Level 7
Hey folks -

• R6E with the latest BIOS installed
  • Intel 7900X
  • 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - http://amzn.to/2z87ryp
  • 2 Titan X Pascal cards in SLI
  • Sound Blaster ZxR
  • Samsung 960 Pro 1TB and Samsung SM951 on the DIMM.2 card
  • 2 Samsung 850 SSDs, 2 WD HDDs attached, and 1 Blu-Ray drive attached to the SATA ports

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit is installed on the 960 Pro. I moved that drive over from my previous X99 Rampage V Extreme. And, it actually booted cleanly after doing some driver re-installs. No problem. Except: it would randomly just lock. Hard. It wouldn't blue screen with a crash notice, it would just freeze solid. It would require unplugging the PC and reconnecting it; the RESET button didn't help.

Thinking it was due to me moving a pre-installed Windows over to the new board, I did the complete format and re-install. It actually didn't help. Randomly and with no real pattern, Windows will still lock solid. I can be doing something simple like surfing the web, or something more difficult like playing a video game. Or something like just looking at the login screen.

The CPU is OC'd. But I have un-OC'd it and have had no luck, it didn't matter. CPU temps have stayed silly low given the liquid cooling I have installed.

This seems like it could be the RAM, but I honestly don't know. Windows is running through its built-in memory test right now, but so far has found nothing. I went looking through the Event Viewer each time I reboot from the crash and have found nothing at all. Whatever is happening is happening too quickly for Windows to log it.

Basically the system is completely useless for me, and I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
System specs: click here.
17 REPLIES 17

Hopper64
Level 15
Test your memory with this:

***http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

That windows test is probably worthless.*
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Hopper64
Level 15
Check this thread too:

*https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?73665-Our-preferred-memory-stress-test
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

jasonvp
Level 7
Well it's not the memory. I have 64GB of DDR4 that I removed from my previous motherboard that I know works. I swapped it in and I'm still getting the same problem.

Unfortunately I'm getting the funny feeling that the motherboard is toast. 😞

JustinThyme
Level 13
Im thinking you hit the nail on the head already, Changing up some components on the same install is one thing but changing the MOBO and chipset is another story. Ive tried this several times and it never ended well Until I bit the bullet and did a clean install.

Suggestion before you lose it......
Do a test clean install to a different drive and load the chipset first them MEI then whatever and see how that works out.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Im thinking you hit the nail on the head already, Changing up some components on the same install is one thing but changing the MOBO and chipset is another story. Ive tried this several times and it never ended well Until I bit the bullet and did a clean install.

But that was part of my troubleshooting. I completely nuked the system from orbit including trashing the partitions on the NVMe drive. In fact, I did that twice. And I haven't installed any of the Asus chipset drivers because the Fall Creators Update seems to have them already.

1st clean install to a different drive and load the chipset first them MEI then whatever and see how that works out.

Well if I had a pile of extra drives, I'd be happy to do that. I don't. I know the 960 Pro is fine as a drive. In fact I know all of the hardware I have installed on/in the system is fine since I've been using it ALL in the previous build. Except the motherboard, chip, and RAM.

I'm pretty confident the motherboard is trashed. Within the last 10 minutes it locked:

• While I was trying to install the chipset drivers
  • While I was editing info in the BIOS
  • While I was attempting to log into Windows after a fresh boot

This thing is hosed.

I did some more troubleshooting:

Disconnected the simple USB3 powered hub, and ran my keyboard and mouse directly to back of motherboard. All other USB devices were disconnected.

I attempted to switch between BIOS. As it turns out, the BIOS button doesn't actually do anything. The LED for the first BIOS is the only one that stays lit. It never switches to the second BIOS light.

I've had it lock up a couple of times while IN the BIOS. I even had it lock up while it was loading the Windows install off USB.

This thing needs to be RMA'd or dropped in the chipper/shredder. 😞

JustinThyme wrote:

Suggestion before you lose it......
Do a test clean install to a different drive and load the chipset first them MEI then whatever and see how that works out.

Ditto: I mirror Justinthyme comment. Do a system image of you data you wish to keep and do a clean install. the Volscan.sys will be the next thing that will get corrupted and you will not be able to boot into Windows at all.
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

Shamino
You are on 1002 bios?