cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6E GPU Post does not show GPU1 (Closest to CPU)

Skunkfoo
Level 7
I'm having a very weird issue. In the Bios when I go to GPU Post, the Mobo is only showing GPU2 and reports nothing installed in GPU1 slot.

The strange thing is that I'm able to use the computer in SLI. Everywhere else reports 2 GPUs and my benchmarks back up the claim that 2 GPUs are installed and working.

Not sure if it is related but in Aida64 the GPUs appear swapped and GPU1 reports are GPU2 and vice versa.
11 REPLIES 11

Skunkfoo
Level 7
BIOS

HWInfro

ExcessiveGBH
Level 8
Skunkfoo wrote:
I'm having a very weird issue. In the Bios when I go to GPU Post, the Mobo is only showing GPU2 and reports nothing installed in GPU1 slot.

The strange thing is that I'm able to use the computer in SLI. Everywhere else reports 2 GPUs and my benchmarks back up the claim that 2 GPUs are installed and working.

Not sure if it is related but in Aida64 the GPUs appear swapped and GPU1 reports are GPU2 and vice versa.

Don't worry about the GPU's being arse about in NVCP or MSI A/B etc. Everyone is seeing this for SLI on these M/B.

Your other issue is not related to the above but have you tried default settings, clearing CMOS or re-flash BIOS?
System specs
Win 11 Pro 21H2
Rampage VI Extreme
BIOS 3801
I9 10920 @5.0GHz all cores
EK-KIT G360 (CPU only)
Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe 1TB
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PLUS NVMe 2TB
Kingston Fury Renegade 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD with Heatsink
1 Samsung SSD 4TB EVO
1 X Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB
2 x 10TB drives
1 x 2TB drive
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24GB @3015 MHz
32GB G Skill Trident Z 3466MHz 15-17-17-37
Corsair AX1200W PSU
Sound Denon AVC-A1
LGC1 77

ExcessiveGBH wrote:
Don't worry about the GPU's being arse about in NVCP or MSI A/B etc. Everyone is seeing this for SLI on these M/B.

Your other issue is not related to the above but have you tried default settings, clearing CMOS or re-flash BIOS?

I have tried default settings and since the original post I flashed to BIOS 1004 (up from 0802). Still have the issue where first GPU is not posting in BIOS.

I'm curious to see if the posting issue will get resolved when I take apart my cooling loops and re-seat the GPUs.

Skunkfoo wrote:
I have tried default settings and since the original post I flashed to BIOS 1004 (up from 0802). Still have the issue where first GPU is not posting in BIOS.

I'm curious to see if the posting issue will get resolved when I take apart my cooling loops and re-seat the GPUs.

Same here! i can't get into the bios with GPU1 and even i can't get into the bios via Display Cable! ( just with HDMI i can)
Intel Core i9 7980xe
ASUS RAMPAGE Vi Extreme + EKWB R6E MonoBlock Plexi
G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 128GB + EKWB Monarch
MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X SLI | Phanteks RGB Waterblock
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB OS & Programs
Seagate SkyHawk 8TB x 2 Backup & Storage + Intel optane Memory 32gb
MasterWatt Maker 1200 MIJ
Corsair Obsidian 900d Custom

I have a somewhat similar issue.

In this case my R6E motherboard reports both gpu's detected yet when the system boots, it attempts to POST on GPU2, leaving my screen attached to GPU1 in the dark until windows login screen. Very frustrating when it comes to tinkering in and out of bios with repeated power cycling. SLI performance seems unaffected yet NVCP reports my monitor being attached to my second card.

Kinda wish I don't have to keep flipping the PCI-E dips or plug in an HDMI cable on the second card and switch display input on my monitor everytime I want to go to the BIOS.

Dashwood wrote:
I have a somewhat similar issue.

In this case my R6E motherboard reports both gpu's detected yet when the system boots, it attempts to POST on GPU2, leaving my screen attached to GPU1 in the dark until windows login screen. Very frustrating when it comes to tinkering in and out of bios with repeated power cycling. SLI performance seems unaffected yet NVCP reports my monitor being attached to my second card.

Kinda wish I don't have to keep flipping the PCI-E dips or plug in an HDMI cable on the second card and switch display input on my monitor everytime I want to go to the BIOS.

Have you tried just having one card installed in PCi 1 and if it still doesn't post try the other card. Just a process of elimination.
System specs
Win 11 Pro 21H2
Rampage VI Extreme
BIOS 3801
EK-KIT G360 (CPU only)
1 Samsung SSD 4TB EVO
2 x 10TB drives
1 x 2TB drive
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24GB @3015 MHz
32GB G Skill Trident Z 3466MHz 15-17-17-37
Corsair AX1200W PSU
Sound Denon AVC-A1
LGC1 77

ExcessiveGBH wrote:
Have you tried just having one card installed in PCi 1 and if it still doesn't post try the other card. Just a process of elimination.

i've tried
But still can't get into the bios via display port no matter one or two cards installed
Intel Core i9 7980xe
ASUS RAMPAGE Vi Extreme + EKWB R6E MonoBlock Plexi
G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 128GB + EKWB Monarch
MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X SLI | Phanteks RGB Waterblock
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB OS & Programs
Seagate SkyHawk 8TB x 2 Backup & Storage + Intel optane Memory 32gb
MasterWatt Maker 1200 MIJ
Corsair Obsidian 900d Custom

ExcessiveGBH wrote:

GPU1 by itself posts normally.

Dashwood wrote:
GPU1 by itself posts normally.

Ok then...so now you have proved that MB & single video card are working correctly.
Did you try the other card as a single also?
Have you plugged in all the power cables for the mother board? There’s one down the bottom EZ_Plug, page 1.23
I see you’re using Win 10 but what version? (Insider builds can have issues)
Check the PCi contacts on the second card.
Install the second card in PCi slot 3 with the HB SLI bridge. Then retry.
Sometimes just reseating can fix issues.
Other things to try. (it’s a pain in the arse)
Swap cards around, just take note of which power connectors you are using from the PSU and also swap them around to just to eliminate voltage issue from the PSU.
Try another PCi slot, will require different size SLi bridge or use two of those flexible ribbons SLi straps (can use one strap also but want to keep continuity in your set up) Just to eliminate PCi 3 slot.
Try just one SLi strap instead of the HB bridge.
Check BIOS for each video card.
Have you access to a friend’s PC to try your cards in theirs and vice versa.
System specs
Win 11 Pro 21H2
Rampage VI Extreme
BIOS 3801
EK-KIT G360 (CPU only)
1 Samsung SSD 4TB EVO
2 x 10TB drives