Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

I too believe that this is a (sad, unfortunate, weird - but not nefarious) oversight.

This laptop is a first and I guess this just didn't come up internally. At least - that's what I want to believe.
    Right now I'm struggling to work with this thing, because I really, really should work in HyperV instances and so far have trouble running stuff locally (and stupid as I am I wiped my previous Intel based laptop in parallel with setting this one up, so I can't go back for a while without investing time to get that one up and running again).

I would be a satisfied customer if this comes out in a low single digit number of weeks..

ROG Member Array

Apparently the SVM feature is included in the BIOS, just that it's disabled by default and is not visible to users, so it's very likely this feature might be provided in later BIOS updates, possibly along with some others that were also hidden.

Actually, someone modified the BIOS file to set the SVM Mode option enabled from inside, then flashed it back externally using a Raspberry Pi with a wired SOP8 clip, as it looks like that flashing of modified BIOS is restricted due to protection. It was confirmed that the SVM does function properly after enabling it this way. Given it can be quite complicated (due to the tools needed) I don't recommend trying this, but it should be enough to explain that the SVM is indeed present, so we can keep our hopes high.

New ROGer Array

Awesome, thanks for the link!

If all else fails I will definitely do that. By which I mean I will find someone that is able to do that for me

What kinda annoys me after a couple minutes of researching about AMIbcp and the solution in that post is .. how easy it would be to fix this oversight for Asus. It's in there, it's just disabled and can be enabled for the final build with a single click...
    Last edited by darklajid; 11-29-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by darklajid View Post
    What kinda annoys me after a couple minutes of researching about AMIbcp and the solution in that post is .. how easy it would be to fix this oversight for Asus. It's in there, it's just disabled and can be enabled for the final build with a single click...
    I 'm not familiar with the process to release new bios versions and may be completely wrong about this, but even if the bios solution is as easy as you mentioned, expect ASUS cannot release an official or approved bios until it has gone through more thorough testing just to confirm there are not any unintended side-effects or bugs.

Or said another way, it may be easy to solve this virtualization issue, but it may take more time or testing just to confirm this fix doesn't cause other problems with unrelated applications so some testing needs to be done for this as well.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by cl-Albert View Post
    I 'm not familiar with the process to release new bios versions and may be completely wrong about this, but even if the bios solution is as easy as you mentioned, expect ASUS cannot release an official or approved bios until it has gone through more thorough testing just to confirm there are not any unintended side-effects or bugs.

Or said another way, it may be easy to solve this virtualization issue, but it may take more time or testing just to confirm this fix doesn't cause other problems with unrelated applications so some testing needs to be done for this as well.
    If this is simply a matter of "not yet thoroughly tested" then I think it'll eventually be tested and be available given the Ryzen laptop is still new. The BIOS also does contain a few more features that are not yet visible to users, so these might also be in the same bucket as the SVM Mode.

Will look forward to the next BIOS update that'll hopefully enable more capabilities from this laptop. :-)

New ROGer Array

I'm not convinced that this is a test thing - but of course I don't know any details myself.

My expectation is that this is literally "just" a flag in the BIOS/EFI and that is provided by someone else. No idea how AMD handles this feature, but afaik for Intel this is really just a flag in the MSR that unlocks new instructions. Asus, for all I believe, creates neither the BIOS/EFI in house nor are the CPUs theirs. I'm not sure what you'd need to test here.

Right now I'm looking into the workaround in the linked post, but I have trouble sourcing the components in a reasonable way (recently moved to Singapore, no clue about electronic markets here so far).

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by darklajid View Post
    I'm not convinced that this is a test thing - but of course I don't know any details myself.

My expectation is that this is literally "just" a flag in the BIOS/EFI and that is provided by someone else. No idea how AMD handles this feature, but afaik for Intel this is really just a flag in the MSR that unlocks new instructions. Asus, for all I believe, creates neither the BIOS/EFI in house nor are the CPUs theirs. I'm not sure what you'd need to test here.
    I'm not sure about the exact reason, but it's likely it hasn't been thoroughly tested to ensure the issue would not have side effects, such as causing system errors, or worse, rendering the laptop unable to boot (black screen). But as the user on that forum who attempted the BIOS flash had no issues with SVM enabled that way, the laptop's BIOS most likely doesn't have any real issues with SVM, even if it hasn't been tested yet.

EDIT: Don't know if ASUS could release beta firmware if needed, but if the problem of SVM being disabled remains uncorrected for too long it's likely to hamper its sales in the long run as having a high core count definitely makes it a good choice for putting up VMs, and having SVM disabled defeats that purpose.
    Last edited by lss41771; 12-01-2017 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Maybe request for a beta?

New ROGer Array

seems they have been looking into this issue since last week, and facing some issues found when enable the CPU VT feature.
    anyway, they may update the BIOS on website after the verification of BIOS pass. hope would be next week!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by hahataxi View Post
    seems they have been looking into this issue since last week, and facing some issues found when enable the CPU VT feature.
    anyway, they may update the BIOS on website after the verification of BIOS pass. hope would be next week!
    Thanks for the contribution here. Can you say where you got that information from? It sounds as if you're in contact with Asus or have another information source. If the latter, can you link that here?

ROG Member Array

Thank you for useful info

I ordered cable and prepared Raspberry pi 3 because I couldn't wait neither believe SVM would be added soon (or never). As of now I think this laptop is not stable, sometimes BSOD on boot, because of their bios customization) I guess. I'll post the result as soon as I modify bios and test.
    Last edited by LifeInMono; 12-06-2017 at 06:42 AM. Reason: alphabet error

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast