cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair vi hero wi-fi ac: Usb bios flashback fix

Stellarspace
Level 7
EZ Update updated my BIOS to 1501 instead of the latest version, which is 1701. It bricked the motherboard as I was getting the 0d error code. I tried everything and nothing worked, so I went to sleep. The next day, I attempt to flash the BIOS using USB BIOS Flashback, but all I got was a flash three or four times and then a solid blue light, which indicates that it didn't work. I was able to boot into BIOS again with version 1501 installed. I immediately formatted a USB Drive to FAT32 (Master Boot Record) and put BIOS 1701 on it. I put it into the motherboard and successfully updated the BIOS to 1701. I have no issues, except I am unable to overclock my CPU to 4.0 GHz, but that's probably because I am doing something wrong. I was able to change my RAM frequency to 3200 MHz and booted successfully. It turns out that when you rename the BIOS file for the Wi-FI AC model, it has to be named "C6HWIFI.CAP" and not "C6H.CAP". I thought I would have to return the motherboard to Amazon, but now I don't. ASUS should indicate that the first thing you should do after installing the Crosshair VI Hero Wi-fi AC or Crosshair VI Hero is put the latest BIOS on a USB drive formatted to FAT32, boot into the BIOS and flashing the BIOS with EZ Flash 3 via USB. BIOS version 1501 is awful. ASUS should remove it from the support page. EZ Update should be updating the BIOS to the latest version, not 1501. I don't remember what BIOS version I had previously. The manual that came with my motherboard does not indicate that you have to rename the BIOS file to "C6HWIFI.CAP". I don't know why it mentions ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 in the manual either as the motherboard doesn't seem to support that feature, but it supports USB BIOS Flashback. USB BIOS Flashback doesn't require that the computer be turned on and it doesn't require RAM or a Processor installed. The support page of the motherboard should indicate how to use USB BIOS Flashback for the specified motherboard.

1. Download the latest BIOS from ASUS
2. Extract the BIOS from the ZIP
3. Format a USB Drive to FAT32 with a partition scheme of Master Boot Record
4. Move the file, "CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-1701.CAP" or "ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-WIFI-AC-ASUS-1701.CAP" to the USB Drive
5. Rename the CAP file to "C6H.CAP or C6HWIFI.CAP" respectively
6. Turn off the computer
7. Insert the USB Drive into the USB BIOS Flashback port
8. Press and hold the USB BIOS Flashback button for 3 seconds
If it is successful, the light will continuously blink, then turn off.
If it not successful, the light will blink 3 or 4 times and stay on.
9. Remove the USB Drive once the light is off
10. Turn on your computer and boot into BIOS via F2 or Delete key to verify that the BIOS has been updated to the latest version
0 REPLIES 0