cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G702ZC - AMD-V virtualization possible? - solved with 303 bios?

darklajid
Level 7
Hi.

I got the above laptop yesterday. One of the things I plan(ned?) to do with it was running virtualization software.
Unfortunately
1) it comes with AMD-V disabled
2) I cannot find a setting in the EFI to enable it so far

Am I out of luck? Is that intentionally crippled? Or am I just missing something here?
Thanks!
91 REPLIES 91

darklajid
Level 7
Wasn't able to find any information either online or here, so I reached out to the ASUS support and will update this thread when I get a reply.
Would be a shame if I have 8/16 cores .. and couldn't use virtualization as I intended to.

Korth
Level 14
Have you tried enabling SVM in BIOS?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

I haven't found an option for that (that said: This mouse based BIOS/EFI thing is certainly something I could get lost in).

If you have the same thing and actually see that option, then I'd be so glad if you could lend me a hand here.

Korth
Level 14
I don't have this laptop, sorry.

You could look through BIOS screenshots/videos of other ASUS B350 motherboards. Or methodically search your own, top to bottom. It might be called "SMT" (Simultaneous Multi-Threading) or "SVM" (Secure Virtual Machine). Analogous to Intel HyperThreading. I'd expect it to be enabled by default with an 8C/16T processor part, but you never know.

Maybe someone else here can offer better advice specific to your model, lol, though it might take a while.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Thanks, the idea with the screenshots wasn't bad. Unfortunately all the B350 screenshots are looking _completely_ different from what I have here.
So while that is the chipset for this laptop, it doesn't seem to be the same setup as far as I can tell.

I searched the screens already - they're not exactly filled with (editable) content. In fact, I'd say you can do very little. EZ (?) mode is basically nothing at all, Advanced (?) mode quite limited too.

So - I was hoping for someone chiming in and offering a way to unlock this thing into a usable state.

Yep - I too would expect this to be enabled by default. Unfortunately it is not, for all I can tell 😕 If that's an oversight that will be corrected: Fine. If that's a design decision I'd be quite grumpy...

Korth
Level 14
Are you certain you don't have multithreading enabled? How many Cores/Threads are reported by GPU-Z?

[/Korth]

Wait. We're talking different things. I have 8 cores/16 threads enabled.
That's not what this is about.

This is about a feature that virtualization software (in this case: Hyper-V. Random other example to be more in-line with gaming laptop usage: Bluestack) requires. Either to work at all (Hyper-V) or to work somewhat decently/fast (Bluestack).

Intel calls this VT-X or something. AMD calls this AMD-V or SVM. It's not "Hyperthreading" that I care about (that is not even an option, but I have it enabled).

See https://support.bluestacks.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003174386-How-can-I-enable-virtualization-VT-on-... for a random example of what I expect to have/be able to activate. Another example would be https://superuser.com/questions/1248269/can-hyper-v-run-on-amd-ryzen-processors (question is similar to mine, this is what I want to do. Accepted answer talks about the requirements and that - while basically all CPUs support that - you probably need to enable that first. I cannot enable it. Which is the reason for me being annoyed with this laptop at the moment)

See another example of my issue, this time as an image attachment.

Korth
Level 14
Hmm, seems like a "problem" specific to Bluestacks.

The AMD-V Detection Utility might help. ** Edit: some users have reported malware warnings from this download, scan online and offline before installing **
https://support.bluestacks.com/hc/en-us/articles/210806683-How-can-I-enable-virtualization-VT-on-my-...

Or you can try other Android emulators. Sorry, I don't know anything about them - keep meaning to play/learn some Android dev but never seem to actually get around to it, lol.

[/Korth]