cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Z370F - 8700K - Power Limit Exceeded

flacer
Level 7
I'm testing some (not extreme) configuration for my 8700k from bios, using HWInfo64 and logging data.
I use Handbrake and x265 encoding to stress the processor and verifing stability.

I notice that when there is Core Power limit Exceed, the Core Ratio drop down ...
But HWInfo report that Maximum Core VID is 1.345 (average 1.254) with Core temp Max of 74 (average 52) Water cooling AIO

I'm using this configuration ...
XMP Disable
MCE Disable
Sync all cores x47
CPU Core/Cache voltage: adaptive mode
Additional Turbo mode CPU core voltage: 1.315
Offset voltage 0.05
IA AC & IA DC Load Line 0.01
SVID behaviour: best-case scenario
LLC 5

Can someone help me ... Thx ...

Also Using Default Settings and MCE Disable ... There are errors ...
This is the report with x265 encoding ... why the core Ratio drop down to 41X and Power Limit Exceeded with Vcore of 1.232 ???
15 REPLIES 15

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Increase the CPU power limit to 140%. The Core VID values shown in HWINFO are irrelevant for voltage monitoring.

Raja
Level 13
If you want to raise the TDP power limit, you can either enable MCE (easiest way considering you're running sync all cores), or you can adjust the long and short duration power limits manually.

I had the same problem with my Z370-F Strix board, and even raising power limit in BIOS did not totally prevent the CPU from power throttling. In fact, default voltages applied by the board are far too high for stock frequencies, even with MCE.
You can try manual mode and see what voltage you need. For my 8700K at 4.7 GHz on all cores, I only needed 1.20V, despite using a 3600 MHz RAM kit. Under very high stress, vcore did not exceed 1.23V. There was no throttling any longer, and of course, temperatures were cooler. Even with AVX in linpack, with power limit on 140W (my cooler is a Pure Rock given for 150W TDP), all cores were running at 4.7 GHz and max temp threshold at 85°C was not exceeded.
Then, you can set offset or adaptive voltage mode according to what manual voltage you needed. For my part, I had to set a negative offset of 0.14V and set LLC on 1.
As I said above, default voltages are delirious. With everything on default, except SVID behaviour on best scenario, vcore could exceed 1.4V. Also, vssa and vccio are hugely too high with XMP profiles. I don't understand why ASUS engineers have setted so high default values, do they realize that a user without particular knowledge keeping everything on default except XMP will expose his CPU to power/thermal throttling and even accelerated decay ?

can someone explain long and short duration power limits value (and also give some good value to insert) ? ...

I found this info ...
Long Duration Packet Power Limit defines the throttle point of when the CPU should throttle down when the power consumption exceed the defined level. This is also known as the first level of protection to prevent the CPU from been damaged due to overclocking. The unit is watte. The Intel default value of this option is the TDP(Thermal Design Power) of that processor. When left at AUTO, the BIOS will load the Asus recommended value defined by the Asus OC Expert Team for the ease of O.C.
Package Power Time Window defines the length of time in seconds that is allowed for the CPU to operate at above TDP yet below the Long Duration Package Power Limit. The unit is in seconds, with the maximum length limited at no more than 127.
Short Duration Package Power Limit defines the absolute highest power consumption that the CPU can sustain for a very short period of time to compensate the possibility of a sudden drain of power when under extreme high load. This is also considered the second layer of protection to prevent the CPU from been damaged due to overclocking. The unit is also in wattle. The Intel default of this value is 1.25 times the product defined TDP (i.e. the Long Duration Package Power Limit). Though Intel spec only requires the power plan to be capable of sustaining no less than 10ms when reaching the configured Short Duration Package Power Limit, the Asus motherboards can sustain much longer than that for the ease of O.C.

Raja
Level 13
You can just enable MCE, or set 4095 to max them out.

Thanx ... I will try this Weekend with new bios 5428 Beta.

I will use handbrake and 4K x265 encoding to stress cpu for 15m (hwinfo64 monitoring for Power limit Exceed)... starting from [per core] with 6 at x44 ..
I will proceed step by step.

Final test wil be 12h.

I have do some test with new bios 0430, the system is more stable ...
encondig x265 Handbrake 1080P - 6h test ..
1) Using all default settings with core set as (x50 1 - x49 2 - x48 3&4 - x47 5&6)
the medium value are
CPU Temp 75° - Power 127W - Vcore 1,316 - CoreVid 1,353 - Core Clock 4.700

2) Using all default settings with core set as (x50 1 - x49 2 - x48 3&4&5&6)
the medium value are
CPU Temp 78° - Power 134W - Vcore 1,340 - CoreVid 1,379 - Core Clock 4.800

2) Using personalized settings (see note 1) with core set as (x50 1 - x49 2 - x48 3&4&5&6)
the medium value are
CPU Temp 64° - Power 104W - Vcore 1,207 - CoreVid 1,324 - Core Clock 4.800

Wow ... -14° temp, -30W Power, -0,133 Vcore and CoreVid is more correct !!!!!!!!!!!

Today I will try to lower Vcore to 1,300 and will give result with another one test of 6h enconding

[Note 1]
MCE Enable
Ai Overclock Tuner: [Manual]
SVID Behavior: [Best-Case Scenario]
CPU Core Ratio: [Per Core]
Ratio: (x50 1 - x49 2 - x48 3&4&5&6)
CPU Core/Cache Voltage: [Adaptive Mode]
Additional Turbo mode CPU core voltage: [1.316]
Offset voltage: [0.004]
IA AC Load Line: [0.01]
IA DC Load Line: [0.01]

Following thread!

Do some test x265 encoding ... but the result are not good ...

Vcore 1.280 and 48x ... handbrake crash after 40m
Vcore 1.316 and 49x ... handbrake crash after 10m
Vcore 1.320 and 49x ... handbrake crash after 10m

So I decide to retest last good configuration at 1.316 and 48x, 5h test and all is fine (same previously results) ...

I make some consideration about cpu stress and X core factor (by calculator)...
The same job of 5h encoded at x49 (4.900) is only 6m less than x48 (4.800) just 2% less
The same job of 5h encoded at x50 (5.000) is only 12m less than x48 (4.800) just 4% less

In my opinion stressing the cpu over x48 for too much time is not efficent ...
Now at x48 I have Max CPU Pack Temp @ 63° with CPU/Thread % of 78,9 and Power Pckg 105W Vcore 1,207 CoreVid 1,324 (in bios set Vcore 1,316 offset 0,004)

For x49 I must raise the Vcore ... but for now my test will be to stay at x48 and lower the vcore and after activate XMP .. I will tell you tomorrow