cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing bios question

khtan2000
Level 7
sorry if this has been posted before but I tried searching for ways to flash my Asus x370 Hero motherboard with the released bios 1701 (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/)

Currently my bios is on 9920 evaluation bios and I want to try flashing it with the release bios 1701 but having trouble to do so

1. Using Asus Bios EZ flash utility , when select the 1701 bios file, it gives an error "file is not an EUFI bios" or something like that. File already unzipped in the pendrive *.CAP file
2. Using Asus Flashback utility, and I rename the 1701 bios file to C6H.CAP , insert the pendrive into the USB port indicated bios and press the bios button for 3 seconds. It blinks for 1-2 minutes + and then the light turns solid. I waited for 15 minutes to see whether the light goes off but it still remains solid. Upon powering up, the old bios 9920 is still present. Somehow the Flashback utility is not working for me.
3. Using Asus Bios EZ flash and check using internet, it always shows I'm using the latest bios version (guess the number 9920 indicates it is a much higher version than 1701)

Pendrive has been formatted with FAT32 via windows formatting tool, I also tried to format it using RUFUS and set partition scheme to "MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI" and the result is still the same. PC is on standby mode when I did the Asus flashback method.
PC is using windows 10 64bit.

Is there any steps I missed out or I needed to do in order to flash my bios back?

Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16

Clouseau
Level 7
The only time I have been able to get the Flashback method to work was by using an old USB 2.0 drive. None of my 3.0 drives would work. Also that renaming utility rendered the file useless. Just pressed the F2 key and typed in C6H and was good to go.

Clouseau wrote:
The only time I have been able to get the Flashback method to work was by using an old USB 2.0 drive. None of my 3.0 drives would work. Also that renaming utility rendered the file useless. Just pressed the F2 key and typed in C6H and was good to go.

Also has to be a fat formatted drive.

Clouseau wrote:

unknownmiscreant wrote:
Also has to be a fat formatted drive.

Thanks for the tips, I will try it out later. I'm using an old Usb 2.0 drive as well, Kingston 16gb DT101 G2. I will try it out with FAT format instead and also the F2 key(didnt know there was a shortcut)

The renaming utility was kinda useless to me, it just mention incorrect file format, press any key to continue.. then it just stops responding(in admin mode windows 10). Ended up i just rename it directly to C6H.CAP instead.

khtan2000 wrote:
Thanks for the tips, I will try it out later. I'm using an old Usb 2.0 drive as well, Kingston 16gb DT101 G2. I will try it out with FAT format instead and also the F2 key(didnt know there was a shortcut)

The renaming utility was kinda useless to me, it just mention incorrect file format, press any key to continue.. then it just stops responding(in admin mode windows 10). Ended up i just rename it directly to C6H.CAP instead.

The drive I use that works is an old 2GB USB 2.0 Imation drive formatted in fat32. I have tried using NTFS drives in the BIOS in the past. I think it works with EZ flash but not screenshots.

Although I use the 2GB for all the BIOS management stuff.

I'd also be careful with 1701. I have found 9920 more reliable.

unknownmiscreant wrote:
The drive I use that works is an old 2GB USB 2.0 Imation drive formatted in fat32. I have tried using NTFS drives in the BIOS in the past. I think it works with EZ flash but not screenshots.

Although I use the 2GB for all the BIOS management stuff.

I'd also be careful with 1701. I have found 9920 more reliable.

Yes, I did read on the 1701 but i guess I would like to try that, I still got the 9920 as a backup if 1701 turns out to be even worst. Had issues on 9920 as well so decided to try other bios versions.

Unfortunately I tried again, still unable to flash the bios using either way, in fact it got worst
1. Reformat the USB into GPT partition FAT32 via RUFUS, EZ flash utility hang upon press to read the bios file, need to do a hard reset to recover.
2. Using the same pendrive, Flashback is also not working, after 2 seconds the light turn solid, power cycle , still the same bios.
3. Tried another old USB 2.0 16gb drive, also not working (previously I used this drive to flash in 9920 via EZ flash utility).

Anymore ideas?

Clouseau wrote:

You do realize that the flashback port is a usb 2.0 port, right? I'm also pretty sure that the 1701 bios is for the Crosshair VI Extreme mobo, and not sure about the Hero. So that could also be the problem.

khtan2000 wrote:
Yes, I did read on the 1701 but i guess I would like to try that, I still got the 9920 as a backup if 1701 turns out to be even worst. Had issues on 9920 as well so decided to try other bios versions.

