cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX501 high pitch fan whine

blitzhax
Level 7
I have a VERY annoying issue with my laptop. The right side (side with kensington lock) fan whines at low rpms, so during desktop use and non intensive games, it's all I can hear.
At high RPMs in intensive games the whine is drowned out by regular fan wind noise. The left fan is operating fine at all RPMs, no high pitch sounds at all.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzHvrJJKi1E (turn it up, whooshing sound is breathing).

I know 100% it's the right fan doing this. If i stop the right fan using 'notebook fancontrol' program, the whine goes away instantly.

I also think the dc brushless motor itself is defective and is producing the whine because it sounds exactly like coil whine and I think oiling the bearing wouldn't really fix it.

The sound is driving me mad, it can be heard from 3 meters away or more in a quiet room. So it's all I hear when using the computer, extremely disappointing coming from such an expensive laptop.

Anyone else have the same problem with one of their fans?
6 REPLIES 6

HAMSTERS
Level 7
No, it is not defective. It is the design or I should call it flaw. I tested three units, all of them have this issue.

I recently tested a Acer predator Triton 700. Its fans, both fans, also produce high pitch noise. The problem is much much worse than GX501.

HAMSTERS wrote:
No, it is not defective. It is the design or I should call it flaw. I tested three units, all of them have this issue.

I recently tested a Acer predator Triton 700. Its fans, both fans, also produce high pitch noise. The problem is much much worse than GX501.

Oh, thought it was just me, that's really disappointing. Doesn't make sense to me either because the left/gpu fan is just fine, no high pitch whine at idle.

If there's no methods it fix it I'm going to end up selling off the laptop, which is a shame because the actual cpu/gpu don't have any high pitch coil whine, just a low frequency buzz under load, which is perfectly acceptable. It's just one fan at idle ruining the experience.

JustinThyme wrote:
Maybe my hearing loss is effecting my perception but I put on my Sennheiser HD 700 cans and cranked the volume and all I could hear in the video was air moving. If you had a failed bearing you would know it and likely your neighbors too as its like scraping your fingers on a chalk board.

Thing is these machines are packing more and more power in smaller and smaller packaging. Something has to take a hit and with these its the fan noise.

Hearing range might be it, because it was a very high frequency whine. I can hear it in the video even from the crappy laptop speakers, let alone my akg headphones.

Although I wouldn't call the sound fan noise, it's not wind noise, it produces a high pitch whine starting from 1 rpm, just instantly comes on when I turn the fan on using notebookfancontrol.

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
blitzhax wrote:
Oh, thought it was just me, that's really disappointing. Doesn't make sense to me either because the left/gpu fan is just fine, no high pitch whine at idle.

If there's no methods it fix it I'm going to end up selling off the laptop, which is a shame because the actual cpu/gpu don't have any high pitch coil whine, just a low frequency buzz under load, which is perfectly acceptable. It's just one fan at idle ruining the experience.

Hearing range might be it, because it was a very high frequency whine. I can hear it in the video even from the crappy laptop speakers, let alone my akg headphones.

Although I wouldn't call the sound fan noise, it's not wind noise, it produces a high pitch whine starting from 1 rpm, just instantly comes on when I turn the fan on using notebookfancontrol.

According to your information, we might suggest you to take your product to our local service center for comprehensive inspection and help you to fix the problem. Sorry for the trouble.

The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/

Also you can contact the local service center for help. The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/CallUs#

JustinThyme
Level 13
Maybe my hearing loss is effecting my perception but I put on my Sennheiser HD 700 cans and cranked the volume and all I could hear in the video was air moving. If you had a failed bearing you would know it and likely your neighbors too as its like scraping your fingers on a chalk board.

Thing is these machines are packing more and more power in smaller and smaller packaging. Something has to take a hit and with these its the fan noise.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

mhe
Level 7
Could you please provide a service center for Austria? Smaller countries than it have one, so Austria should have one as well.

Hohenheim
Level 7
i have the same issue. was this solve?