Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by cl-Albert View Post
    I'd really rather wait to have a solution before saying anything in case there are any complications, but HQ finally sent me an update last night and mentioned

"Will enable CPU Virtualization/Hyper-V at next BIOS version.

ETA will be two or three weeks"

which I suppose I should share in case it actually happens.

I'm a bit of a worrier and don't expect this is an official reply or guarantee, so a good idea to be prepared for delays or changes of plans, but at least it sounds like we are planning to have a solution in the near future if you want to check back.
    If you want to be safe and have the option to return the system without a restocking fee before your return window expires, it may be a good idea to do this and wait until solution is confirmed.
    Apologize for the delay. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
    Appreciate the update, unconfirmed or not. Thanks!

New ROGer Array

I am the third guy...

Hi,

I bought this laptop for virtualization purposes too.
    What a (bad) surprise when I discovered yesterday that AMD-V could not be enabled !
    I thought first I must be either stupid or blind so I googled "gl702zc amd-v" and I found your topic...
    I just could not believe a laptop with such characteristics lacks virtualization features ! This machine should normally be born for that kind of use !
    I opened a case too and am waiting, wondering if I bet on this future AMD-V enabled BIOS or if I return it back to my reseller (what a heartbreak in this case)

It is the only laptop with ryzen and I feel like a beta tester for a prototype.
    It might be a nice job but for now I need stability, working on cisco certification process.

Anyway, thanks for the informations and keep us informed, I will follow the topic and share the answer to my opened case when I get it.

Sorry for my poor english, I'm french

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

My experience would say that its not going to happen. I have no Idea about AMD cpu or gpu, but with Asus if its suppose to have it and doesn't it will be like TB was on the G75VW few if any ever got it. the G75VX did get it. Something as basic and VM didn't get over looked it was left out intentionally perhaps similar to the onboard graphics on the Intel chips. they did activate it on the G750 models and it was problem after problem so it was dropped again with the release of the G751.
    I think if this were my situation I would send it back as DOA to Amazon, and purchase a Notebook with Intel CPU. Just MHO
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    My experience would say that its not going to happen. I have no Idea about AMD cpu or gpu, but with Asus if its suppose to have it and doesn't it will be like TB was on the G75VW few if any ever got it. the G75VX did get it. Something as basic and VM didn't get over looked it was left out intentionally perhaps similar to the onboard graphics on the Intel chips. they did activate it on the G750 models and it was problem after problem so it was dropped again with the release of the G751.
    I think if this were my situation I would send it back as DOA to Amazon, and purchase a Notebook with Intel CPU. Just MHO
    It's definitely the safer approach just to confirm the solution is available before purchasing this notebook, but HQ did (unofficially?) indicate there were plans to solve this in a future update, so expect we will be able to get a solution for this for anybody that is 'stuck' with the unit.

I didn't find out the reason for the omission, but AMD notebooks are not very common for ASUS and the G702ZC may be our first Ryzen based notebook, so perhaps it was just an oversight and/or something that required more time to implement.

If the hardware is capable of supporting it, makes sense we would release a bios solution to support this particular feature which is available on most or all our Intel CPU based notebooks.

We may get a better idea in a few weeks of the situation for those that are interested and any customers with this notebook (or planning to purchase?) may want to follow-up with their local ASUS support just to let HQ know customers worldwide are asking about it and it's not being requested by just one ASUS employee monitoring the ASUS forums : ) .
    My indications are that ASUS HQ is interested in supporting this feature though, but again probably doesn't hurt to remind them through your local ASUS support.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by cl-Albert; 11-22-2017 at 05:48 PM.

New ROGer Array

For the others ZC owners in here: Would you mind looking at my other thread [1], telling me if this is something you see on your machines as well?
    I'm going mad here..

1: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post687548

New ROGer Array

Just a quick update on both my support cases with ASUS .. as listed above, no official announcement yet, but they are going to speak with HQ and feedback as soon as they can ( no timescale given )

Also, on a side note, if you are going to use linux as the virtualisation host, then you may need to consider the following npt kernel patch

https://level1techs.com/article/patc...er-performance
    https://forum.level1techs.com/t/guid...package/121481

I also hear that qemu doesn't deal nicely with hyper-threading on Ryzen

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ry...DqOn8wewiI7IAQ

might have to pin on the host and then set affinity on the guest maybe as a work around

lots to consider :?

ROG Member Array TMM2K PC Specs
    TMM2K PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL702ZC
    MotherboardGL702ZC
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1700
    Graphics Card #1Radeon RX580

Before seeing this thread I contacted my local Asus support. They contacted HQ and told me that AMD-V will be supported in next BIOS.

Not sure if that constitutes an official reply? But I got it through Asus support and there was no 'maybe' or anything. I asked for an ETA but that was not possible.

So I assume that unless Asus will just not create a BIOS update for this machine at all AMD-V will be supported some time soonish?

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

Yes I guess you could ass u me that
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Member Array

I think this is a kind of deceit. when people buy this notebook (include me) they think it must have Virtualization support (AMD-V / SVM) but it doesn't and the seller didn't mention it. They only says "THIS HAS RYZEN 1700" and that's it. There are many laptops with INTEL i7 7700HQ + GTX1070 on (even) lower price than GL702ZC also. Anywhere on internet such as youtube, review site and even product home ASUS didn't say it has no SVM. ASUS should have notified to customer about this lackage. The truth they deceived customers won't be changed even if they will add AMD-V with bios update.
    Last edited by LifeInMono; 11-28-2017 at 09:59 PM.

ROG Member Array TMM2K PC Specs
    TMM2K PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL702ZC
    MotherboardGL702ZC
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1700
    Graphics Card #1Radeon RX580

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMono View Post
    The truth they deceived customers won't be changed even if they will add AMD-V with bios update.
    My guess is they had a list of features to complete for their gold master release and they forgot to put this on it, or they just didn't put it on the list of features to test. I highly doubt this was nefarious or even that someone purposefully removed it. They probably have some kind of standard bring up checklist and I'd guess that virtualisation extensions just aren't on that checklist for gaming notebooks.

For me at least if Asus comes with a firmware update in the next couple of weeks I'd be a happy customer. Not as happy as if the firmware was coreboot based of course

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast