cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G752VS G Sync Issues and V Sync Settings

FreshPrince15
Level 7
Hey all,

i just purchased an Asus G752VS and im happy to join the ROG Community. I just have a question to the G Sync Function of this Notebook: In the games i play i have sometimes a flickering Screen. For example in Xcom 2 or Starcraft 2. In other games, for example Diablo 3, Crysis 3 or Elex, this flickering does not appear or it only appears rare. I heard that flickering in loading Screens is normal, but as i said in Starcraft 2 and Xcom 2 it flickers also in the game, its an effect like when you close and open your eyes. The Screen doesnt go black. I have a 17,3 " Panel with G Sync and 120 hz, WideView. Ive also searched this Forum and also saw a Topic, but without a solution.

The second question i have affects the V Sync Settings: Do they Need to be turned on in the Nvida Settings on my Notebook and also on in the game i play? Or do i Need to shut the V Sync Settings off in nvida Settings and also in the game ? I dont know the right Setup for V Sync when you have a G Sync Monitor in your Notebbok.

My current Nvida Driver Version is 388.13

Thanks for your Attention. Looking forward to your answers.
ASUS G752VS Notebook
17,3 " Display - 120 hz - Nvidia G-Sync - WideView
Intel® Core™ i7 - Quad Core - Skylake
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB DDR5
16 GB DDR4 RAM
512 GB PCIE NVME SSD
1 TB SATA HDD
Integrated Blu-Ray Player
35 REPLIES 35

Torgars
Level 7
Hi FreshPrince15,

Welcome here 😉

I'm actually in the same case concerning my new Asus GL702VS and G-Sync option: in many games (maybe all I think) I got the same flashing issue (like an eye blink you're right 😉 ), the only solution is to desactivate G-sync totally or do an alt-tab then go back in game (according to G-sync indicator it still activated) and it's ok, it's really strange. I'm unable to determine if it's a driver problem (tried the 3 last without change) or an hardware one (actually thinking of asking a RMA). Can't find any solution on the internet (but it seems we're not the only one with this trouble).

Concerning the V-sync it seems that you have to force it activated in Nvidia Control Panel and desactivate any V-sync / buffering in games options. Look at this https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag/ if it help you. When you activate V-sync in Nvidia Control panel it's "a special one" intended to work with G-Sync. But to prevent some input lag when you reach your screen refresh cap (120HZ / FPS in my case) it seems that using an external FPS limiter is the best and set it 3/4 FPS under this limit.

Hope this help you and that we find a solution!

Torgars wrote:
Hi FreshPrince15,

Welcome here 😉

I'm actually in the same case concerning my new Asus GL702VS and G-Sync option: in many games (maybe all I think) I got the same flashing issue (like an eye blink you're right 😉 ), the only solution is to desactivate G-sync totally or do an alt-tab then go back in game (according to G-sync indicator it still activated) and it's ok, it's really strange. I'm unable to determine if it's a driver problem (tried the 3 last without change) or an hardware one (actually thinking of asking a RMA). Can't find any solution on the internet (but it seems we're not the only one with this trouble).

Concerning the V-sync it seems that you have to force it activated in Nvidia Control Panel and desactivate any V-sync / buffering in games options. Look at this https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag/ if it help you. When you activate V-sync in Nvidia Control panel it's "a special one" intended to work with G-Sync. But to prevent some input lag when you reach your screen refresh cap (120HZ / FPS in my case) it seems that using an external FPS limiter is the best and set it 3/4 FPS under this limit.

Thanks for your warm words! Yeah, i read this case in many other Forums! One guy said he had changed his Asus G752VS three times for a new one but he always had the same issue! When G Sync is off, no Problems! So i personally think this has something to do with the Drivers or Settings. As i said, in Stacraft II the flickering is really heavy, in Crysis 3 or Diablo 3 i have no Problems. In Xcom 2 it occurs sometimes.

Yeah i have heard about that FPS limiter, but which Software do i Need for that ? Its not implemented in the Nivida Center right? I will check the Forum link you have posted, thanks.
ASUS G752VS Notebook
16 GB DDR4 RAM
512 GB PCIE NVME SSD
1 TB SATA HDD

Torgars wrote:
Hi FreshPrince15,

Welcome here 😉

By the way: Which games are mainly effected for you? *
ASUS G752VS Notebook
16 GB DDR4 RAM
512 GB PCIE NVME SSD
1 TB SATA HDD

It seems that the mainly affected games are the one who's running at the higher framerate (100/120 FPS) like HoTS or Overwatch but others like TW Warhammer / Rise of Tomb Raider (60/80 FPS) are affected too, but maybe less often. Already tried to cap the FPS at 116/117 (in case the blinking is due to FPS hitting my monitor frequency) without success. Maybe I'll try some older drivers but if it don't resolve the problem I'll get my laptop to RMA, maybe a Gsync module problem in the monitor.

Torgars wrote:
It seems that the mainly affected games are the one who's running at the higher framerate (100/120 FPS) like HoTS or Overwatch but others like TW Warhammer / Rise of Tomb Raider (60/80 FPS) are affected too, but maybe less often. Already tried to cap the FPS at 116/117 (in case the blinking is due to FPS hitting my monitor frequency) without success. Maybe I'll try some older drivers but if it don't resolve the problem I'll get my laptop to RMA, maybe a Gsync module problem in the monitor.

I have some interesting Information: I just purchased Halo Wars 2 and have set up V Sync in the Settings to "2". The Options you have are "Off", "1" and "2". On "2" the game runs like a dream. So this flickering Thing has something to do with the Games you Play i think! Just tested Total War: Warhammer 2 and i also dont have any issues with flickering! Maybe i Need to reinstall SC 2 and Xcom 2 so they run better with G Sync?
ASUS G752VS Notebook
16 GB DDR4 RAM
512 GB PCIE NVME SSD
1 TB SATA HDD

Hi there !
It seems that the flickering occured more when I hit my monitor refresh rate so I think that's why when you play TW Warhammer 2 you don't see that much (like me in Warhammer 1). Yesterday thought that I had find the solution when changing Power Plan Mode in Nvidia Panel (Maximal Perf instead of Optimal) but finally not 😞 Today I bring back my laptop to change it by a new one and hope it solve the problem! Give you news in the week!

Hi FreshPrince15 !
Here is some news, I received a new laptop yesterday and the problem of screen blinking is present (maybe a little less but still).. I think it's not hardware related but what's the solution? Have you found some interesting things to help us?

Torgars wrote:
Hi FreshPrince15 !
Here is some news, I received a new laptop yesterday and the problem of screen blinking is present (maybe a little less but still).. I think it's not hardware related but what's the solution? Have you found some interesting things to help us?

Hey Torgars, thanks for the update. Yeah, i was already quite sure that this is not a Hardware Problem. At the Moment i am trying a fps limiter. Im using Nvidia Inspector, turned the fps Limit to 119 (because of my 120hz Screen) and i think i experienced a positive development. For example while playing Elex, i dont get any blinking Screen, except of Dialogues with NPCs in the game. Only in this Scenario i get the blinking sometimes. In Halo Wars 2, Warhammer II: Total War i do not experience any blinking, same in Diablo 3. Only sometimes in Starcraft 2 and XCOM 2. But i think in SC 2 and XCOM the blinking is really reduced.

Maybe at the Weekend i will try out an older NVIDA Driver. Some People told that this can fix this G Sync issue. Others say the blinking in games at some spots, like in loading Screens etc., is quite normal.

An official Statement in this case would be helpful i think.
ASUS G752VS Notebook
16 GB DDR4 RAM
512 GB PCIE NVME SSD
1 TB SATA HDD

CerealKillerGuy
Level 7
You have to force adaptive v-sync in Nvidia Control Panel (if your GPU has it, my 980m doesn't). It's a special kind of V-sync that kicks in above your maximum refresh rate to get the benefits of both worlds (G-sync and V-sync)