cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using GPU for ffpmeg and similar apps

megwenda
Level 7
OK, so Ive got a beautiful Strix 1080 ti 011g gaming with a new x299 asus prime mb and i9-7900x cpu (all water-cooled and OC'ed), and its great for playing games.

But sometimes we need to do work things as well, and I need to be able to use the GPU for transcoding, and just cannot get it to work

I have downloaded all latest drivers (mb and gpu) that I could find. I have tried with and without the NVIDIA Media SDK, but processing is always done on the CPU.

GPU-Z reports the card supports everything (all four boxes at the bottom are checked).

When I try the intel_mediasdk_analyzer_64, it reports the main GPU as GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI with version 23.21.13.8813 and as active, however it then lists the tips, saying HW target does not work, advising to install the latest INTEL gfx driver

Somewhere I must be missing something, but cannot see what it is
Any help would be appreciated

Regards
Dave
4 REPLIES 4

Deepcuts
Level 10
I might be wrong but intel SDK is for the integrated intel GPU.
For this to work you need to have the intel gpu active and a monitor plugged into it.

I believe you need the following three things to get what you want happening with ffmpeg:

1. The latest NVIDIA driver for your card
2. The CUDA toolkit for NVIDIA on Windows; https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads
3. To run ffmpeg with "ffmpeg -hwaccel cuvid" as a parameter

Thanks for the tips
I am away from home this weekend, so will try again on monday

The x299 platfirm does not have integrated gpu, so intel sdk wont work.... but i havent tried the nvidia cuda kit

mfG
Dave

Still no joy, tried the cuda but couldnt get it to work

Giving up for the moment as i have more important things i need to do