cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio goes out of sync in various programs/games

Vinny1001
Level 9
Hi. I've almost always had audio issues on this board - from day 1. Swapped all components to another board back in 2015 and had 0 issues, but truly wanted the Asus board. Never had issues on Asus boards prior to the Hero Alpha. In 2015 I swapped to other Asus VIII boards, all resulting the same issue.

Prior to 2 months ago, I was always using SonicStudioII. For me, it is great software and gives what I need. I had tinkered with updating the realtek drivers and stuff started getting wonky, so I uninstalled all audio related drivers/programs and couldn't reinstall SSII. I had to reinstall Win10 to be able to reinstall SSII again.

Since the new install, I can uninstall/reinstall SSII just fine, but no matter what version I get, my audio eventually goes out of sync in any program. Web browers on youtube, Media Player, video games, etc. I have all latest drivers from the motherboard driver page, and even tried installing the later drivers direct from their own webpages.

The audio will go out of sync after a few minutes or so, and it's out of sync by a second, sometimes 2, and in the past was never like that.

I ran LatencyMon and after 6 minutes it coughed up a network driver. I know back in 2015 the audio pops/click when an audio channel opened was caused by the Intel LAN driver, which someone pointed out a year and a half later that the driver version was actually causing that issue. (I don't have that issue anymore).

Thoughts? I've also ran DDU for a fresh GPU driver installation to eliminate that being any issue (never gave an issue before but who knows). I also use revouninstaller when removing drivers/software.
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.
14 REPLIES 14

SlackROG
Level 10
Read this and try version 6.0.1.7629 and see how that works for you...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97135-Maximus-VIII-Hero-Win10-Faulting-application-name-AT...

Vinny1001
Level 9
Well I was on the driver 7904 from the mobo site before I uninstalled and couldn't reinstall, and all was fine. It was when I reinstalled Win10, reinstalled the drivers, and then audio became out of sync. I tried even upgrading to the latest, both off of the mobo driver page as well as direct from realtek.

I followed your suggest since 2 days ago, on the 7629 driver, and face the same audio sync issues. It's not all the time out of sync, but happens over time playing a video.

Also, randomly still, on either Steam or Discord voice chat, my buddies will randomly start hearing themselves while gaming. Literally, all parameters are the same for lets say 40 minutes, then they'll randomly be hearing themselves. I then leave the discord chat and rejoin and it works again fine. Same thing happens on Steam voice chat.

Could BIOS 3504 have something to do with it? Maybe I can go to the most stable BIOS and check everything.

This is just unacceptable for what they make the motherboard out to be. I've always ran Asus boards, and almost always their GPU's.

I tried their other VIII boards and all had the same issues. This may be the last Asus board I buy, knowing there are more reliable boards out there.

Please if anyone can give further tips, I'd really appreciate it.
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

Vinny1001 wrote:
This is just unacceptable for what they make the motherboard out to be. I've always ran Asus boards, and almost always their GPU's.

I tried their other VIII boards and all had the same issues. This may be the last Asus board I buy, knowing there are more reliable boards out there.

I feel bad about your situation vinny1001 - I have seen your struggles for a long time. I'd just end the bluff and buy one of those "more reliable boards". This thread is now at the 10 day old mark and isn't exactly overflowing with "me too" posts. I think you would be a lot happier selling your board on Amazon or eBay and buying an alternative if you are convinced of this wealth of better boards.

I have none of these issues with a Maximus VIII Hero Alpha. I don't limit background tasks, I don't use 3rd party drivers, no reg hacks, no geekuninstaller, no cleanpcnow, no standonheadholdupsidedown, nothing... I just install and everything works.

Vinny1001
Level 9
Bump. No one has any idea?