Unfortunately I tried again, still unable to flash the bios using either way, in fact it got worst
1. Reformat the USB into GPT partition FAT32 via RUFUS, EZ flash utility hang upon press to read the bios file, need to do a hard reset to recover.
2. Using the same pendrive, Flashback is also not working, after 2 seconds the light turn solid, power cycle , still the same bios.
3. Tried another old USB 2.0 16gb drive, also not working (previously I used this drive to flash in 9920 via EZ flash utility).

Anymore ideas?

First, you should not use Rufus to setup the drive. It needs to be formatted as Fat32 and nothing more. Then you need to make sure you are using the correct bios. 1701 is for the CH6 Extreme mobo. So trying to rename a CH6 Extreme image, C6H is going to give you a solid light after a second or two, and do nothing else. I have not researched what the number of the latest Hero bios is, but I know I am using 1701 on my Extreme board. And the renaming of 1701 should by C6E. So that very well could be your problem here.
I updated my Extreme mobo with 1701 using the flashback port, and it went perfectly well. No problems at all. So maybe check into the bios name, and make sure. Because I wouldn't even put it past asus to screw up and put the wrong bios on your drivers site. I've seen it before...
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

AQUASTEVAE wrote:

You do realize that the flashback port is a usb 2.0 port, right? I'm also pretty sure that the 1701 bios is for the Crosshair VI Extreme mobo, and not sure about the Hero. So that could also be the problem.

First, you should not use Rufus to setup the drive. It needs to be formatted as Fat32 and nothing more. Then you need to make sure you are using the correct bios. 1701 is for the CH6 Extreme mobo. So trying to rename a CH6 Extreme image, C6H is going to give you a solid light after a second or two, and do nothing else. I have not researched what the number of the latest Hero bios is, but I know I am using 1701 on my Extreme board. And the renaming of 1701 should by C6E. So that very well could be your problem here.
I updated my Extreme mobo with 1701 using the flashback port, and it went perfectly well. No problems at all. So maybe check into the bios name, and make sure. Because I wouldn't even put it past asus to screw up and put the wrong bios on your drivers site. I've seen it before...

I use an old HP usb disk format utility for my USB drives and Rufus for making win 10 drives.

There is a 1701 bios in the downloads section of the C6H. I checked. I managed to flash it. I ran it for a week or two after it came out before I tried 9920 and I stuck have stuck with that, as its currently stable for me.

I have a file sitting on downloads called "CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-1701.CAP" That I have no recollection of renaming, so there is a 1701 for the C6H.

AQUASTEVAE wrote:

Actually I already did try with windows 10 formatting it to FAT32, i could get the flashback to run for 1-2 minutes(bios light blinking) then it turns solid. After reboot still the same Bios as before. Then I thought maybe I need RUFUS to get the correct partitioning , MBR but that is no go as well.
The Bios 1701 I've is gotten directly from Asus website with Crosshair 6 hero and not extreme version unless Asus screws up and put the wrong bios in their site.

unknownmiscreant wrote:
I use an old HP usb disk format utility for my USB drives and Rufus for making win 10 drives.

There is a 1701 bios in the downloads section of the C6H. I checked. I managed to flash it. I ran it for a week or two after it came out before I tried 9920 and I stuck have stuck with that, as its currently stable for me.

I have a file sitting on downloads called "CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-1701.CAP" That I have no recollection of renaming, so there is a 1701 for the C6H.

Yes, I've the same file with "CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-1701.CAP" which I rename to C6H.CAP. I found an old USB 2.0 4gB drive and will try it out later to see whether flashback works.
Do I need to clear the CMOS before using flashback? Saw some video yesterday on Flashback tutorial asking to clear the CMOS first. So far I didn't clear the CMOS when I tried the flashback utility.

khtan2000 wrote:

Yes, I've the same file with "CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-1701.CAP" which I rename to C6H.CAP. I found an old USB 2.0 4gB drive and will try it out later to see whether flashback works.
Do I need to clear the CMOS before using flashback? Saw some video yesterday on Flashback tutorial asking to clear the CMOS first. So far I didn't clear the CMOS when I tried the flashback utility.

I flashed to 1701 from 9920 today using EZ flash. So it definitely works. Do you have the Wifi version? As it needs a different BIOS version.

You could try using a better flash drive, as I have found cheap ones don't play nicely in BIOS environments. The 2.0GB one I have only works, as I it is very old.