Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RynxDax View Post
    I seem to be having similar issues to what others have already described in this thread.

Here are my system specs:

https://i.imgur.com/CDsT3uQ.png - I am on the 0802 BIOS

1) The audio and video of YouTube videos gets desynced within 2 minutes of when I start playing them. I believe this happens gradually and it only becomes noticeable after ~2 minutes or so. If I pause and quickly resume the video, the issue continues, however if I pause for a good 2-3 minutes, when I resume, the audio is back in sync and it desyncs 2 minutes later. I've encountered this problem with every single HTML5 video played in Chrome - I tried various streaming websites as well as Plex. I haven't tested this with any other browser, but I have no reason to believe it's restricted to Chrome.

I can reproduce this 100% of the time after a hibernate and subsequent wake up. It never happens after a full shutdown/power on.

2) Audio popping/crackling can he heard somewhat randomly. The noise is very short and the audio may work fine for over 30 minutes before it happens again. At times, it happens multiple times over only a few minutes. I think it happens more often after a hibernate/wake up, but it definitely happens some of the time after a fresh reboot cycle. I can't reproduce this intentionally.

It does not only happen at the start/end of playback (in fact, I don't think starting/pausing/stopping a song has any effect whatsoever on the problem), it can very well happen in the middle of a song played with VLC/Spotify.

As far as I've noticed, it never happened during a game. It may be that I just haven't noticed though.

It so happens that I changed my speaker set recently and the popping is happening with the new one as well as the old one. I had used my old speakers for more than 4 years and this is the first time I'm encountering any problems.

I let LatencyMon run for a few hours after a hibernate/wake up and this is what I got (note that it is the same run, I just took the screenshots at various times):
    https://i.imgur.com/9rEBOgw.png - I kept an eye on it for the first 5 minutes or so and it seemed to be fine, yet a few minutes later, I got that warning message
    https://i.imgur.com/W8Ch7u5.png
    https://i.imgur.com/mrWIdVz.png

While LatencyMon was running, I left a YouTube video playing in the background. The audio got noticeably out of sync after ~2 minutes, yet LatencyMon was still fine at that time.
    Can you test another browser, though? And also try disabling Hardware acel in Chrome. Need to eliminate some of the red herrings here, as some of the reports aren't necessarily the same problem.

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by RynxDax View Post
    I seem to be having similar issues to what others have already described in this thread.

Here are my system specs:

https://i.imgur.com/CDsT3uQ.png - I am on the 0802 BIOS

I let LatencyMon run for a few hours after a hibernate/wake up and this is what I got (note that it is the same run, I just took the screenshots at various times):
    https://i.imgur.com/9rEBOgw.png - I kept an eye on it for the first 5 minutes or so and it seemed to be fine, yet a few minutes later, I got that warning message
    https://i.imgur.com/W8Ch7u5.png
    https://i.imgur.com/mrWIdVz.png

While LatencyMon was running, I left a YouTube video playing in the background. The audio got noticeably out of sync after ~2 minutes, yet LatencyMon was still fine at that time.
    seems like its very tied to directx on yours, do you have gpuz clock monitoring or gputweak clock monitoring to run and see if the pops always happen when the vga changes clocks/ pstates?

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

And it might be worth seeing if one of you can share an os image. Out of interest, how many of you are using front panel audio?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    And it might be worth seeing if one of you can share an os image. Out of interest, how many of you are using front panel audio?
    I'm using back panel audio exclusively.
    Headset USB
    Speakers Digital
    TV (as second monitor) HDMI through gfx card

Recently popping sound is less then before (although still there), but now I'm having issues that audio through HDMI stops working after a few minutes when playing internet videos.

Seems the issue is between the Nvidia driver and the os. The workaround for now is to disable and then re-enable the Nvidia driver in device manager. The update will have to come from Nvidia or Microsoft. Not sure which, yet.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array SherardG PC Specs
    SherardG PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS ROG G752 & ASUS ROG G55VW
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-8700K
    Memory (part number)32 GB [G.Skill TZRGB] F4-3200C32Q-8GTZR x 4
    Graphics Card #1ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    MonitorASUS ROG PG248Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 PRO MZ-V6P512 (512 GB)
    Storage #2WD2003FZEX
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CaseNZXT Noctis 450 ROG
    Power SupplySeasonic PRIME 80+ Ti 750 SSR-750TD
    Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
    Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
    Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2 Black
    Mouse Pad Logitech G440
    OS Windows 10 10.0.16299
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC88U

Seems the issue is between the Nvidia driver and the os. The workaround for now is to disable and then re-enable the Nvidia driver in device manager. The update will have to come from Nvidia or Microsoft. Not sure which, yet.
    Makes sense since mine stopped popping (only comes back when my pc enters sleep/hibernate, and I have to do a fresh restart) after disabling all audio controllers except for what I use...

Right now I am also exclusively using the front panel for audio.

Yes, it only manifests after resuming from sleep or hibernate, and it makes no difference if you're using the front or rear output, or whether using the MS native or Realtek driver. In any case, you can work around it without having to reboot (see above).

There may be several causes for that crackling/popping issue, and the conflict between Nvidia driver and Windows 10 that seems to explain the trouble when the PC is resumed may be only a part of the problem. As I said in a previous post, I kept a W7 partition on one of the storage support, with 385.69 Nvidia driver, and I cannot see any difference between booting on W7 or W10 as far as popping is concerned. The frequency and the strenght of the random or systematic crackling is the same. The parasitic noise happens indifferently when the CPU, the GPU or the disks are under load or not. On my previous motherboard, I knew that high hard drive activity might induce crackling, but with this Asus one, I cannot establish any correlation of that kind.

I noticed that background or low volume sounds were too much amplified compared to the main part (for example the wind blowing behind speaking characters, or applauses during a concert), what caused distorsion and metallic tone (like with a low quality car radio). Poor quality tracks suffer a lot from the amplification of their imperfections. More generally, the audio volume level is far higher, even with amplification disabled in Realtek audio manager, than from other devices (previous motherboard, TV, smartphone...), as I have to lower the volume on the speakers to find the same sound power again.

Would it be possible to disable the onboard amplification, at least on the rear panel jack, in order to only keep the Realtek chip acting ? Could the Asus depop circuit be also responsible ? I searched in registry entries around audio devices but did not found any relevant key.

I read on this forum that an external USB DAC would get rid of the crackling (PCIE DAC are reported to be exposed to the same popping issue), but I would like to be sure before investing in such a device (and have no idea of what price is required to have audio quality on par with a built-in solution).

Looking for an external DAC, I had two other ideas: using a SPDIF->RCA adapter on the optical plug of the motherboard, or using a HDMI->RCA extractor on the video card. The first device can be found for about 20 € (even lesser); as for the second one, it seems to only exist with video conversion associated and is more costly.

Did someone, please, test the optical SPDIF output of the Asus motherboard to check if audio popping was also present or not ? As it should take audio before the numeric->analogic conversion circuit, it may be spared ? It would be an economic and simple solution if it worked. I don't have any amplifier with an optical input, so I cannot experiment by myself.

Thanks in advance for any answer.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array no1yak PC Specs
    no1yak PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero X I Wi-Fi/ Hero IX
    Processori9 9900KF/ i7 7700K both @ 4.7Ghz
    Memory (part number)Gskill F4-3200C16D / Corsair 2400 LPX
    Graphics Card #1Evga GTX 1070 SC ACX3 / Evga 1060 SC
    Sound CardEssence One DAC Muses edition
    MonitorEizo CG275W
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe / 950 Pro
    Storage #2Samsung EVO 860 M.2 + 850 Pro 1TB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NHu-14S on both boards
    CaseCorsair 500D/ Corsair 450D
    Power SupplyEvga 650 P2
    Keyboard Cherry MX6
    Mouse Corsair M65
    Headset/Speakers Corsair SP2500 + Senn HD650 + HD 600
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 1909

Quote Originally Posted by AntonioL View Post
    Looking for an external DAC, I had two other ideas: using a SPDIF->RCA adapter on the optical plug of the motherboard, or using a HDMI->RCA extractor on the video card. The first device can be found for about 20 € (even lesser); as for the second one, it seems to only exist with video conversion associated and is more costly.

Did someone, please, test the optical SPDIF output of the Asus motherboard to check if audio popping was also present or not ? As it should take audio before the numeric->analogic conversion circuit, it may be spared ? It would be an economic and simple solution if it worked. I don't have any amplifier with an optical input, so I cannot experiment by myself.

Thanks in advance for any answer.
    I use an Asus Essence One DAC with optical SPdif and have no problems with popping or distortion. I have no Realtek drivers installed. Also as this DAC has USB i can disable the onboard sound and still everything works just fine. I use Foobar for music via Asus ASIO with USB and switch to SPDIF for everything else.
    Last edited by no1yak; 12-05-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast