Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30
    ROG Junior Member Array

Hi guys,

I came across this thread and am struggling with the very same problem for days and have tried everything from a driver version / update point of view and thanks to this thread I finally narrowed the problem down to windows fast startup.

Heres my setup

Maximus VIII Hero
    Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHZ
    KEF LS50 Wireless connected via USB
    MediaTek WiFi Dongle
    Windows 10 64 bit with latest updates

What I have been using to reproduce the crackling problem is

1) Setup an sftp server on my phone, which has a very large movie file on it
    2) Connect to that via for example chrome and start downloading the large file (to get the wifi to drive the usb a little more than normal)
    3) Start music in winamp / youtube or wherever
    4) Listen for the pops / cracks (its obvious once you drive the wifi / usb enough, when the problem is there or not)

I originally thought changing wifi dongle drivers was having an effect, but it seemed to be all stemming from the shutdown / start or restart behaviour I was following on each driver change. Sometimes a driver change did not require a restart and for some reason the audio issue would seem to go away. Upon a windows restart it would then return.

So for me, my conclusion is that the only combination of steps to make the problem go away is to basically not allow a cold boot, as thats the only time it happens for me. To prevent a cold boot here's what I had to do, which is quite the opposite to what some are suggesting in this thread.

1) Make sure Windows Fast Start-Up is enabled in power options, along with windows hibernation. (The bios fast boot setting doesn't matter).
    2) Start windows after a "Shut Down", not via "Restart". I can easily re-reproduce by "restarting", but by doing a shutdown / startup, its making use of the cached load of the various drivers, thus preventing a fully cold boot I guess.

Is this also the same for you guys? Who is at fault here, is this a windows issue or a driver / driver start order issue perhaps, that means it only happens on cold boot and not on warm / fast boot?

EDIT:
    On my system this is confirmed in latencymon. After a reboot, making use of these usb / wifi adapters sends the "Highest reported DPC routing execution time", into the thousands, and caused by the "Wdf 010000.sys" driver. After a shutdown / startup it never goes above 275.

EDIT 2:
    OK I tested other usage of my usb ports like direct cable connection to my phone and no stutters occur so its definitely related to my wifi dongle / drivers. I updated the drivers to versions 5.1.24.0 and also tried 5.1.25.0 and both had the issue.

Today I purchased a relatively cheap new wifi ac dongle and to my horror the same issues occurred BUT because they also defaulted to these windows 5.1.24.0~ drivers. After I installed the new dongles own / latest drivers from their website the issue immediately went away. Its funny as I can swap back the old dongle and hear the crackles / skips, and plug it out and in the new one and its perfect. Lataencymon never goes red with the new dongle + new wifi drivers.

So my conclusion is in my case at least, it can be very driver related and in the case of wifi dongles, it may require purchasing a new dongle that lets you get away from these microsoft drivers that for me seemed to be part of the issue at least. the 5.1.XX.0 drivers.
    Last edited by mark007777; 02-25-2019 at 03:22 PM.

New ROGer Array

<delete>
    Last edited by ChemicalBreath1; 04-06-2019 at 04:53 PM.

New ROGer Array

Since we know that audio sync/popping issue after waking PC from sleep and hibernate is caused due to conflict between OS, NVIDIA and Realtek drivers, I can recommend everyone this automated workaround solution (that at least works for me).

I wrote a PowerShell script that disables and enables NVIDIA device. I do even restart LightingService because of AURA-issues after reenabling GPU. You can actually schedule your script in Task Scheduler for Event ID: 1 (which is a trigger after sleep and hibernate). Works perfectly well for me and it's fully automated. I can easly use sleep mode again to save some power when afk. No more sound issues. Using up to date drivers as of today. I guess this issue won't be fixed anytime soon.

