Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Attached a screenshot of that tool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cpuzinfo.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	68932

There currently ARE no laptop Ryzen cores [1] - they just got announced but no laptop with those made it to market yet afaik. I haven't seen any in the wild/shippable.

What Asus did here for this gaming thing is basically fitting a desktop into this monster shell. It's not exactly easy to lug around, turns far too hot but is supposedly powerful.

Checking AMD's site there are only two results for 'Ryzen 7 1700' [2]. Comparing both shows little differences and both(!) support virtualization. As they should..

I really doubt that AMD is to blame here and I'm unfortunately convinced that Asus messed it up big time :-/

1: http://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-processors-laptop
    2: http://products.amd.com/en-us/compar...&prod5=&type5=

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

Quote Originally Posted by darklajid View Post
    What Asus did here for this gaming thing is basically fitting a desktop into this monster shell. It's not exactly easy to lug around, turns far too hot but is supposedly powerful.
    I really doubt that AMD is to blame here and I'm unfortunately convinced that Asus messed it up big time :-/
    It actually looks like a good implementation. I'm impressed by the cooler design, it looks robust enough for a (socketable) ~65W CPU and (soldered) ~185W GPU. It can run somewhat hot but surprisingly not very loud (compared to other laptops). And you could conceivably upgrade the CPU to a R7-1700 Pro, though that RX580 GPU is never going to be as good as a GTX1070.

Though the battery does seem kinda smallish for sustained peak performance. It's fairly thick and heavy for a 17" laptop - more of a pain to haul around but I happen to actually prefer solid and sturdy machines which don't feel flimsy or move around while in use. I didn't like the keyboard on the one I handled, I despise crowdy "cheap feeling" chiclets and membranes, but that's also a preference thing, not everyone types on clear Clears and Whites, lol.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    It actually looks like a good implementation. I'm impressed by the cooler design, it looks robust enough for a (socketable) ~65W CPU and (soldered) ~185W GPU. It can run somewhat hot but surprisingly not very loud (compared to other laptops). And you could conceivably upgrade the CPU to a R7-1700 Pro, though that RX580 GPU is never going to be as good as a GTX1070.
    Not for my purpose and unfortunately there's no way to find out that this CPU is crippled w/o buying this thing as far as I can tell. That's what this thread is about anyway, right? :-(

Though the battery does seem kinda smallish for sustained peak performance. It's fairly thick and heavy for a 17" laptop - more of a pain to haul around but I happen to actually prefer solid and sturdy machines which don't feel flimsy or move around while in use. I didn't like the keyboard on the one I handled, I despise crowdy "cheap feeling" chiclets and membranes, but that's also a preference thing, not everyone types on clear Clears and Whites, lol.
    The built seems fine. The keyboard is a POS (key quality is bad, the ROG key is completely meaning- and useless, sitting where a numlock should be, the power button is randomly part of the normal keyrow and is waiting to be pressed by accident and the keyboard has no 'End' key for reasons that I don't understand. You add a full keyboard incl. numpad, but .. no end key??). But that can be worked around with by using an external keyboard - I'm using a mechanical one myself.

I cannot fix a broken/crippled/limping CPU, so .. that's bad. So much worse than the keyboard.

The rest of the package seems quite nice. The screen is neat, the speakers are good, the touchpad serviceable. Comes with nice accessories (the backpack, for example) on top. It could've been great.

But they effed up the keyboard and completely ruined this thing for me with the virtualization issue. :-/
    Last edited by darklajid; 11-14-2017 at 06:56 AM.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

well you have no information in your profile so I don't know what country your in? Here in the US we usually have 30 days to return an DOA notebooks, If your still in that time slot your should do just that. The notebook is not performing as advertised. Get one that does perform as advertised or a refund depending on what vendor your working with.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    well you have no information in your profile so I don't know what country your in? Here in the US we usually have 30 days to return an DOA notebooks, If your still in that time slot your should do just that. The notebook is not performing as advertised. Get one that does perform as advertised or a refund depending on what vendor your working with.
    I'm in Singapore, but I'm an expat and have no idea about that here.
    That said, I'm sure they (and first: the retailer, I didn't get it from Asus, I got it from a local chain of shops that carries Asus products here) would fight that. It would be a pain in the ass to do and cost me time, potentially money.

