New ROGer Array

Intel XTU undervolt question, doesn't make a difference in temperature at all?

Hello all,

I've playing around with Intel XTU undervolt for quite sometime now and it seems that undervolting by -0.1v to -0.130v don't make a difference in temperature at all.

I'm playing Mass Effect Andromeda on my GL502vmk (7700hq, gtx1060 6g) with TurboBoost disabled, and at stock voltage, the average CPU temp. is 75c ~ 77c, when I turn on Intel XTU and undervolt to -0.125v....the temp is still around 75c ~ 77c.

How come many users of intel XTU claim that they see a huge drop in core temperature (10c to 15c difference!)....but in my case it isn't working at all.

I'm currently running on bios 305, and the stock voltage in the bios menu is approx. 0.930v, and undervolting to 800mV dont make a difference

I will appreciate it very much if someone can share some insights.

Thanks

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Izuizu View Post
    Hello all,

I've playing around with Intel XTU undervolt for quite sometime now and it seems that undervolting by -0.1v to -0.130v don't make a difference in temperature at all.

I'm playing Mass Effect Andromeda on my GL502vmk (7700hq, gtx1060 6g) with TurboBoost disabled, and at stock voltage, the average CPU temp. is 75c ~ 77c, when I turn on Intel XTU and undervolt to -0.125v....the temp is still around 75c ~ 77c.

How come many users of intel XTU claim that they see a huge drop in core temperature (10c to 15c difference!)....but in my case it isn't working at all.

I'm currently running on bios 305, and the stock voltage in the bios menu is approx. 0.930v, and undervolting to 800mV dont make a difference

I will appreciate it very much if someone can share some insights.

Thanks

The people posting a 10-15c difference are probably testing the machine in a situation where only the CPU is active. Since the majority of the heat in these systems is created by the GPU, using a GPU intense application to test will cloud the results. Also, The BIOS is designed to allow the CPU to heat up all the way to 99c and rely on thermal throttling to kick-in, even though your CPU is making less heat the Fans will react by slowing down.

Bottom line, to get noticeable result you need both the GPU undervolted and a way to force the fans to maintain a higher rpm. Honestly undervolting the CPU is the smallest part of the lower overall temps equation

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array jab383 PC Specs
    jab383 PC Specs
    Motherboard24/7 rig : Maximus VI Extreme
    Processori7 4790K
    Memory (part number)16GB Mushkin Redline 2400 10-12-12-28 + 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 10-12-12-31
    Graphics Card #1AMD Firepro W5000
    Sound CardM6E Supreme FX
    MonitorDell U2413
    Storage #1Kingston SH103S3240G SSD
    Storage #2Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB
    CPU CoolerCustom water loop, Delidded, Liquid Metal TIM
    CaseCoolerMaster HAF XM
    Power SupplyCorsair HX-750
    Keyboard Logitech G710+
    Mouse Logitech M705
    OS Windows 7 64 Pro

You may have an issue of comparing apples to oranges. The game that gives 75-77C at higher voltage is not a CPU load that compares to XTU. XTU uses Prime95 as its stress test -- a notoriously hot load. It's reasonable that a more strenuous load at lower voltage would give that high temperature. Run the comparison again with the same software running each time.