ROG Member Array

Strix Wireless - Buzzing noise when plugged in

There's a really annoying buzzing noise coming from the left ear all the time.
    If I turn my head a specific direction it cuts out, but only in that specific position.
    The buzzing is appearing as soon as the red light on the wireless module starts lighting up.
    When I plug it in the USB port, there's no issue, it's only as soon as the light is lit which I reckon is when it's connected to the headset.

The buzzing seems less intense if I plug it into my USB3.0 hub instead of directly into the pc, but it's still there.
    I reckon this must a software issue since the buzzing is only active when connected to the wireless module.

I'm running Win7 x64

I want this resolved please. Expensive headphones shouldn't have issues like this.

ASUS HQ Service Rep Array Bill@ROG's Avatar

Hello Flagstang
    Have you tried plugging to a different USB port or different computer?
    if the issue persist, I would suggest to RMA your unit. Thank you

ROG Member Array

I tried different USB ports and an external USB hub.
    I don't have another computer so I can't try that.
    The computer is properly grounded.
    The issue is only present when I plug the wireless dongle in, wait a bit for the light to turn red, and boom, static noise.
    I think it might be a software issue.

Administrator Array MasterC@ROG's Avatar

Hi Flagstang,

ROG Strix Wireless has a 'battery low' warning sound. Can you check if the power button is flashing blue? Please charge the headset for a while and try again.

New ROGer Array

Angry Should I RMA?

I purchased Strix Wireless headset today and it also has that buzzing when my head is not in certain direction. In one direction, it doesn't buzz but when in other direction the buzz from left speaker is awful. I also tried my laptop and it just keeps giving that static noise. Analog cables don't give buzzing noise but it's wireless headset and I want to use it wirelessly.

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

The fact that the buzzing changes with direction screams of EMI. If it was a constant no matter how you head is turned, thats another story and could be something different. Are you using anything else wireless? BT devices? Logitech unifying receiver with mouse or keyboard?
    Do you have a cell phone in the proximity?
    Wireless landline?
    What type of monitor are you using? some emit noise.

EMI can be a PITA to eliminate but it can be done, just have to find what it is that is causing it. Top two contenders are cell phones and wireless landlines. Even a PC wireless N.
    Anything that uses the 2.4GHz frequency band, which is a butt load of stuff!!

One final thing to eliminate is 60Hz hum. Is your machine and electrical distribution in your dwelling or office properly grounded? The head turning thing kind of rules this out but its a strong possibility for constant hum both wired and wireless.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    The fact that the buzzing changes with direction screams of EMI. If it was a constant no matter how you head is turned, thats another story and could be something different. Are you using anything else wireless? BT devices? Logitech unifying receiver with mouse or keyboard?
    Do you have a cell phone in the proximity?
    Wireless landline?
    What type of monitor are you using? some emit noise.

EMI can be a PITA to eliminate but it can be done, just have to find what it is that is causing it. Top two contenders are cell phones and wireless landlines. Even a PC wireless N.
    Anything that uses the 2.4GHz frequency band, which is a butt load of stuff!!

One final thing to eliminate is 60Hz hum. Is your machine and electrical distribution in your dwelling or office properly grounded? The head turning thing kind of rules this out but its a strong possibility for constant hum both wired and wireless.
    I tried disabling my ASUS router and put my cell phone in airplane mode. Noise stops at certain angle to the dongle and moving my laptop or changing USB slot changes the angle that there is no noise. I bought the headset at local store and I think it was returned once because the packacing seemed to be opened once before getting to me. I'm returning it tomorrow for replacement as I think the headset/dongle is faulty.

I tried troubleshooting by turning off every electronic appliance and unplugging them, but just with my laptop with dongle in and outdoors the noise stayed unless the headset was in certain angle to dongle.

New ROGer Array

Im having the same issue, did you ever found out a reason or fix or did you just return them?