Headset Turtle Beach Ear Force Stealth 450
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300
    Headset/Speakers Creative SoundBlasterX Katana
    OS Win10 Pro OEM
    Accessory #1 Asrock Thunderbolt 3 AIC
    Accessory #2 Rockit Cool X299 delid tool
    Accessory #3 COUGAR Armor-S Gaming Chair

Yeah you're right Brighttail.
    Brain fry after a long weekend geeking on this thing.
    Still debugging it.
    Fixed earlier post, thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by birdman941; 02-27-2018 at 03:23 AM.

ROG Member Array

Anyone know the VMD layout for R6E?

Grabbed two 900P 480GB PCI-E x4 SSDs and I’m trying to figure out how to not waste my second (true) X16 slot on a Hyper M.2 quad with a couple of nasty PCI-E to M.2 adapters :/

Currently have a poseidon 1080ti, a thunderboltex 3, and the two 900ps and would like to plug in another Poseidon if I ever find one for sale for a reasonable price.

Running in RAID 0 with windows boot manager on my Samsung 850 evo 1tb sata drive, booting to the array, but it’s across VMDs:

https://imgur.com/gallery/OR7bx CM6 scores

Currently: *

POSEIDON [X16]
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ [X0]
    EMPTY [X8]
    TBEX3 [PCH/X4]
    900P [X16 at X8 for X4]
    EMPTY [X0]
    900P [X8 for X4]
    Last edited by dru__; 03-08-2018 at 03:15 AM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Write speeeds are not on the low side, they are on the HORRENDOUS side and the primary reason I ditched the idea of using 4 of them and just a boot drive with minimal other installations. You can run two 960 pros in raid 0 and boot from it if thats what you want, just not in VROC which defeats the purpose. You end up with the DMI bottleneck which is about the speed of a single drive then when raided take a horrendous hit in 4K low que depth performance which is the most important and where you will see a definite oprational speed difference.

Well, i agree to disagree on this matter, write speeds are not “horrendous”, actually the humble VROC with 32 GB Optanes has superior 4K Q32T1 and comparable 4K Q1T1 read and write speeds than the 4 x 900P just posted below my first reply and other published VROC benchs using this platform.

And imo these are the parameters by which the Optanes SSD’s should be judged, especially 4K Q1T1, since it’s one key parameter in Optane drives and one of the features that distinguishes Optanes from the crowd. And the sequential Q32T1 and 4k Q8T8 write speeds are more than adequate for most users.

About 960PRO not being possible to be raided in this platform, ofc I was referring to VROC, since this thread is about this subject.

And again, the hit in the 4k low queue depth suffered by 960PRO (and other NVMe SSD’s) when properly raided through chipset, is not “horrendous” (this word again…), in fact there is only a very tolerable hit in 4 k read, but there is a gain, in variable amounts, in all other parameters, and it’s to the user to judge if the raid is valuable or not, in the specific user environment:

Single 960PRO

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yhPYAPi.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	72129

960PRO raid through chipset

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kSpkYcP.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	72130

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

I think what Justin meant was that going through the DMI is going to set an upper limit due to bandwidth, especially on Seq Read/write as the ratio of adding an extra drive isn't perfectly scaleable, once again due to the Bottleneck of the DMI. Justin got the Optane 32GB drives in VROC and that was what he was slamming. Pretty much useless.

Yes 960s can be put in RAID 0 as a non-boot/non-VROC drive just fine and scale almost perfectly x2. Personally running the RAID 0 through the DMI chipset simply is not worth it.
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 4x8 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p in a bootable VROC RAID 0 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Spatha
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

ROG Member Array

Got my VROCISSDMOD key from Mouser in the mail today. Plugged it in and immediately saw performance issues. BIOS was beyond sluggish. Ended up unplugging both the key and thunderbolt cable before it returned to normal. This sucks. Any ideas?

Key was recognized in BIOS and my RAID 0 still listed bootable. Tried installing Windows over the existing volume but it was not happy with the GPT situation once I disabled the SATA controller to prevent it from putting the boot files on my SATA SSD

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

Technically if you have two intel drives you don't need this key, even to boot off them. If you are trying raid 1,5,10, then you would.
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 4x8 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p in a bootable VROC RAID 0 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Spatha
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Brighttail View Post
    Technically if you have two intel drives you don't need this key, even to boot off them. If you are trying raid 1,5,10, then you would.
    I believe RAID 1 doesn't require the key either.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Brighttail View Post
    i was hoping the cross-VMD limitation was key dependent. Still haven’t been able to boot directly from the RAID 0. Ordered the Hyper X16 card from B&H but don’t have a clue when it will get here and I’m still frustrated I can’t figure out how to avoid occupying the second GPU slot.

Asking again: Does anyone know the VMD layout or can help peg it down? I don’t have any M.2 drives handy. Waiting on my M.2 to PCI-E x4 adapters to arrive so I can try the DIMM.2 in combination with the various PCI-E slots

ROG Member Array

Was able to barely get the adapter installed today to install a PCI-E 480GB 900P on a riser from the DIMM.2 and thankfully the bottom PCI-E slot is on the same VMD controller as the left DIMM.2 slot (facing RAM).

Not happy with the current configuration but I tracked down a supplier for NVMe extension cables, so I should be able to tuck all the ugliness on the backside of my case.

If anyone seeing this ever intends to configure accordingly, please do not attempt without a NVMe M.2 extension cable, the PCI-E x4 adapter mounted directly on the DIMM.2 will not clear RAM in channel A, nor will it clear your 24 pin connector on the opposite side!

The advantage to this approach is my second X16 lane is still open for an additional GPU, though I’m not sure if it will be in X8 mode…

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2