cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero - Win10 - Faulting application name: ATKEX_cmd.exe

SlackROG
Level 10
I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 and I only have just the drivers from the site installed into the OS, nothing else.

I have the latest Realtek drivers installed Version 6.0.1.8158.

I noticed in the System Logs this Event ID 1000 related to Realtek.

Faulting application name: ATKEX_cmd.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.1770, time stamp: 0x59bf2bcf
Exception code: 0x0eedfade
Fault offset: 0x000daa12
Faulting process id: 0x1584
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3535b6e1633cc
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\ATKEX_cmd.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 7ddec338-76d2-4a0a-98a1-5ae995548e26
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Since I just installed Win10 I haven't done much with it. I did check in the 'Control Panel' - 'Sound' - 'Check system sounds', and I played a few and I heard sound ok through my speakers.

I just find this disturbing on a motherboard that has been around as long as this, that there's this kind of a error, for whatever may be going on.

This error always appears on a system restart.

Are the Realtek drivers being used by this motherboard, just Vanilla/Stock Realtek drivers? If so I guess I could try grabbing some newer version directly from Realtek and see if it helps?

Thanks for looking...
5 REPLIES 5

brkkab123
Level 7
Have you run Windows Update & Store apps update, too. Do both until none are found.
Also, if you have a video card have you installed it's driver ?
If so, I don't know about Nvidia card;s, but AMD card's change your default sound device to the video card, after each driver update to the video card, so you need to make your speakers the default sound device again after each video card driver update.
Check and do all of that and see if the issue still happens.
Also, have you upgraded the motherboards UEFI to 3401 and configured SonicStudio ? Also configure Realtek sound in the Control Panel, too.

SlackROG
Level 10
I just installed the Audio drivers off the cd to see how these were going to be.

I see this as an issue related to the latest Realtek drivers, because the Realtek version off the cd is not creating this error...

SlackROG
Level 10
I spent a day messing with this.

It's not like I'm using different hardware, this is just the stock motherboard and Audio drivers like everyone else.

I'm wondering if people are not checking the System Logs on Windows 10?

Every version except the version on the CD is effected;

The CD version I have is Version 6.0.1.7629 which does not give this error.

SlackROG
Level 10
Asus is releasing driver versions to us, that is the proper way to be updating drivers like this, not through MS updates.

This is a bug I reported to Asus...

SlackROG
Level 10
TWO Years later ASUS I still see this problem...

THANKS for not releasing an update after 2 years to fix this problem, totally unacceptable!

P.S. I just renamed the exe to .bak for now...