SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K
    RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72
    RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71
    RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72