Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 92
  1. #61
    ROG Member Array TMM2K PC Specs
    TMM2K PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL702ZC
    MotherboardGL702ZC
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1700
    Graphics Card #1Radeon RX580

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    13

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMono View Post
    As of now I think this laptop is not stable, sometimes BSOD on boot, because of their bios customization) I guess.
    I'm sorry to hear your laptop isn't stable for you but I don't think this is due to Asus messing up the BIOS in this case. I don't run Windows on my laptop and I don't have any stability issues with this machine at all. Usually Linux seems to be more susceptible to poor system firmware when it comes to stability problems as generally these machines are only tested for Windows stability. Any firmware bugs affecting Linux are usually not found.

    Some people elsewhere have commented that for Windows use the system is more stable with a custom reinstall rather than the Asus provided OS image, however. You may want to try that.

  2. #62
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    22

    Quote Originally Posted by TMM2K View Post
    I'm sorry to hear your laptop isn't stable for you but I don't think this is due to Asus messing up the BIOS in this case. I don't run Windows on my laptop and I don't have any stability issues with this machine at all. Usually Linux seems to be more susceptible to poor system firmware when it comes to stability problems as generally these machines are only tested for Windows stability. Any firmware bugs affecting Linux are usually not found.
    Regarding messing up the BIOS... it's just that some BIOS features are still kinda WIP and nothing else. Given my experience on Linux I don't think there are any serious specification violations (UEFI, ACPI, etc.) present with this laptop, so it's safe to run Linux, and the installation of the most recent Linux versions shouldn't be much a problem.

    As of now there's still not yet any news regarding BIOS about this laptop, so for now, formal SVM support is still in a "soon(TM)" state...

    I'm having a few hard freezes with Manjaro Linux on this laptop as well, though I suspect the issue might be related to r8168 as it happened mostly when I was downloading and installing packages through wired connection. Removing r8168 and reactivating r8169 seemed to have suppressed the hard freeze issue, but r8169 appears to have (unconfirmed) issues with power management as the ongoing AUR downloads can fail when the screen closes (locks).

    I've replaced the onboard Realtek wireless module (Bluetooth not functional in Linux) with Intel 8265 and now exclusively using wireless for internet connection. So far the connection looks good, with no hard freezes observed, and the Bluetooth can be used. I'm still considering an alternative for wired connections, though I personally consider USB-to-RJ45 solutions from ASIX (such as AX88179) a better idea as I had positive experience with those.

    For installing Linux, you probably need at least a Linux distro with a 4.14 kernel to at least make most of the stuffs work out of box and to avoid facing too many issues with the installation, such as Manjaro 17.1-pre3 (XFCE recommended). So far everything works (keyboard backlight, brightness settings and so also works), except the touchpad (though I personally don't like it as even under Windows it can be a nuisance when typing as my palm often get unintentionally registered that I often have to find a way to disable it when I have a mouse attached).

    Still, additional cooling might be needed for this laptop, as temperature can affect system stability as well. With only the laptop's own cooling it can still easily reach above 80 Celsius. While it still functions, it's not really advised to run it under such temperature for too long.

  3. #63
    ROG Member Array TMM2K PC Specs
    TMM2K PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL702ZC
    MotherboardGL702ZC
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1700
    Graphics Card #1Radeon RX580

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    13

    Quote Originally Posted by lss41771 View Post
    Regarding messing up the BIOS... it's just that some BIOS features are still kinda WIP and nothing else. Given my experience on Linux I don't think there are any serious specification violations (UEFI, ACPI, etc.) present with this laptop, so it's safe to run Linux, and the installation of the most recent Linux versions shouldn't be much a problem.
    Yeah, I don't have any stability issues with Linux here either.

    Quote Originally Posted by lss41771 View Post
    I've replaced the onboard Realtek wireless module (Bluetooth not functional in Linux) with Intel 8265.
    I've done the same thing. The staging driver for the built-in wireless wasn't very stable for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by lss41771 View Post
    So far everything works (keyboard backlight, brightness settings and so also works), except the touchpad
    The touchpad not working seems to have something to do with the kernel .config, it is actually supported. I have a repository which makes it all work here: https://notabug.org/hp/linux-gl702zc it's basically just a 4.14.3 kernel tree with a patch for k10temp and a .config which makes the touchpad work.

    Quote Originally Posted by lss41771 View Post
    the laptop's own cooling it can still easily reach above 80 Celsius. While it still functions, it's not really advised to run it under such temperature for too long.
    I've seen this too, it is however possible to manually force it to go to a higher cooling state. It appears that by itself it will never really go over cooling state '3' using the ec-probe tool from nbfc you can force it to cool harder (although with the obvious downside of it getting louder) the ec registers for the fans are 0x97 and 0x98 for the left and right fan respectively. The values can go between 0 and 8. I found that at level '4' a make -j16 of Linux will still keep temps in the high 60s rather than high 80s.

    Something that also helps quite a bit is some experimentation I've done with the powerplay table for the rx580, the 'stock' voltages supplied by asus seem much higher than necessary. See this https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...308#post992308 this makes the laptop run a lot cooler also

  4. #64
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    1

    Hi,

    I'e also the same problem :/

    I bought this laptop for virtualization purposes too.
    What a (bad) surprise when I discovered yesterday that AMD-V could not be enabled !
    I thought first I must be either stupid or blind so I googled "gl702zc amd-v" and I found your topic...

  5. #65
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Komas View Post
    Hi,

    I'e also the same problem :/
    The majority might buy this crippled beast with the same purpose not the minority because they had been able to buy i7 7700HQ with GTX1070 at even lower price.

  6. #66
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    22

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMono View Post
    The majority might buy this crippled beast with the same purpose not the minority because they had been able to buy i7 7700HQ with GTX1070 at even lower price.
    8C/16T laptops are quite new, so it's no surprising people'd want that for VMs and emulators (like Bluestacks). Leaving SVM disabled defeats that purpose. For the time being I've not heard of any 8C/16T Intel powered laptops out there.

    It's been about two weeks since I got my unit, and it's about a month since this thread started. Still no news for new BIOS update that supposedly get all necessary features available. Even that, it's still a unit with good potential.

    I'm still preparing the new unit for work, and without SVM enabled I could not continue setting things up anytime soon, as I also need to set up VM environments, some of which require SVM.

  7. #67
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by lss41771 View Post
    8C/16T laptops are quite new, so it's no surprising people'd want that for VMs and emulators (like Bluestacks). Leaving SVM disabled defeats that purpose. For the time being I've not heard of any 8C/16T Intel powered laptops out there.

    It's been about two weeks since I got my unit, and it's about a month since this thread started. Still no news for new BIOS update that supposedly get all necessary features available. Even that, it's still a unit with good potential.

    I'm still preparing the new unit for work, and without SVM enabled I could not continue setting things up anytime soon, as I also need to set up VM environments, some of which require SVM.
    The latest bios update is 10/27/17 and still no SVM, I guess they won't make it possible in this year or never because either GL702ZC has a fault to use SVM or they might focus on product with next gen Ryzen (mobile). I still think this product is NOT reliable and stable, for example some monitor (LG 21:9 wide monitor) doesn't work with hdmi link. might be because RX580 on GL702ZC itself is not standard (downclocked and modified only use 68watt).

  8. #68
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    30

    Right now it's a good idea, poorly executed. And mostly for that flag alone. (I could rant about the keyboard, but .. that's less relevant)

    If someone asks me today if this laptop is recommended, I will reply in the negative because it is crippled without SVM. I'm still unable to use HyperV (Bluestack is a different thing, HyperV is important. Bluestack would be nice to have). This is a problem every single day and my local (Singapore) support was neither able to parse basic, simple English sentences nor helpful in the slightest, so I have no personal way to escalate this anywhere. Hope you had more luck.

  9. #69
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    22

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMono View Post
    The latest bios update is 10/27/17 and still no SVM, I guess they won't make it possible in this year or never because either GL702ZC has a fault to use SVM or they might focus on product with next gen Ryzen (mobile). I still think this product is NOT reliable and stable, for example some monitor (LG 21:9 wide monitor) doesn't work with hdmi link. might be because RX580 on GL702ZC itself is not standard (downclocked and modified only use 68watt).
    There are already bug reports filed about this matter and ASUS did response stating the next BIOS will have it enabled.

    The only problem is that the new BIOS is still soon(TM)... I can wait, but I sincerely hope this can be realized by the end of this year, so I can start my work on this brand new laptop starting next year...

  10. #70
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Hello guys!

    I have this laptop for few days now and i bought it mostly for virtualization because i work with different programs and for his monster cpu.

    I was shocked when i saw amd-v supported but cant be enabled from bios.

    I have one question and its very important for me: will be an update who will solve this problem and make this laptop with virtualization 100% or not?

    Because i have the posibility to return him in next days, after these days i cant do this anymore.

    I saw on some forums, updates like this can be done up to 5 months, i cant stay 4-5 months without working.

    In my country price is close to 2000 usd, those money are not pocket change for some of us, thats why i cant keep it so long just for watching movies and browsing.

    What you say me to do? Keep it or return it? The update will come soon? up to 1 month i found it resonable, but for me its a mistery/enigma how a monster system like this not have a small options like amd-v. Mind blowing. Speechless.

    Best regards and thank you in advance.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •