cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about motherboard drivers

Seraphim5683
Level 7
Hi all, I own a Z270I motherboard and noticed that some of the driver installation packages have a Hotfix folder as well, which includes another setup executable for both 32 and 64 bit versions, as well as a Windows Update package. It appears I already have all of the included Windows Updates installed but should I run the setup executable from the Hotfix folders or does that not matter?

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
the answer is in theory, no. with the main asus xxx.exe is enough. since in theory it will load it. if the os is 32, it will load the 32, etc.

In Theory.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Menthol
Level 14
I have run them in the past, if you don't need the hot fix, it will give an error stating it is not needed

In Theory

Thanks all, I'm able to install the drivers both from the main directory .exe and the Hotfix folder .exe without any errors that I don't need it, so I'll go with the Hotfix executable.

One more thing, is there any way to get the .INF files for the chipset drivers?

JustinThyme
Level 13
They should be on the disk/usb. If not look for chipset drivers on your MOBO support page and ALWAYS INSTALL CHIPSET FIRST!!!! Then Intel MEI. this is very important. after those two I prefer graphics followed by the sound but it really doesnt matter. Just get the first two done in that order before anything else.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
They should be on the disk/usb. If not look for chipset drivers on your MOBO support page and ALWAYS INSTALL CHIPSET FIRST!!!! Then Intel MEI. this is very important. after those two I prefer graphics followed by the sound but it really doesnt matter. Just get the first two done in that order before anything else.

That was the order I was planning on, however the choosey driver on my Mobo's support page doesn't contain the .INF files and I have no way of reading the driver disk that came in the package.... Guess it's time to invest in a USB disk drive.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Your chipset drivers, just run the exe

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/Chipset10.1.1.44_RS2_20170718.zip?_ga=2.191411817.2133...

Your MEI

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/Consumer_11.7.0.1040.zip?_ga=2.262765647.2133474258.15...

And USB jump drives are dirt cheap these days. I but the Sandisk cruizers for work by the 10 pack of 8GB for like $20. Bought a 3pack leaxar 256GB USB 3.0 for $60 on a special at Office Depot. I about flipped when I saw a USB 3.0 256GB jump drive!!! Especially when I look in the way back machine and my first hard drive machine has a whopping 40MB! LOL

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Your chipset drivers, just run the exe

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/Chipset10.1.1.44_RS2_20170718.zip?_ga=2.191411817.2133...

Your MEI

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/Consumer_11.7.0.1040.zip?_ga=2.262765647.2133474258.15...

And USB jump drives are dirt cheap these days. I but the Sandisk cruizers for work by the 10 pack of 8GB for like $20. Bought a 3pack leaxar 256GB USB 3.0 for $60 on a special at Office Depot. I about flipped when I saw a USB 3.0 256GB jump drive!!! Especially when I look in the way back machine and my first hard drive machine has a whopping 40MB! LOL

Thanks for the links, those are the drivers I have previously downloaded myself, however I'm looking for the .INF files is because I'm trying to deploy them in a WinPE environment. I'm trying to restore a system image from my laptop to my desktop using Macrium Reflect and it won't work without the .INF chipset files.

I still have my 2GB drive from my first Pentium machine... Heck, most of that PC is still intact, didn't have the heart to part with it 🙂

I figured it out, I should really learn to read readme files, specifically the one that tells you how to extract the .inf files from the executable... *facepalm*

I was able to redeploy the image to my desktop but now I encountered a new issue. Every time I try installing the Chipset drivers the PC freezes on the last install screen where it asks whether I'd like to restart now or later to finish the installation. I end up having to do a hard shut down and the chipset driver installation never completes successfully.... Did anyone ever run into this issue?