cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Audio Popping

wambo
Level 7
Hi everyone, I've noticed that I get random audio popping while listening to an audio Stream in Chrome while I am browsing other tabs or have Chrome in the background.

I have forced Chrome not to throttle background tabs and have checked that I have the latest drivers. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

The audio sounds great if I have that tab in focus, but as soon as I start browsing another tab, I get intermittent pops. This happens with multiple speaker setups and with headphones on the front IO ports. I'm thinking it is a driver issue. I have all audio enhancements turned off. I see that there are some similar issues with the previous boards but I don't see a consolidated / agreed upon solution.
346 REPLIES 346

AndiDote
Level 7
wambo wrote:
Hi everyone, I've noticed that I get random audio popping while listening to an audio Stream in Chrome while I am browsing other tabs or have Chrome in the background.

I have forced Chrome not to throttle background tabs and have checked that I have the latest drivers. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

The audio sounds great if I have that tab in focus, but as soon as I start browsing another tab, I get intermittent pops. This happens with multiple speaker setups and with headphones on the front IO ports. I'm thinking it is a driver issue. I have all audio enhancements turned off. I see that there are some similar issues with the previous boards but I don't see a consolidated / agreed upon solution.

Hey. I noticed this the other day while playing a game. During cut scenes, there would be like a little quiet pop but loud enough to hear it. Happens to both speakers (not at the same time). It can also happen just by turning up the volume and the windows volume sound can pop.

I thought it's my speakers. Tried installing the drivers but no change.

So i guess it's not just you.

Yes, it is not very loud but it happens at all volume levels.

Do you hear this popping when you have another sound source playing in the background? As best as I can tell, I only hear the popping when playing audio from Chrome in the background of another task ( or while in another tab in Chrome).

I was encountering the same issue (was playing around with Sonic Studio III) and checked driver version bundled with the Maximus X Hero DVD (Version 6.0.1.8219)

So I thought of upgrading the drivers. Guess what, I was able to update it, but now, I can't run two separate speakers. Front audio port & Back audio ports are playing the same thing and are detected as one and the same device. New Realtek Driver from ASUS Support page (Version 6.0.1.8261) broke the thing even more. Upside is popping sounds are all gone. Downside is, I get simultaneous streams and am now forced to plug in my speaker set to my ROG Swift monitor, which has the great downside of not being customizable at all.

I checked settings, and it seems that the audio input jacks aren't separated any longer:

And I was having fun with Sonic Studio III 😞

Anyways, anyone able to add FireFox to Sonic Studio? It doesn't show up for me.

I'm getting the same thing its driving me crazy,

It happens out of the motherboard audio jack ,
It also happens on the front panel hd out to the front of the pc case.
It happens on both headphones and speakers out of any port.

Sometimes it a constant pop/crackle, other times it's every few seconds.

A reboot can help sometimes if I'm getting popping a reboot can make the popping happen much less often but still occurs from time to time , but will come back in after a cold boot.

A fresh install of the drivers seems to work for that one time use, next boot up the pop/crackle will be back.

I get this as well. I have the z370-F. It happens when I restart my computer and again when I load my first program that uses sound such as Discord or FireFox.

I am using a MODI 2 Uber with an Asgard 2 via USB cable. No audio drivers are installed.

Well, after updating the Realtek Audio Drivers, no more popping sound; but I got an email from ASUS Rep saying to bring the board in for the missing separation for front & rear green 3,5mm jacks. Let's see!

Well after playing today, sound issues were back. Not even that but it seems that Sonic Studio's device routing was messing with all applications I was running and there was very high CPU utilization noticed on the audio controller (probably having a hard time routing different audio feeds to different apps simultaneously)

I don't think that a trip to the service center would fix this. Seems like a driver issue to me. Would there be any fix released? If it is legitimately solveable by SC's then that basically means that the QC on the audio chip is that bad considering how many people are complaining. To think that ASUS has highlighted it as "best gaming audio" 😞

SherardG wrote:
Well after playing today, sound issues were back. Not even that but it seems that Sonic Studio's device routing was messing with all applications I was running and there was very high CPU utilization noticed on the audio controller (probably having a hard time routing different audio feeds to different apps simultaneously)

I don't think that a trip to the service center would fix this. Seems like a driver issue to me. Would there be any fix released? If it is legitimately solveable by SC's then that basically means that the QC on the audio chip is that bad considering how many people are complaining. To think that ASUS has highlighted it as "best gaming audio" 😞

Yea same with me a fresh install of the audio drivers wheather its from the cd or from asus or the latest drivers from realtek the sound will go away for that one time install, then it will be back next time the I boot the system from a full system shutdown.

Raja
Level 13
There's another thread on this where the person says they found a conflict with msi afterburner. You may want to see if there's something on your system causing similar conflict.