Vinny1001 wrote:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/input-lag-decreasing-dpc-latency-decreasing.406260/#post-5246975

Do this! i get max 30ns

To get rid of unused devices and drivers, get Device Remover.
Install, run and go Display mode > Show only hidden/detached devices.
Check the entire tree, then uncheck anything to do with printers or you will be reinstalling your printer drivers. :cussing: I actually recommend doing so and making sure you get the bare bones drivers as anything with a utility usually has massive hard faults or creates extra processes or services you don't need to F everything up.
But if you don't want to uninstall your printer, (since it's not on it's detected as disconnected) uncheck the three categories with "print" in the name, software devices, then imaging devices.
Now click remove all checked, yes, yes, etc. And it'll do it's thing.
It looks really scary at first, but it's just things that WERE connected, but are not anymore.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/device_remover_543c.html

Vinny1001 wrote:

aslo VERY VERY USEFUL! WORKS JUTS RIGHT

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-line-based-vs-message-signaled-based-interrupts.378044/

Vinny1001
Level 9
Yeah since day 1 back in 2015 I had audio issues from every ROG Z170 board, but Gigabyte and MSI didn't have those issues with the SAME hardware I'm using today. 😞 But that audio issue was fixed and now it's a desync issue and the mic playing any audio output, even if I mute my sound, but occurs randomly.

I'd hate to have to stop using Asus because of these issues. I like the performance! haha

When I was on windows 1607, I had no sync issues. I had the mic playback issue, so that's when I tried uninstalling/reinstalling SSII, but wasn't reinstalling, and that's when I did a fresh Win10 install, which installed the creators update 1703, and I was able to then reinstall SSII normally, but then the desync started happening. I'm thinking maybe the SSII software isn't fully compatible with that Win 1703 version? Maybe?

Right now I'm going to uninstall SSII and just run the dry realtek drivers and see if there's sync issues. If not, then I'll assume software conflict from SSII. I'll go back to Win 1607 and install the software for when I didn't have the sync issue, and see if it comes back.

Dang no geekuninstaller or cleanpcnow? What about fixeverything.exe

Yeah AKBAAR I think that may be the last resort because before I never had these issues so why is it so random. Thanks anyway 😞

SlackROG
Level 10
BIOS, hmm I'm on 2202 and audio works fine for me, but I am also using Win7.

Maybe there's a Win10 issue here too, something to keep in the back of your mind.

The only time I ever had audio sync issues was when something else was running in the background pulling the system down.

Check to see how many services and things you have running in the background, also try disabling your antivirus when you play audio and see what happens.

Since you've been going at it already, I would start with the approach that you have to much bloat going on with system resources, and background services pulling at the system, and make sure everything is running nice and light.

NOW here's a complelty different approach here, BUT do you have a spare hard drive laying around?

Get another hard drive, unless you know how to mess with resizing partitions, being a geek and moving over some space and dual booting with Linux.

I would get Windows out of the picture for now, and install Linux and see how sound works in Linux, and if it works, then you'll know it's not a bad motherboard, it's just the software, and the system, something out of wack...

LEARN Clonezilla;

http://clonezilla.org/

The reason I say Clonezilla, you install Windows, only the system, not any drivers, then make a backup.

Then you install only the drivers, make another backup.

Then start installing a few apps, make another backup.

Now if something breaks, you have a clean install to go back to and start over to work out problems from, it makes for an easier way to troubleshoot..

Vinny1001
Level 9
I have the same programs installed as previous drivers/win versions etc. Nothing has changed other than newer drivers and win10 updates. Obviously there can be some driver conflict with other drivers or even Win10 versions.

I'll possibly do what you suggested after I eliminate a few other ideas.

So Monday I used the WIndows default audio drivers (so not realtek), and audio seemed fine and normal from what I can tell, across the board.

Today, I'm running Realtek audio drivers 6.0.1.7910, and NO sonic studio II.

I'll have a few shows/videos to watch so I will check the audio out over the next few days.

If out of sync, realtek is conflicting w/ something. I then may downgrade my Win10 to a known working version when everything was OK and try realtek in there.

Thanks for the support. Maybe someone will have a better idea soon 😛