Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

They seem to have released the BIOS update (303) and I can confirm that SVM can now be enabled from the BIOS.
    Did not have an issue with qemu on Ubuntu (17.14)
    Though I have yet to run any virtualization on Windows via Hyper-V as I am busy updating to W10 Pro so that I can enable it.

Edit: Just noticed its not yet published in the US site (Though it is available in Turkey site: https://www.asus.com/tr/Laptops/ROG-...Desk_Download/)
    Last edited by lightistor; 12-30-2017 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Added link

ROG Member Array

Exclamation Need help reaching the flash chip...

I found the latest BIOS, but when flashing using the built-in EZ Flash 3 the system for some reason froze completely at halfway and now I have no other choice but to attempt a manual flash using a SPI programmer as the flashing obviously failed and couldn't boot anymore... but I dunno how much I need to disassemble in order to reach the chip. I do have a SPI programmer and clip at hand.

Guess even ASUS' own utility isn't reliable after all as I never had serious issues like this in the past...

EDIT: Somehow the board came off on its own and I'm able to find the chip in question on the back side of the board... manual flashing is in progress and I'll check if the BIOS is really working as intended... but anyway I'd never bother flashing the BIOS of this one ever again...

EDIT 2: Okay, I got the latest BIOS flashed the hard way, at the cost of the unit's SN (not a big deal other than warranty related issues anyway)... but again, I just wanted to say that the BIOS nowadays has grown way too complicated to do in-system flashing anymore... Anyway, the new BIOS can now properly enable SVM mode and the PC should now work as intended.
    Last edited by lss41771; 12-30-2017 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Fixed it, just to leave things here to say "be careful".

ROG Member Array TMM2K PC Specs
    TMM2K PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL702ZC
    MotherboardGL702ZC
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1700
    Graphics Card #1Radeon RX580

Red face

I just flashed 303 also and (nested) KVM works for me on a Fedora 27 host also. This laptop now does everything I wanted it for, huzzah.

TMM2K PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL702ZC
    MotherboardGL702ZC
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1700

Because the person above me had problems flashing let me describe the exact steps I took for a successful flash:

* unzipped the BIOS package
    * formatted a USB drive with a 1gb fat32 partition
    * copied the BIOS file to the root of the drive
    * powered off the machine (not a reboot)
    * put the USB stick in the left side USB port
    * turned the computer on
    * enter BIOS immediately (f2)
    * went through the EZ flash steps

The flash process took about 10 - 15 minutes it think.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by TMM2K View Post
    Because the person above me had problems flashing let me describe the exact steps I took for a successful flash:

* turned the computer on

It's just that EZ Flash might not be as reliable as to boot into a DOS environment and use a flasher capable of flashing the capsule (BUPDATER, maybe, but ASUS is not providing it for this laptop). With EZ Flash 3 I think you're *advised* to use a small, empty USB drive just to be safe, and ASUS is not warning you about that in the utility because it's *supposed* to be "EZ" as in "easy".

Because of this unreliability, I ended up spending 2 more hours figuring out how to take the mainboard off the laptop so I can attach my SPI programmer to the MXIC 128Mbit (16MB) SPI flash chip on the back side of the board. I've now recovered the system, but I lost the device S/N in the process (the S/N and MAC now reads N/A, but it has no apparent impact when using Linux).

Anyway, the new BIOS can indeed enable SVM and then virtualization features can work as intended, just be careful when using EZ Flash as it might not be "easy" at all.

TMM2K PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL702ZC
    MotherboardGL702ZC
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1700

Quote Originally Posted by lss41771 View Post
    It's just that EZ Flash might not be as reliable as to boot into a DOS environment and use a flasher capable of flashing the capsule (BUPDATER, maybe, but ASUS is not providing it for this laptop). With EZ Flash 3 I think you're *advised* to use a small, empty USB drive just to be safe, and ASUS is not warning you about that in the utility because it's *supposed* to be "EZ" as in "easy".
    I did not mean my description in any way as a way of correcting you personally. Sorry if it seemed that way. I just thought it'd be useful for any other users to have my exact steps that worked for me.

I'm glad you managed to recover your laptop though!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Why not use the WinFlash utility?

Ok... so, this may sound like a strange question, but why bother with DOS or EZ flash when you could simply use WinFlash utility?
    I installed the 300 bios version on my GL702ZC easily enough and had no issues with WinFlash utilities over the past decade on multiple laptops.

TMM2K PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL702ZC
    MotherboardGL702ZC
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1700

Road Cabra

Quote Originally Posted by deksman2 View Post
    Ok... so, this may sound like a strange question, but why bother with DOS or EZ flash when you could simply use WinFlash utility?
    I installed the 300 bios version on my GL702ZC easily enough and had no issues with WinFlash utilities over the past decade on multiple laptops.
    I can't speak for the other people in this thread but in my case it's because I don't run Windows on this laptop. I got it as a Linux workstation.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by TMM2K View Post

* turned the computer on

I also updated bios from version 300 to new one using EZ flash from bios. However I did not format my pendrive, I just put bios file after extraction to root directory of my 32GB pendrive. Then I chose this file in EZ flash and folowed instructions. Everything lasted about 5 minutes and went flawlessly.

I too used WinFlash. It came pre-installed (at least one bloatware was useful) on the machine. Download the zip, extract and point the program to it. It extracts, and reboots into BIOS and calls the EZ Flash utility with params so it finds the extracted BIOS on disk. No USB drives involved. Once it finishes (the progress bar is really slow at first, I thought it's waiting on me, but don't touch; it's flashing alright), it will reboot back into Windows and you're good to go.

I can see virtualization being enabled in Windows, but I can't seem to install Hyper-V. The option doesn't show in the GUI, neither does the Enable-OptionalWindowsFeature PowerShell cmdlet seems to work. Has anyone ACTUALLY installed Hyper-V?

Edit: I just saw that the machine came with Win10 Home, instead of Pro, even though my retailer noted Pro. Now I have to upgrade to my institutes Enterprise version...
    Last edited by MathiasMagnus; 01-09-2018 at 10:16 AM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast