CaseAntec Twelve Hundred V3
    Power SupplyEnermax Modu82+
    Keyboard Thermaltake POSEIDON Z RGB
    Mouse Zowie EC1-A
    Headset VXI Tria P
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK Heavy Gaming
    Headset/Speakers Bose Companion 2 Series II
    OS Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk AC1900 (C7000)
    Accessory #1 Samsung Writemaster DVD SH-S203
    Accessory #2 Xbox Controller + Cable for Windows
    Accessory #3 Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Precision Flightstick

After a great deal of effort, I have gotten*Windows 7 to install on my Asus Maximus VIII Ranger motherboard-based system in pure UEFI mode, and to run with CSM mode switched off.

I found that the key is to make sure that you approach the install, from beginning to end, as a UEFI install. This means that every aspect of your install method must conform to the requirements of UEFI. Another huge step was learning that, ironically, having a UEFI-booting*Windows 7 means that a majority of the install process will be done with the BIOS set to CSM compatibility mode. The final step of shutting CSM off, for good, will not be done until after the install is complete.

There are many tricky complications, in the process. For example, even though the Windows 7 installation procedure will format the target install drive in the proper GPT scheme, you must also have already pre-formatted the target drive as a GPT drive. The*Windows 7 installer will break this format, and re-format the drive, so that step, being redundant, may seem unnecessary. Yet it is not, for I've found that if the target drive had been MBR, going into the process, that will prevent the successful installation of a functioning UEFI-boot Windows 7.

If my success had not been the result of a long slog of trial-and-error, with multiple missteps, then I could delineate it here, or elsewhere, as a guide. But my recollection of my journey is not clear enough to provide a reliable account. There are guides available online, for the general task of installing Windows 7 as UEFI. The complications arise from the specific manner in which the CSM settings of an individual model of motherboard's BIOS need to be worked, to eventually arrive at the desired goal; minor omissions in the otherwise-useful guides (such as my example, regarding the need for a GPT pre-format of the target drive) also render their instructions imperfect. Approach such a guide as if it contains 90% of what you need to do, while you remain aware that the idiosyncrasies of your own hardware combination will necessitate some minor experimentation (with the accompanying frustrating failures and errors which result from failed experiments), on your part.*

[Please pardon the random asterisks which appear in this text. They are artifacts of the forum software's inability to properly apply italics, which, of course, are the sole correct form for the titles of works executed in many media, not the least of which are the titles of software, such as (and here we go, again)*Windows 7. I have tried other ways to compensate for this software bug (you may have noticed that, in an earlier post in this thread, I tried to shade the titles of software in a slightly different tone of color; unfortunately this was ineffective, and merely compounded a second error on top of the one which it had been my intent to rectify), but I have yet to find a satisfactory alternative. In the meantime, the typography of this forum is seriously flawed, if not quite crippled.]
    Last edited by catsmoke; 02-04-2018 at 05:25 AM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array SlackROG PC Specs
    SlackROG PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Hero
    Processori7-6700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2133 C13
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1060 06G-P4-6262-KR
    Sound CardMotherboard - Onboard
    MonitorMSI Optix G24C
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Pro SSD 128GB
    Storage #2Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U14S
    CaseFractal Design Meshify
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3
    Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS Pro
    Mouse Kingston HyperX Pulsefire
    Mouse Pad Kingston HyperX
    OS Slackware 14.2 x64 & Windows 10 x64

@catsmoke,

I installed Win7, disk partitioned GPT, and it never changed to MBR, I installed it CSM compatibility mode enabled, then I ran the cmds I listed on this post, and then disabled CSM...

As for my understanding this is as EFI as it gets in Windows 7, and that it's not a Pure 100% EFI mode, since it had to be installed in the CSM compatibility mode, at least this is what others say, so I'm not really sure.

Anyhow as I said, my partition is GPT, CSM is disabled, it boots, it looks pretty EFI around here! LOL...

Cheers

New ROGer Array

Hi everyone!

I'm having a similar issue, installing Windows 7 on a UEFI modern machine.

Now, according to the 2nd page post, I can install WIndows 7 with CSM enabled and then do all the updates and install all the drivers, then remove the VGA drivers and boot without CSM.

My question is: can I install other drivers or do newer updates AFTER removing VGA drivers? I'd like to install WIndows 7 on this test machine because it's more compatible with older hardware I sometimes use, but I obviously can't connect every device I use before removing VGA drivers just to install drivers.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5