Right now "resell with a loss" seems the most easy solution. It works without fighting the @^*&^@#$%@ company that broke this laptop and gives me instant peace of mind. Need to see what the liabilities are for a resale here, but then it's basically "Bye ROG, you won't be missed". Sad.

It wasn't advertised as running with virtualization support enabled (even though basically every CPU has that, and the CPU inside supports it. So .. Asus just violated common sense and broke things that "should work"/"use to work", but they didn't claim that it does this on the package. Neither did they announce "Buy this gaming laptop, but your CPU will lack one arm and one leg" either. I wonder why...
    Last edited by darklajid; 11-15-2017 at 03:25 PM.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

If this feature is something that can (should) be implemented in firmware then it's quite possible ASUS will include it in a future BIOS update. It doesn't seem like any sort of proprietary/licensing/certification conflict (like CSM or SLI or VROC or whatever), it seems to be an entirely arbitrary exclusion.

There are alternatives to Bluestack. Annoying that you might have to switch (because of a firmware issue which shouldn't even be present) but still maybe a better option than switching out the entire laptop.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

have you actually spoken to an Asus person? even though your in Singapore I would PM cl-albert he may at least get you the straight information on what your notebook is capable of. I'm not really understanding your issue as all the G notebooks I have had were VM capable Pro version of OS has been required. So this is obviously over my experience. You can trust what cl-albert tells you and he can get you in touch with a Asus Employee in Singapore that might be able to help you?
    In the past Asus has indeed had the Video part of Intel CPU disconnected, I guess cost had a lot to do with this and when it was enabled on the G750 models and others there were all kinds of issues. Like I said before your issue is over my knowledge.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

Super Moderator Array

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay.

Darklajid has contacted me about this issue and I'm still waiting to get an answer from HQ about it if you want to give it more time, but it's usually a good idea to keep checking with your local ASUS support as well since it probably helps get something done if HQ hears about it that way as well.

Anyway, will let you know if I hear any updates or feel free to check back. thanks.

New ROGer Array

If this feature is something that can (should) be implemented in firmware then it's quite possible ASUS will include it in a future BIOS update. It doesn't seem like any sort of proprietary/licensing/certification conflict (like CSM or SLI or VROC or whatever), it seems to be an entirely arbitrary exclusion.

There are alternatives to Bluestack. Annoying that you might have to switch (because of a firmware issue which shouldn't even be present) but still maybe a better option than switching out the entire laptop.
    Bluestack is not my issue. It runs, albeit slowly due to this missing feature. It's just a random emulator and I use it for gaming.
    Hyper-V is something I _need_ and that I bought this thing for. I wanted a work laptop (mostly at a desk, rarely lug it around, power > portability) with 8/16 cores, running Hyper-V...

So the laptop is actually unfit for my work purposes. Evil persons might state 'Well, it is sold as a gaming laptop' - but there's no other Ryzen laptop on the market yet and the next in line will use the less powerful (but more efficient) mobile versions instead.. Bummer

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by cl-Albert View Post
    Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay.

Darklajid has contacted me about this issue and I'm still waiting to get an answer from HQ about it if you want to give it more time, but it's usually a good idea to keep checking with your local ASUS support as well since it probably helps get something done if HQ hears about it that way as well.

Anyway, will let you know if I hear any updates or feel free to check back. thanks.
    Appreciate that, thanks. My local support was entirely unhelpful (to the point that I don't quite believe that my question was understood) and replied:

"Can't enable it in the BIOS (sic)", I followed-up along the lines of "Well, I was searching for that option for hours, so that's expected. But .. can you find out if that will be fixed/supported in the future" to which I got the same reply "Already escalated it: Right now you cannot enable it in the BIOS". I replied again, saying "I get that, I do. I know! Will you fix it in an update?" and haven't seen a reply to that.

(Obviously the above is a terse version and not the real exchange..)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast