Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

lol there's a call center near my work, tech support and sales stuff - they're always understaffed, they're always hiring, their turnover is extremely high. I imagine the "techs" find it just as frustrating as the customers do.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Finnaly my account got approved for posting.

I have the very same issue as @darklajid. I am physicist (HPC and GPGPU, dominantly on AMD GPUs) and sysadmin, hence being able to run Hyper-V (or any other hypervisor) is a **must**. I was looking for a decent AMD GPU, and there were not many other options than the GL702ZC. The lack of AMD-V on such a beastly laptop ain't a dealbreaker for me, but very much a pain, because I cannot run VMs locally.

The way I imagine the lack of AMD-V support could have happened one of a few ways:

1. ASUS wanted a product real fast (the R7 1700 version became available just 2 weeks ago in Hungary where I live) and they release the product with a half baked BIOS. I certainly hope so they intend on finishing it up.
    2. ASUS thought: gamers don't need that sh*t, we'll just omit implementing it in the BIOS. It's all for the better, enabling unused features marginally increases power consumption, so it will be 0.01% easier to cool the device.

So here's my 5 cents:

Dear ASUS,

the first time I bought a RoG notebook was 6 years ago, it was a G73Jh (Core i5-450M, Ati Mobility Radeon HD5870) which was a real beast at its time. I still take it to LAN parties and it runs demanding games like the new Unreal Tournament at playable framerates. ("playable" must be interpreted in a slightly liberal way, it's 6 years afterall.) The brand stole my heart, loved that rig and still do. For my GPGPU efforts though, I needed a GCN architecture dev box, so I went with a Lenovo Z50-75. A budget choice I have mixed feelings about to say the least: 2 years and the chassis hopelessly broke in the same location for both me and my collegue with the same laptop. We both decided to aim for less budget and search toward the high-end/premium side of the sepctrum. I was mostly looking for sexy 14" notebooks and then I saw the specs of the GL702ZC: love at first sight. The size wasn't really intimidating. I took my G73Jh to work every day on public transport, it was the minimal exercise an office rat like me needed.

Once I had it in my hands, the GL702ZC didn't fail to impress. Building with MSVC on 16 cores, running OpenCL and SYCL code on the RX 580 and after work playing games @60FPS was exactly what I was looking for. The series of amusement came to a halt when I tried to install Hyper-V.

The GL702ZC is a signature machine, and in case the aim was to demonstrate how to look over details, it is a major success. I know having a good reputation is a burden, because one has to live up to it with every product, but the RoG name is still catchy, so don't let it slip to the "good enough for gamers, but not a serious machine" level. We know the R7 1700 is AMD-V capable and we expect it to work. If the chipset is in any way incapable of realizing it, LET US KNOW (!) so we can take measures, may that be selling this otherwise damned fine piece of HW, or finding workarounds. Both will hurt recommendations, but less than the usual tech support answers we are able to receive. If it can work, then issue a new BIOS ASAP. Shipping of this product started a few months ago, that must've been enough time to cook up the missing parts of the BIOS.

Best regards,
    a RoG fan

Please convey to the appropriate places.

New ROGer Array

I .. love you for saying that.

For the record: I'm new to the RoG brand. I'm a developer and gamer, I need Hyper-V to run multiple machines in isolation to emulate different deployments. Any machine I've seen for years could run Hyper-V (if you're not on Windows Home Edition or something). I was totally taken aback when I noticed that this one isn't able to do that. It _should_ be able to do that.

I agree with the previous post in that an official (aka: "Not the tech support I can contact") answer would help a lot, even if it's a "We can't do that" with 2-3 lines of "because..." would be helpful. Ideally - yes - this is an oversight. But then I have no clue if posts like mine (and his) are able to reach anyone at Asus that can actually do something about it?

Maybe the actual Asus guys on this forum could - if it's okay, if it doesn't cause problems for them - share if there's a feedback channel to the people that are in charge of the design and development of these products?

Super Moderator Array

Still waiting to hear back from HQ about this on my end and hoping it's just a matter of time before a bios update can be released to support it, but still don't have any official confirmation that this will happen.

Anyway, was thinking you might also want to feedback to your local store/reseller in addition to your local support which hopefully HQ will hear about and take more seriously since it might be considered a lower priority request if only a few people are asking for it right now, etc.

There is a product feedback section on the ROG forums, but not really sure who is monitoring it and if this is the kind of issue that belongs there although might be worth a try.
    HQ should be aware of this issue already since I have a pending case with them about it though, so hopefully I'll get some kind of update relatively soon. Thanks.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?293

New ROGer Array

Hi cl-Albert, any news on feedback from HQ yet ? I raised a case with ASUS, their response was a bit werid ..

"It's our pleasure to help you solve your problem.
    If you still have any technical issue,please feel free to contact Asus technical support team at https://www.asus.com/support/Product...ces/MailStatus.
    Thank you.
    Kind Regards,
    Asus Technical Support Team "

That's it, no info relative to the question I asked about BSIO v300 not have SVM/AMD-V enabled and when would the ETA be for an update etc ..

I also filed a case with Amazon as that's where I bought the G702ZC so hopefully there will be some pressure there.

I also tweeted ASUS ASUSUK without any response as of yet .. we live in hope ..

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by 12tkram View Post
    Hi cl-Albert, any news on feedback from HQ yet ?
    Hi (welcome to the forums by the way),

Unfortunately, still no update on my end from HQ, so sounds like it will take more time before we can find out what will happen...
    Apologize for the delay.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by cl-Albert View Post
    Hi (welcome to the forums by the way),

Unfortunately, still no update on my end from HQ, so sounds like it will take more time before we can find out what will happen...
    Apologize for the delay.
    k bud, thanks for the response ..

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by 12tkram View Post
    k bud, thanks for the response ..
    still in 2 minds whether to return the laptop to amazon, have a few weeks yet as its not fit for purpose, I run some VMs that do number crunching and without AMD-V its pointless

any idea on an ETA ? or just one of those "have to wait and see" situations ?

I need to be mindful as the window to return the laptop is creeping up, but if ASUS will definatley release an update with AMD-V switch then I will keep hold and wait it out.

Super Moderator Array

I'd really rather wait to have a solution before saying anything in case there are any complications, but HQ finally sent me an update last night and mentioned

"Will enable CPU Virtualization/Hyper-V at next BIOS version.

ETA will be two or three weeks"

which I suppose I should share in case it actually happens.

I'm a bit of a worrier and don't expect this is an official reply or guarantee, so a good idea to be prepared for delays or changes of plans, but at least it sounds like we are planning to have a solution in the near future if you want to check back.
    If you want to be safe and have the option to return the system without a restocking fee before your return window expires, it may be a good idea to do this and wait until solution is confirmed.
    Apologize for the delay. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by cl-Albert View Post
    I'd really rather wait to have a solution before saying anything in case there are any complications, but HQ finally sent me an update last night and mentioned

"Will enable CPU Virtualization/Hyper-V at next BIOS version.

ETA will be two or three weeks"

which I suppose I should share in case it actually happens.

I'm a bit of a worrier and don't expect this is an official reply or guarantee, so a good idea to be prepared for delays or changes of plans, but at least it sounds like we are planning to have a solution in the near future if you want to check back.
    If you want to be safe and have the option to return the system without a restocking fee before your return window expires, it may be a good idea to do this and wait until solution is confirmed.
    Apologize for the delay. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
    That sounds promising, I will see what they say on my official support case, if it says something similar then alls good .. thanks again!!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast