cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which ASUS router is best for my budget/requirements

Live_Ammo
Level 10
I want to set my Virgin Media HUB 3.0 to modem only and buy an affordable ASUS router which offers better wifi. VM's wifi for me just doesn't cut it, always problems here and there though the modem itself via Ethernet is PHENOMENAL. My PC is next door from the modem hence the wiring has to go.

I have spent an arm and a leg with my first build so can't be splashing out too much. I was hoping for something under £100, with decent wifi range and app-based user device bandwidth controls (setting limits on other users or restricting them).

If it helps, we have 2 PC's (1 hardly used), 2 laptops and 5 mobile devices which will connect to wifi. Then there's the powerline adapter which links up to our TV downstairs via ethernet.

Can you recommend a decent router to fill all the void?
2 REPLIES 2

JustinThyme
Level 13
While ASUS makes nice routers I wouldnt limit my choice to a single brand. There are others that offer a better feature list in the lower tier. We all want the best performance for the lowest price point but at some point you have to make a decision on whcih is more important. Im addicted to speed and the ability to do simultaneous 4K streams over wireless with no degradation. With the router Im using coupled to FIOS GB internet ive not been able to load it down with a house full of people. Its common in my household to have 3-4 4K streams on top of internet traffic. I have teens whose Access gets cut off at 11PM on school nights and their internet activities are logged. I have to use the FIOS gateway for the initial connection to the OND for my set top boxes to work but set up a DMZ on the gateway for my wireless router because the Verizon one stinks. I even have desktops connected to it with wireless AC cards at 1.6Gbps. Im not going with a new router for the wireless AD on my new rig as its line of sight only and would take running cable just to get a wireless router in that kind of proximity to my desktop. Well if I have to run wire only Im going to use the 10GBe connection. My 8 port 10GBe switch came in today, just have to run a cable back to the router downstairs for it. Will that make my internet any faster, nope. What it will do is allow me get the max internet speed while also relocating my NAS to the same switch to get much better file transfers back and forth to the NAS which has 4 lan connecitons that I can run link aggregation on so in theory with 2.5GBps on each link and a 10GB connection to the PC I should get close to the 10 GB/s of bandwidth to and from my NAS. Wont help any other connection on the network but it will help mine immensely.

The router Im using is the ASUS AC5300 bit it wasnt cheap by any standards. If you want to keep the cost under £100 Im thinking you will have to settle for Wireless N.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

3-4 4k STREAMS - Looks like you're running the works! I take it you are familiar with router specs, terms and functions. I don't know much at all other than my broadband provider granting 150mb download and 10/20mb upload speeds on contract. Some years back I did pick up a replaced nighthawk AC1200 and I was intrigued with the functionality (though, didn't make much use of it) and performance improvements but it failed after a few months.

I don't know which would be suitable for me, what specs or model types. If I can provide you some details can you shed some light on what would work best for a budget around £100. I don't mind forking out some more if it meets the requirements OR wait a little longer to afford something that really does top the requirements without the overkill. Some details:

Speedtests on my current setup (VM Superhub 3.0) confirm:
166mbps D/L and 12mbps U/L via ethernet
35-130mbps D/L and around 9mbps U/L on wifi

Though we have several devices in and around the home, there's not much activity on these devices in terms of heavy usage, most of them are mostly Idle.

2 most active devices:
Smart TV - netflix, youtube, light browsing, etc. (connected via ethernet on powerline extender)
My new PC - heavy usage for work and gaming. Regular cloud storage D/Ls and U/Ls.

On my new PC, the Z270E ASUS mobo comes with an onboard wifi antenna.
The Manufacturers websites provides the following spec:
"802.11ac Wi-Fi with 2x2 dual-band 2.4/5GHz antennas offer up to 867 Mbps* transfer speeds — latest Multi-User MIMO (MU-MIMO) technology"

Current wifi is good enough when it's working as i'm next door to the hub. But for the love of spongebob and the yellow pants I'm sick and tired of occasional weak signals, loss of connection or just those regular slow intervals with the Hub 3.0. The web is full of dissatisfied customers addressing same/similar wifi complaints, hence not an isolated issue.

In terms of wifi range our current hub seems to stretch it's arms well enough and with our powerline extender, we seem to be doing ok. So not too fussed with super high performance increases when it comes to RANGE but something better will be great.

You mentioned you capped off access at 11pm (excellent!). I could do with the same solution, preferably PC and mobile app or am I asking for too much for the suggested budget?