cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound control over HDMI using keyboard shortcuts (FN keys) on G75VX W7

Sprachinseln
Level 7
I could really need some help. I use my laptop mostly for teaching these days, connecting to a large HDTV with HDMI. As soon as I do, I loose all sound controls (sound is there) with keyboard (FN plus/minus volume, mute/unmute).
I can use the Windows speaker icon on the taskbar and control it that way - but that is not a solution given the constant full-screen videos and PPTs I am using.
I can hook up a VGA cable and can control everything via keyboard, just not with HDMI.
Did a clean install of original NVIDIA drivers, but no change. Everyone down at Instructional Technology is at their wits' end trying to figure out this problem.

Does anyone have any pointers or run into the same/similar issue?
I would appreciate any input to solve this issue.

Best,
Dieter
3 REPLIES 3

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Welcome to the forums!

If it doesn't make any difference if the audio comes from your HDTV or notebook, try to right click the speaker icon to select playback devices and select your notebook audio instead of the HDMI audio output.

Not sure if it will work or not, but probably worth a try if it hasn't been done already.

In the past there seem to be more customers reporting that they couldn't get audio through HDMI , so seems a little ironic you want the opposite thing 🙂 .

Hope it helps, but feel free to let us know if it doesn't work and to ask for more ideas.

cl-Albert wrote:
Welcome to the forums!

In the past there seem to be more customers reporting that they couldn't get audio through HDMI , so seems a little ironic you want the opposite thing 🙂 .

Thanks a bundle for responding. But No, I do want the sound, but I need to be able to control the volume (especially the mute/unmute function) without interfering with video playback or PPT with video and sound. It is the loss of keyboard controls for the sound via HDMI output that has everyone puzzled here.

Best regards,
Dieter

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Ok, was assuming you could use the sound from your notebook instead of the HDTV, but not sure if it will work and if that will be an acceptable solution.

If it works any better and you still want to have the sound coming from your HDTV, you may want to do as I suggested earlier to switch the audio playback device in Windows from HDMI to your notebook audio, but use an audio cable from your notebook speaker/headphone jack to the HDTV audio input jack if available which will hopefully still allow you to control the audio as before when the HDTV was not connected.

Not the prettiest solution and don't know if it will all work out, but just another idea if you cannot get a more elegant or easier solution.
Don't know if the HDMI audio can be controlled through the Fn keys though if you want to wait for more feedback about this.