cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX501 Zephyrus critical CPU Temperature

RebDo
Level 7
Hi 🙂

I am truly worried about my cpu temperatures in my GX501.

I often played PUBG in the past, and i checked the temperatures in the system information in the asus gaming center. The GPU temp is not critical, but the CPU is at 96-98 degrees Celcius. The T Junction Temperature for the i7700HQ is at 100 degrees, but if the cpu is often so hot i am worried about the persistence and the product reliability of my notebook.

Is the temperature in the gaming center correct or which software for temperatures do you use ingame?
I read that there is no chance to manually control the fan, i play with headphones and not with battery, so the notebook can be as loud as it has to. If the Fans are manually set to 100% maybe the cpu temperature is lower. Maybe its possible to slow the cpu a little bit down, if the voltage is a little less?

I am thankful for every hint. I dont want to get an technical fault very soon cause of the high cpu temperature 😞
3 REPLIES 3

PiTpOsSuM
Level 7
RebDo wrote:
Hi 🙂

I am truly worried about my cpu temperatures in my GX501.

I often played PUBG in the past, and i checked the temperatures in the system information in the asus gaming center. The GPU temp is not critical, but the CPU is at 96-98 degrees Celcius. The T Junction Temperature for the i7700HQ is at 100 degrees, but if the cpu is often so hot i am worried about the persistence and the product reliability of my notebook.

Is the temperature in the gaming center correct or which software for temperatures do you use ingame?
I read that there is no chance to manually control the fan, i play with headphones and not with battery, so the notebook can be as loud as it has to. If the Fans are manually set to 100% maybe the cpu temperature is lower. Maybe its possible to slow the cpu a little bit down, if the voltage is a little less?

I am thankful for every hint. I dont want to get an technical fault very soon cause of the high cpu temperature 😞

Hi,

first of all I would suggest do undervolt your CPU with XTU. Please choose -100mv and check the temperatures again. If you do not know how to undervolt there are many guides in the internet. With XTU it is very easy. I would also suggest you install HWINFO and check the temperatures of CPU in a stresstest like OCCT.

If your temperatures are still to high you can contact the ASUS support for replacement or you can repaste your CPU and GPU where you have to opel the whole laptop. I have repasted and dropped my temperatures for abour 15C.

Intel said under 100c is within spec even it throttles. To my understanding, every CPU bin is different even on desktop. Some do have power leak and some don't and runs more efficient.

Desktop has more room for temperature control because you can always varies base on chassis air flow and watercool or AIO. For laptop is very limited how much you can do to reduce the temperature physically.

Choice is to repaste the thermal paste but that will void your warranty. So we down volt it till it is stabled. I managed to down volt the CPU -135mV and that cut down from 95c to 81c, gaming load at 79c max.

Chip binning same for GPU AMD / Nvidia. Some GPU can run much cooler with the same design and shroud. So this is not defect.

Just laptop always run at the peak limitation. Sometime the peak is too much to handle for a poor bin chip or lots of power leak.

Undervolt is best choice ever! Thanks a lot.

I used XTU to go to -0.130 and the temperatures are about 80 degrees, but not higher, so about 10 or 11 degrees less than before.

I want to repaste, but i dont want to lose the warranty, so i will wait till the laptop is out of the warranty and then repaste 🙂

Thank you all 🙂