ROG Junior Member Array

Please, can some one tell me if this issues has a resolution its now 2019 and I'm having this issue so bad im going to scrap my maximus formula x which cost me in excess of 400 pound, I really do not want to do this. I have spent over a month trying to resolve it.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Carlyle2020 PC Specs
    Carlyle2020 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XI APEX
    Processorgaming9900ks@5.2/avx 0/ adaptive vcore / 1.35+0.020 offs/LLC5/ac ll 0.01/TVB off/power saving on
    Memory (part number)Gskill 4400 CL16 /65k r /65k w / 60k c
    Graphics Card #13080 ftw ultra /pads on backplate
    Sound CardXonar STXII mods:3xLME 49720NA
    MonitorLG 38GL950G / -HDR / +madVR
    Storage #12TB 970evo plus nvme
    Storage #21TB 960evo nvme +2x 1tb evo 860 hw-sata-raid
    CPU Coolerarctic freezer II 280
    CaseUnique Silverstone FT2 dampened up the wazoo V2.0
    Power SupplySeasonic TX-850
    Keyboard Cherry KC 1000 on top of a cherry MX1 for ergonomics :)
    Mouse MX Master 3
    Headset Sennheiser PC360 + Philips X2HR
    Headset/Speakers A250 / cause LG was stingy
    OS Win 10 64bit
    Network Routeryeah right...
    Accessory #1 Silverstone EBA01 headphone stand / black
    Accessory #2 radio Keyfob to turn on and off
    Accessory #3 4 bay fantec /10tb red/+scrap

You are on page 30 of this thread.
    Statistically i would have to suggest: no.
    The board is awesome. Simply buy a soundcard. I did and i am happy to have kept my motherboard.

ROG Junior Member Array

Crackling and popping, nothing I tried worked

Quote Originally Posted by Carlyle2020 View Post
    You are on page 30 of this thread.
    Statistically i would have to suggest: no.
    The board is awesome. Simply buy a sound card. I did and i am happy to have kept my motherboard.
    Will not suffice, I found my issue and guess what!! it wasn't the board after all, people having this issue who are not able to fix this problem and have Latency mon showing issues with-in the first couple of mins, make sure your power supply unit ins't as old as mine, I had A HIGH QUALITY POWER SUPPLY THAT COST 300 POUND (Thermaltake 1500 watt) but unfortunately it seems it has had its day.

I took my mobo to get RMA'd when the gentleman at the store told me it wasn't faulty I refused to believe him, I asked if he would kindly demonstrate to me that it was as he put "fine". GUESS WHAT, HE DID JUST THAT. Renewing my faith in the board I decided to change out the power supply as it was the oldest thing in my PC.

Got home, didn't change anything in my PC, plopped the supply in and not had a problem since.

I agree "The board is awesome" but guys be sure your power supply is fit for use before paying for sound cards etc etc.

ROG Enthusiast Array Kani malli PC Specs
    Kani malli PC Specs
    MotherboardROG STRIX H270F GAMING
    ProcessorIntel Core i5 7500
    Memory (part number)Gskill TridentZ RGB
    Graphics Card #1Msi 1050ti GamingX 4G
    MonitorAsus VP228H
    Storage #1WD Green 250gb SSD
    Storage #2WD Blue 1Tb HDD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Trubo Red
    CaseCooler Master
    Power SupplyCooler Master MasterWatt 650
    Keyboard A4tech KD-600
    Mouse A4tech N770fx
    Headset KZ-ATES
    Headset/Speakers SonicGear Quatro 2
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterTp Link TD-W8961ND

ROG Member Array

sick

Quote Originally Posted by sl111 View Post
    With that out of the way, since that was the path you insisted upon going down: I'm not seeing any solutions out of Asus, merely passing the buck to Realtek, who has passed the buck to Nvidia. Why can't we get a straight answer on what is being done on their end about this problem? No more tech voodoo anecdotal solutions of disabling X, Y, Z from users with no verification, I want to hear that Asus engineers are aware of this issue and have a timeline for rolling out a solution. No more corporate BS.
    agree 150%
    never buying asus again mate.. i'm sticking with MSI...my old h110m pro vh had an incredible crystaline sound.. no popping and very loud and clear... miss it
    but you know? these asus guys will ship a free mobo for any random jackass at youtube.. im really sick of being disrespected as a customer..

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30