cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus hero x z370 error code 96

Chimppen
Level 7
Hello,

I just bought my new motherboard Asus maximus hero x z370 to use with my new cpu i7 8700k. Everything worked fine at first but now suddenly i started getting the q-code 96, which means when reading in the manual the following "PCI Bus Assign Resources". Can someone please help me what whit what to do to fix it. I tried switching to the second pci-e slot and with that slot it seems to be working just fine. No q-code 96 at all. Does that meen that there is something wrong with my first pci-e slot?? I do want both of the pci-e slots to be working for future expandability.

Thankfull for answers!
14 REPLIES 14

Raja
Level 13
Might be worth listing what you've got plugged into the board, the uefi version, and whether the system is overclocked or not.

Hi Raja@ASUS & Chimppen,

I have exactly the same issue with my Maximus X Hero WiFi AC motherboard!

Some extra findings:
- I noticed the "Error 96" happens only after a cold boot
- the only way for me to get to post is to unplug my screens from my graphic card (otherwise I get the "error 96"). I have to let the error pass then I plug the screens and it works... Again, it doesn't boot with only one screen, I have to unplugged both (dual screen setup here)
- activating / deactivating the Intel GPU in the bios doesn't have any impact
- when I have the error 96 showing up, the little light on the left next to it is white

My config:
- CPU: 8700k @ 5GHz (stable after a 24 hours with Prim95 stress test)
- Motherboard: Maximus X Hero WiFi AC - Bios 505
- RAM: G Skill B-Die (4x8 32 Gb) F4-3200C14-8GTZR
- VGA: EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 (Slot #1)
- SSD: 960 EVO 1Tb in the first slot (under the CPU)
- PSU: EVGA 850 G2

Everything else seems to work on the MB. If you need some extra info or test from my part, I can help.

Thanks!

Hi Raja@ASUS,

My 2 screens are using DP cable (144hz / GSync)

So here is what I have done:

• Cleared the cmos
  • Deactivated MCE
  • Set the AI overclocking to manual (otherwise there is no BCLK setting)
  • Set the BCLK to 100

The result is the same, error 96.

Something I noticed while playing with the DP cables: I actually don't need to plug on of the cable into the iGPU. What I have to do is unplug both cables and the replug them. Then it boots, otherwise it is a NO GO.

Last detail, when I unplug the cable, the led on the card turn off... Might be important detail...

BINGO!

I tried with on 1 HDMI cable and the issue is gone...

How can I use my card with DP cables? What are the next steps?

PS: the card was working perfectly in my previous build, with 2 DP cables

Hi Raja@ASUS,

As a heads up, I updated the bios to 802 and the error 96 is still present.

I don't want to sound impatient, but I would like to know from your end if this problem could be solved by a Motherboard bios update or should I contact the VGA manufacturer? Not being able to cold boot without unplugging all my vga cables is not really user friendly...

Thanks!

Larenzu13 wrote:
BINGO!

I tried with on 1 HDMI cable and the issue is gone...

How can I use my card with DP cables? What are the next steps?

PS: the card was working perfectly in my previous build, with 2 DP cables

Did you purchase those cables separately or were they supplied with the monitor?

I bought the cable separately... I never had this problem with my previous Motherboard . I just did a motherboard / CPU upgrade (z170 to z370). If the cable were the cause of the issue, I should have had it with the previous motherboard, correct?

For extra info, the two screens are :
- BenQ XL2430T
- BenQ XL2420G (G-Sync)

Menthol
Level 14
Does it do this when bios is set to F5 defaults or after clearing cmos?
Memory settings XMP? manual, vccio, vcssa volts?
I think something is just not quite stable, code 96 is the code when the motherboard speaker beeps and the system posts in OS.

I have almost identical system
Hero Wifi, bios 0505
8700K @ 5.0, Gskill 32GB 4X8 3600CL16, 1080, 1T 960 Pro, AX1200 psu, Sound Blaster Ae5, Intel 750 pcie
Which LED is lite, VGA?

I was having an issue that I would have no video when resume from sleep, my monitors would stay dark 4K X 2, if I turned monitors off and back on video resumed as normal, I didn't do anything about it because it was to easy to turn monitor off and on again, now this part sounds stupid but I ran a driver update program that installed Intel Rapid Storage Drivers and my video resumes when I wake the PC from sleep, doesn't make sense to me but what do you do

Hi Menthol,

Thanks for answering quickly.

Does it do this when bios is set to F5 defaults or after clearing cmos?
Memory settings XMP? manual, vccio, vcssa volts?
I think something is just not quite stable, code 96 is the code when the motherboard speaker beeps and the system posts in OS

I just did the test. The MB goes into error 96 even after clearing CMOS.... Same symptoms: stuck at boot, no video. I have to unplug all my cable from the VGA card and plug one into the MB video output (iGPU). What is interesting is that, if I let one cable in the VFA card, the error comes up again...

Which LED is lite, VGA?

Yes, it is the VGA one, it is white.

I was having an issue that I would have no video when resume from sleep, my monitors would stay dark 4K X 2, if I turned monitors off and back on video resumed as normal, I didn't do anything about it because it was to easy to turn monitor off and on again, now this part sounds stupid but I ran a driver update program that installed Intel Rapid Storage Drivers and my video resumes when I wake the PC from sleep, doesn't make sense to me but what do you do

Accident happens! On my end, I have disabled the sleeping / hibernating feature on my PC (both SW/HW). I am sure it doesn't come from this.

For extra visibility, here are the settings of my bios:
XMP: ON @ 3200
MCE: OFF
SVID: Best Case Scenario
AVX: 2
CPU: All Cores
Xtrem Tweaking: OFF
CPU SVID: Enabled
CPU LLC: 6
IA AC: 0.01
IA DC: 0.01
CPU Core/Cache limit Max: 255.5
CPU Volt: 1.365
DRAM Volt: 1.35
VCCIO: 1.2
SA: 1.2125 (was at 1.25 before but still rock stable)
C STATE OFF
SpeedShift ON

I hope we will find a solution! If you need me to test some alpha/beta bios for solving this problem, I am IN.

Thanks