Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by yoliny View Post
    Hello guys!

I have this laptop for few days now and i bought it mostly for virtualization because i work with different programs and for his monster cpu.

I was shocked when i saw amd-v supported but cant be enabled from bios.

I have one question and its very important for me: will be an update who will solve this problem and make this laptop with virtualization 100% or not?

Because i have the posibility to return him in next days, after these days i cant do this anymore.

I saw on some forums, updates like this can be done up to 5 months, i cant stay 4-5 months without working.

In my country price is close to 2000 usd, those money are not pocket change for some of us, thats why i cant keep it so long just for watching movies and browsing.

What you say me to do? Keep it or return it? The update will come soon? up to 1 month i found it resonable, but for me its a mistery/enigma how a monster system like this not have a small options like amd-v. Mind blowing. Speechless.

Best regards and thank you in advance.
    Hard to give a recommendation for anyone, I guess. Here's a random subjective opinion from a stranger on the internet. Treat it as such..

No official source has (openly, publicly) claimed that this is going to be fixed, as far as I know. Some people claim they got the 'Yeah, we will get around fixing that" reply, either internally (see posts from Asus employees on this board) or externally as support replies (I .. really don't trust those at all, based on the level of understanding I received locally. I would treat those as canned "whatever enables me to close the ticket" replies until proven otherwise).

There's also no timeline for the fix, as you already know.

So: You say you _need_ that feature. I'd return the laptop in your case. It's not cheap (yes, far more expensive gaming laptops exist, but this is still quite a lot of money) and it's plain broken for your use case as you stated yourself.

I kept mine, mostly because while I can curse and swear at Asus for making this mistake (choice?) in the first place, I can still play games with this thing and work with my old Thinkpad. If you rely on SVM, hand it back. And tell the guys you bought it from that Asus messed up big time, if you do.

(Also, for me personally the keyboard is really, really annoying and bad. Couldn't imagine using it without an external keyboard for anything serious)
    Play with it for a day, decide how important SVM really is and ... just return it

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by darklajid View Post
    Thanks for the contribution here. Can you say where you got that information from? It sounds as if you're in contact with Asus or have another information source. If the latter, can you link that here?
    yeah...from asus cs, and even its difficult to get the info for this issue i really want, just got one helpful(maybe..) couple days ago. They are verifying the new bios for AMD-VT enabled, but still have some bugs to figure out. and they will try their best to release it by this year. anyway, i will still wait then...

New ROGer Array

i have returned this laptop, i was extremly pissed doing this return because everything its ultra on it. Love it, but bad attitude by ASUS with customers and i can say "stupidity" for not doing with "virtualization" or an update at least. STUPID.

What you recommend for me guys on this buget? Im looking for performance on cpu ( more threads ) for virtual machines like memu and other adroid, tablets aplications, multi tasking and so on.

ROG Member Array

I did bios modification and SVM is on (exactly, I unlocked some features to 'USER'), everything is alright except poor wifi (will be replaced with intel dualband)
    and 'garbage' Realtek 8822E.

I highly recommend bios modification if you still have GL702 but for the risk and labor.
    They must know this will occur problem since they sold this and now It's been at least 3months passed without modification.
    I think they will never.
    They even don't modify the download link of wifi adapter driver on their homepage yet.
    (you can get it from LENOVO homepage with googling)

IN MY OPINION, they failed this product
    and just avoiding the result. Their newer product with Ryzen 1600x itself is unacceptable.
    Last edited by LifeInMono; 12-19-2017 at 09:00 PM.

ROG Member Array

It's been quite a while. I've been very busy with work as a lot of stuffs needed to be done by the end of the year.

Given the protection mechanisms incurred with the recent laptops regading BIOS, I think it's possible that for consumer products, the BIOSes for many devices have to be submitted (signed) all at once and then be released on a particular day. Enterprise products might get upgrades earlier given the high demands for security and reliability in those fields. If that's the case, we can only wait.

Even now I'm not certain about the exact reason why ASUS is intentionally hiding this feature. I bought it anyway as there were positive claims that the VM will be available in the next BIOS. I pretty much wanted something that had much more resources than my current laptop, which is powered by AMD A8-3500M, for my work and development, as well as my own pleasure.

The hardware is good in overall, and given the fact it's using a desktop socket, if upgrading the CPU could be proven possible, it can save a lot in the long run.

EDIT: There was a news about the release plans for the Intel Security Hole which involves a lot of other models. The release date was set to January, 2018 for non-commercial models. This date might also be the release date for other stuffs as well. I cannot be so sure about this, but I sincerely hope things will eventually work out.
    Last edited by lss41771; 12-23-2017 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Maybe it's to be released alongside Intel ME firmware update for other models?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by lss41771 View Post
    EDIT: There was a news about the release plans for the Intel Security Hole which involves a lot of other models. The release date was set to January, 2018 for non-commercial models. This date might also be the release date for other stuffs as well. I cannot be so sure about this, but I sincerely hope things will eventually work out.
    It would be exceptionally stupid to tie an update for AMD CPUs to a release specifically for Intel ME vulnerabilities in my book. There's no way to explain that away.

By now I'm getting quite angry and annoyed. This issue should be well-known. The fix can be trivial (if you're fine with taking about the laptop and have access to the right tools), as demonstrated by another user already. The unwillingness to make good for their error _in a timely manner_ is completely crazy at this point.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by darklajid View Post
    It would be exceptionally stupid to tie an update for AMD CPUs to a release specifically for Intel ME vulnerabilities in my book. There's no way to explain that away.

By now I'm getting quite angry and annoyed. This issue should be well-known. The fix can be trivial (if you're fine with taking about the laptop and have access to the right tools), as demonstrated by another user already. The unwillingness to make good for their error _in a timely manner_ is completely crazy at this point.
    Yeah, I've been trying my best to keep myself from reaching the patience's limit...

It's almost a month since I got my unit, yet there are still no news about a formal fix for this issue. I prefer avoiding doing something that risky for the time being as the device is still under warranty, but if ASUS is not doing anything to get the SVM issue fixed then I'll have no choice but to actually conducting the modding and flashing manually.

But anyway, considering how they deal with such a trivial problem, maybe I'll think twice before getting another ASUS product from now on.

ROG Member Array

I got a support message

Hello everyone,

I finally have received an official answer for Asus support December, the 21st :-)
    They will release, within 2 weeks, a new BIOS version that will support AMD Virtualization.
    Currently this new BIOS version is in a test phase.

Good news isn't it !

Best regards.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by f.courtault View Post
    Hello everyone,

I finally have received an official answer for Asus support December, the 21st :-)
    They will release, within 2 weeks, a new BIOS version that will support AMD Virtualization.

Good news isn't it !

Best regards.
    Still "within 2 weeks"... It's been quite a while since the thread started and many who had already filed the bug to the support had received similar replies implying the new BIOS is coming soon(TM)... <sigh>

Originally I wanted to get the unit prepared for work before the end of the year, but now I think it's not possible anymore given it's almost time for a "Happy New Year"...

Quote Originally Posted by f.courtault View Post
    Hello everyone,

Good news isn't it !

Best regards.
    Good news indeed.

Unfortunately, I wanted to test a Windows Subsystem for Linux feature (launching VS Code from WSL) that would greatly boost my performance in a Linux to Windows porting effort, and currently it's only available on the Insider Fast Ring. I wanted to test it in a VM in case something goes wrong my main OS is unaffected and I only had time to test over the holidays. Entered Fast Ring on my main OS and indeed the feature works but Edge is so unstable it is borderline unusable.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast