cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY GTX980M Heat issues while gaming above 93c+ - solved

Perrymike
Level 7
Hello People,

Im having problems with my laptop since a few days, when i game (Destiny 2) i get temps on low settings above 93c+ and when i test it in furmark my GPU gets even hotter. The fans are working fine, i use Notebook Fan control to turn up the fans.

Ive flashed vBios but still no effect i undervolted and underclocked the GPU card but same effects.
i repasted the CPU and GPU even replaced the Thermalpads for Gellid Extreme and MX4 Arctic. It still goes to the same temperature what is kinda odd.

Ive checked in the Asus rog gaming center but i cant change anything there.

Is there anyone on this forum who can help me, i dont know what to do further..

Really really much thanks.

Kind regards,

Perry
7 REPLIES 7

MrRuckus
Level 10
Perrymike wrote:
Hello People,

Im having problems with my laptop since a few days, when i game (Destiny 2) i get temps on low settings above 93c+ and when i test it in furmark my GPU gets even hotter. The fans are working fine, i use Notebook Fan control to turn up the fans.

Ive flashed vBios but still no effect i undervolted and underclocked the GPU card but same effects.
i repasted the CPU and GPU even replaced the Thermalpads for Gellid Extreme and MX4 Arctic. It still goes to the same temperature what is kinda odd.

Ive checked in the Asus rog gaming center but i cant change anything there.

Is there anyone on this forum who can help me, i dont know what to do further..

Really really much thanks.

Kind regards,

Perry

That seems really hot. The older G series laptops I had would get that hot (G74Sx) but not the G752VY. seems strange that even after a repaste the temps have not changed. Could it be that one of your heatpipes is compromised? Heatpipes are vacuum sealed, so if it were to crack or break anywhere, it could hinder the pipes from doing what they should. Any excessive heat on your keyboard where the GPU/CPU are located underneath? Like the heat is not escaping? Either that or the repaste is not seating properly. Thats my guess anyway. My G752VY doesnt go pass 74C with a custom vbios and GPU @ 1300Mhz running Furmark, so 90c+ seems way out of the norm.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

Dreamonic
Level 12
Precisely what I've come across when helping others troubleshoot thermal issues (short story here). I've definitely seen poorly sealed heatpipes being the cause. And no matter the amount of mods done to improve those thermals, still with the same mediocre results after each attempt, and exhausting all options but replacing the heatsink assembly at that point, then it looks like you'll be buying another one which should address the issue.

Dreamonic
Level 12
While troubleshooting with a member on my forum over a thermal issue he was having (short story here), it turned out to be poorly sealed heatpipes being the root of the issue. Didn't matter how many mods were done, results were just the same as before, mediocre. After having exhausted all other options with this member, a replacement heatsink assembly was mentioned and this solved his thermal issue completely. Start with the cheapest options first and go from there (as you've done already).

A learning experience for sure.

Finnaly, i get an answer. The weird thing is, ive gamed for like days without any problems but after last Friday al problems came forward.

I'm gonna search for a new heatpipe, what isn't gonna be really cheap.

Thanks for the answer guys, i know what to do now!

CerealKillerGuy
Level 7
I have the same problems, my laptop overheats alot if I don't undervolt AND UNDERCLOCK my CPU. After this, my CPU still goes above 85 degrees sometimes and my GPU throttles above 84-85 degrees, no matter what Vbios I use (custom, stock). I made repaste with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 3 times, using Grizzly Thermal Pads for the VRM's but this was the best I could manage. If I don't undervolt and underclock, It goes way above 90 for CPU and GPU throttles alot (for example in PUBG). I feel so bad for giving ASUS this kind of money for this piece of crap laptop.

Just replaced my GPU heatpipes and replaced the thermalpaste, temps are nog getting higher then 70C.

So replacing the heat pipes is the main fix for this issue.

TY guys.

Perrymike wrote:
Just replaced my GPU heatpipes and replaced the thermalpaste, temps are nog getting higher then 70C.

So replacing the heat pipes is the main fix for this issue.

TY guys.

Sweet no problem. Glad you got it fixed. 🙂
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72