cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X hero WiFi - G.Skill 3200 2x8GB not clocking to 3200

MixMike
Level 7
I'm new to overclocking & tweaking but I've done a few days worth of reading and trying others' settings and/or trying my own. I'm having no luck or I'm not donig this right.

Bios 0505
1080 ti
3200 16gb ram 2x8gb

I get a "bios has posted in safe mode" every time I try to adjust my overclock settings in BIOS.

What works:
Overclock preset 5G which works fine, touching nothing else.

What doesnt work (only listing things changed):
Setting dram to 3200 and vram to 1.35.
XMP (yes) with setting the dram to 3200, auto voltage
XMP (yes) with setting the dram to 3200, 1.35 vram

I've seen others say to adjust the 2 cpu voltages but would that affect my ram at all?

I'm just looking to get my RAM to work at it's intended speed first, then overclock cpu to something stable.

Have an AIO on the cpu.

Any tips on what settings I should apply to get my RAM to run at 3200?
7 REPLIES 7

Menthol
Level 14
MixMike,
Welcome to the ROG forums
Could you please list all your hardware, the specific memory kit you have with a link.
3200mhz should be a fairly easy speed to reach, along with the 1.35 vdimm try entering 1.2 volts for VCCIO and VCCSA, you may also have to up CPU core voltage a tiny bit
If I have a memory kit similar to yours I can post some bios screen shots of the settings it takes for me

Menthol wrote:
MixMike,
Welcome to the ROG forums
Could you please list all your hardware, the specific memory kit you have with a link.
3200mhz should be a fairly easy speed to reach, along with the 1.35 vdimm try entering 1.2 volts for VCCIO and VCCSA, you may also have to up CPU core voltage a tiny bit
If I have a memory kit similar to yours I can post some bios screen shots of the settings it takes for me

I've updated my specs and I'll try your suggestions.

I'm just trying to get my RAM close to the speed I paid for. Thanks.

MixMike wrote:
I've updated my specs and I'll try your suggestions.

I'm just trying to get my RAM close to the speed I paid for. Thanks.

Hello there; we have the exact same memory modules installed. XMP was one of the first things I had configured right from the start. With just XMP profile in AI Tweak enabled, default values for VCCIO and VCCSA (Auto) mine worked out of the box.

Maybe you could try loading the defaults and enabling just XMP for testing purposes.

Carbonicdk
Level 8
As you can see in my thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96979-New-Z370-system-unstable-memory-and-AURA-issues I too have issues. My 3600mhz memory can currently only work at 3100mhz with fiddling with the most common memory settings. According to the person from ASUS responding in the thread we might need to wait for bios upgrades. Also manually lowering your subtimings manually might also somehow work.

From what I can read on the forum memory issues is a general issue on Z370 Asus boards for a lot of configs. All in all, Z370 is not a good overclocking platform yet for the overclocking beginner, memory is easily unstable and require you to fiddle with more than XMP and primary timings + BIOS's give the CPU's too much voltage on easy overclock settings.

Thanks for the responses. I'll update with more info soon.

JustinThyme
Level 13
If your memory will run at XMP with other clocks at stock you got what you paid for.
Up the cache voltage a bit.
There is no rhyme or reason, only trial and error. What others get is a good start but*
Not your rig. Use the BIOS to make your changes and do it manually. AI suite and BIOS optimization tools seldom yield decent results and often lead to failure. *
Don’t try to adjust too many things at once. Start at default and find your stable CPU then work on the cache. Sometimes it’s a balancing act and to get the best cache that will affect your ram you may need to back off 1 on your multi for the core. One you have these stable work on ram last. Again, for best results steer clear of *auto and software tuners.****

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Sorry I haven't followed up on this. Busy end of the year and start.

I'll be fiddling with this more this week.

Thanks for the replies, I will report back soon.

Also, updated to bios 1003.