cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Official VROC key for X299 info . R6E users who want to use VROC please check.

restsugavan
Level 13
Our buddy name " Birdman941" talking with Alberto R in the name of Intel Corperation.

https://communities.intel.com/message/503349#503349

So with no key, there is no VROC RAID? Period?
-That is not correct, with the VROCISSDMOD you can set RAID 0-1-5- and 10 and there is no key needed.

With key "VROCISSDMOD" raid 0/1/5/10 are supported with Intel SSD and no other brands?
-Based on the chart, that is correct.

With VROCSTANMODRAID there is no mention of Intel or other brands. Is it Intel only or will others such as 960 Pro Samsung work? (With Asus hyper m.2x16 card)
With VROCPREMMODRAID there is also no mention of Intel or other brands, although there is a list of a couple others including a couple of Samsung M.2 drives.
-According to the chart only the VROCISSDMOD required and Intel SSD.

There is also no mention of specifically the X299 boards, but there are mentions of Xeon boards.
- When it launched, Intel VROC was primarily intended for professional workstations and server platforms. However, you can potentially enable it on any platform with the Intel VMD feature. As of September 25, 2017, Intel VROC is supported on X299 High End Desktop platforms as well. Check HEDT marketing team for specific Intel VROC support on X299 platforms.

Are the keys for X299 and 2011-3 (Or whatever) interchangeable or different?
-Each key has its own unique specific function

In order to make this work in ANY VROC RAID config, a key is required? (Assuming not running through chipset)
-That is not correct, with the VROCISSDMOD you can set RAID 0-1-5- and 10 and there is no key needed.

I have also heard this entire VROC has been handed over to motherboard mfr's for their implementation and validation. Is that true?
-That is correct, several OEMs and ODMs have designed in Intel VROC into appropriate server and workstation platforms. We can provide guidance after the OEMs and ODMs launch products, but we recommend you ask your server or workstation provider directly.

Do the keys need to be purchased through Intel, or Gigabyte/Asus/Asrock, etc?
-Correct, Intel does not sell any products directly, Intel sells products through our authorized distributors. In this case you will need to purchase them through the computer manufacturers or OEM’s(Original Equipment Manufacturers).

Anticipated availability date through whomever will be distributing these keys?
-Yes, you will need to confirm that information directly with the OEM.

W11CANARY 26085.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X
18 REPLIES 18

JustinThyme
Level 13
Sorry but from my seat the only thing official about this is adding more unnecessary confusion. Official would be from ASUS or intel, not an alleged C&P of a conversation. This has already been circulated in several forums.
In the end the Intel rep posted no more than we already knew right up to saying the keys will only be availabe from OEM and Systems integrators who can get them through the intel distributers, they will not be available for sale to the public and they still did not specify a key. This chart was posted by brighttail weeks ago.

So in summation a few things we know.
One, we cant currently get a key, Intels official position is its on the OEM and ASUS has stated they have no plans in place at this time to provide keys (politicians statement with no conclusive outcome).
Two, 960 pros were able to be put in raid zero through software in trial mode only. The BIOS says "Not supported"
Three, M2 32GB optane drives can be made bootable with horrendous benchmarks but still show as trial mode so a key is required for those also.

To date one user has posted success with Intel 900P 2.5 inch drives with the M2 cable connected to a Hyper M2 X16 card showing favorable results.

Anything else is conjecture even some of it coming from Intel reps that have contradicted themselves and back paddled their way out of what they said making only vague statements intentionally. Just like politicians.

The questions all revolve around X299 platforms and not one rep has just come out and said hey, this is the key you need (all VROCSTANDMOD keys are not created equally and support different boards) and it will support these drives in this raid configuration on these boards. Its a very simple answer that is being dodged like a flea bitten dog at a socialite gathering. Intel is putting it on the OEMs and the OEMs are putting it on Intel. Unfortunately we are not privy to any pre production agreements between them. The fact the HEDT is a niche market also works against us.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

About a month ago Mouser had them listed as discontinued.
I emailed Intel and asked them wtf?
Evidently Intel straightened it out with Mouser.com some time last week or so.
I posted that info on another thread.

birdman941 wrote:
About a month ago Mouser had them listed as discontinued.
I emailed Intel and asked them wtf?
Evidently Intel straightened it out with Mouser.com some time last week or so.
I posted that info on another thread.

Will that key work with RVIE or not?

JustinThyme wrote:

M2 32GB optane drives can be made bootable with horrendous benchmarks but still show as trial mode so a key is required for those also.

M2 32 Gb Optane drives can be raided and made bootable, without any necessary key, like the 900P, and in my opinion, benchmarks are very acceptable for such small drives, despite the writing speeds being on the low side:

Of course the resulting capacity is not adequate for most users.

Anyway the fact that on this platform i can not make a bootable raid0 with Samsung 960PRO, made me try another consumer HEDT platform that has not such intricacies .... and works very well ....

i9 7900X OC to 4.7 with stock Mesh.
4 900P on Hyper card (U.2 to M.2)n RAID0
VROCISSDMOD key
1080ti Hybrid
(Board picks up all fans on hub. Crazy RPM is all combined)

squawker wrote:
M2 32 Gb Optane drives can be raided and made bootable, without any necessary key, like the 900P, and in my opinion, benchmarks are very acceptable for such small drives, despite the writing speeds being on the low side:

Of course the resulting capacity is not adequate for most users.

Anyway the fact that on this platform i can not make a bootable raid0 with Samsung 960PRO, made me try another consumer HEDT platform that has not such intricacies .... and works very well ....

Write speeeds are not on the low side, they are on the HORRENDOUS side and the primary reason I ditched the idea of using 4 of them and just a boot drive with minimal other installations. You can run two 960 pros in raid 0 and boot from it if thats what you want, just not in VROC which defeats the purpose. You end up with the DMI bottleneck which is about the speed of a single drive then when raided take a horrendous hit in 4K low que depth performance which is the most important and where you will see a definite oprational speed difference.

other question about the key

The key that I can confirm to work with Intel drives only
VROCISSDMOD
Version# J55733-100
MM# 956822

The ones linked on Mouser are the correct version.

Please check here, I already went the once around with ASUS. IMO there is abosolutely no reason they should not be including the keys bundled with the MOBO and create all the fuss over what sells for $8.99 retail and they probably procure a thousand from Intel for $1 each.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Write speeeds are not on the low side, they are on the HORRENDOUS side and the primary reason I ditched the idea of using 4 of them and just a boot drive with minimal other installations. You can run two 960 pros in raid 0 and boot from it if thats what you want, just not in VROC which defeats the purpose. You end up with the DMI bottleneck which is about the speed of a single drive then when raided take a horrendous hit in 4K low que depth performance which is the most important and where you will see a definite oprational speed difference.

Well, i agree to disagree on this matter, write speeds are not “horrendous”, actually the humble VROC with 32 GB Optanes has superior 4K Q32T1 and comparable 4K Q1T1 read and write speeds than the 4 x 900P just posted below my first reply and other published VROC benchs using this platform.

And imo these are the parameters by which the Optanes SSD’s should be judged, especially 4K Q1T1, since it’s one key parameter in Optane drives and one of the features that distinguishes Optanes from the crowd. And the sequential Q32T1 and 4k Q8T8 write speeds are more than adequate for most users.

About 960PRO not being possible to be raided in this platform, ofc I was referring to VROC, since this thread is about this subject.

And again, the hit in the 4k low queue depth suffered by 960PRO (and other NVMe SSD’s) when properly raided through chipset, is not “horrendous” (this word again…), in fact there is only a very tolerable hit in 4 k read, but there is a gain, in variable amounts, in all other parameters, and it’s to the user to judge if the raid is valuable or not, in the specific user environment:

Single 960PRO

960PRO raid through chipset

Brighttail
Level 11
Hey birdman I think you made a mistake saying 960P using U.2 to M.2. I think you mean 900P not 960. I didn't want you to confuse folks who think they might be the samsung 960s and not Intel 900ps
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop